Was Poka Rei really what the fans wanted

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

Was Poka Rei really what the fans wanted

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Mon May 04, 2015 7:22 pm

I remember reading somewhere that Poka Rei was what the fans wanted, so they got it in 2.0. That said, was Poka Rei really what the fans wanted in Japan and the west? Because it wasn't what I wanted, or expected. Then again, I'm not everyone. Furthermore, was it what the community here wanted for her character, also? I'm just curious.

Slightly edited. Please don't use the '-fag' suffix here. - NemZ
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

Shoujo Kakumei Asuka
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shoujo Kakumei Asuka » Mon May 04, 2015 8:01 pm

From what I've read, there are a few people who claimed Rei had good development that was ruined in 3.0, but otherwise I'd say it's not what they wanted for the majority of Rei fans. In fact, Rei fans in general have been relatively mad about everything relating to Rei throughout the Rebuild. They are even more mad about Rei Q, but it doesn't change the fact that they generally seemed to not like Rei in 2.0 that much. The ironic thing too is that more casual fans seemed to prefer Poka Rei over the obsessive fanbase.

Now Shinji. Tons of people were excited about "badass" Gurren Lagann Shinji in 2.0.
I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over... - Spike Spiegel

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Mon May 04, 2015 8:38 pm

I actually liked Rei Q. I feel the previous iteration of Rei(2.0) was too predictable. Oh wow, she's cooking for Shinji. Oh wow, she's menacingly glaring at the sharp knife. How brave of you Rei. I felt the development was... More than Rei Q, but it wasn't in a direction I personally liked. It was sorta predictable once it got started. And while Rei learning to express her emotions could have certainly led up to the conclusion of 2, it was imho done in a linear(predictable) strategy(though the events that transpired in 2 were most definitely not).

Rei Q was lobotomized(which added to the dark outlook of the whole movie). Sure this meant for a lot less real interaction but it also slightly paralyses us at first, in the same way that it scares Shinji. It's like "Rei was cold before but now she's just incapable and empty. What the hell happened?" Plus, her development at the end of the movie - she actually showed signs of having a will(I personally extend this to her "growing a soul," which could be very interesting for Final) - was not ordinary nor expected.

I guess I'm really fond of Rei Q, but I have been on the sidelines, cheering for previous Reis too.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue May 05, 2015 12:54 am

'Rei Q' is her own person, and I'll be interested to see what sort of person she will become. I would be very annoyed if she were somehow just sacrificed to bring 'Poka Rei' back in Final, as that's a severe disservice to her as an individual.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 05, 2015 11:50 am

My hunch is that if anything, Rei 2 will be the one sacrificed (so to speak) while Rei-Q will be the one to live on.

More interesting dynamic that way, I think.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Well, I'm sure we won't end up with two Reis having a conversation and comparing notes! If they both survive, they will at least be in different forms.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue May 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Did we ever get confirmation that it was really 2.0 Poka-Rei that Shinji heard calling out to him in the first act of 3.0? Or was that Rei-Q?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Not as far as I can recall. I expect we won't have more information until the last film, or even the CRC (I'm assuming that the CRC for Q will be delayed until after then to avoid spoilers).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue May 05, 2015 5:09 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I expect we won't have more information until the last film, or even the CRC (I'm assuming that the CRC for Q will be delayed until after then to avoid spoilers).

Yeah, there's no way the CRC is coming out before Final at this point. It's been 2 and a half years since 3.0 came out, so I think we should all just conclude that Anno & co. are intentionally delaying it because of too many questions they would have to say "No comment" to...and 3.0 left us with a LOT of questions.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Tue May 05, 2015 6:05 pm

Being the Rei fanboy that I am, I am overall pleased with her character in Rebuild, including her Q version. Heck, it's arguably her relationship with Shinji that acts as one of the main center pieces of the entire saga so far. Even in Q, it's Poka's absence that leads to many of the plot developments in the film.

Personally, I really hope that Poka Rei at least gets some closure regarding her character arc. I hate it when authors just drop someone's development because the plot says so. She doesn't have to survive, but one can't just ignore her altogether. As for Rei Q, it will be interesting to see how she progresses, now that she, like Poka Rei, is also beginning to develop beyond just an unfeeling clone. However, she's a soulless shell, so that kind of makes her character hard to write for and predict. Without her soul (which is in Unit 01), she can't really become human.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 05, 2015 6:32 pm

Only thing we know for sure to differentiate the Reis is Rei 2 = 1.0 and 2.0, since her tank collar (...creepy) in 2.0 even says "Rei II" on it.

We still don't know if the source of that voice in Shinji's head was Rei 2 in Eva-01, or Q-Rei...I'm sure FINAL will clear things up, unless it intentionally wants to leave things ambiguous. :devil:

LightDragonman: I've noticed in all the Rei threads, you're concerned about Rei's overall development being dropped for FINAL, and I highly doubt they would drop it. It's been a major relationship throughout the NTE film series, it wouldn't make any sense to ignore either Rei in the final part of the story.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Tue May 05, 2015 9:05 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Only thing we know for sure to differentiate the Reis is Rei 2 = 1.0 and 2.0, since her tank collar (...creepy) in 2.0 even says "Rei II" on it.

We still don't know if the source of that voice in Shinji's head was Rei 2 in Eva-01, or Q-Rei...I'm sure FINAL will clear things up, unless it intentionally wants to leave things ambiguous. :devil:

LightDragonman: I've noticed in all the Rei threads, you're concerned about Rei's overall development being dropped for FINAL, and I highly doubt they would drop it. It's been a major relationship throughout the NTE film series, it wouldn't make any sense to ignore either Rei in the final part of the story.

Well that means we are waiting till that 2016 release date then.

Did they officially announce there would be a 3.0 CRC? Or are we all thinking there will be due to pattern with 1.0 and 2.0?

It would be a complete surprise if we don't get any development from ReiQ and closure from ReiII, which from every Eva fans stand point is impossible, Like SSD she is a major part of the Rebuilds and the one of the main reasons why 3.0 has the world go to poop in the first place.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Seoul Gamer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seoul Gamer » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:41 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:LightDragonman: I've noticed in all the Rei threads, you're concerned about Rei's overall development being dropped for FINAL, and I highly doubt they would drop it. It's been a major relationship throughout the NTE film series, it wouldn't make any sense to ignore either Rei in the final part of the story.

I think Rei Q will be a big deal, for sure. She's a "vessel of Adam" or something along those lines. She's guaranteed to be important. Not only that, but this time around her sense of identity won't revolve around choosing between Shinji and Gendo. She's already began making her own decisions towards the end of Q.

Rei II is a non-issue since she's essentially dead now. Her comment in 2.0 about how she was like the fish in that she couldn't "live anywhere else" was meant to foreshadow that she wouldn't be able to live in the physical world any more, in my opinion.

Honestly, I was hoping to see a dramatic and tragic story surrounding Shinji and Rei II's relationship in Rebuild, but that never materialised. Since Gendo was actually trying to bring them together he doesn't try to seperate them or do anything that would have made their mushy romance more interesting. The relevalation that she's a clone of Shinji's mother loses the horrifying impact it would have had on him since Rei's already beyond saving at that point. The Oedipul implications of that revelation are introduced at the worst possible time, since no one cares any more and any dramatic tension it might have caused is wasted.

Funnily enough, I actually preferred the original series Rei II, with all her philosophical pondering and her heroic sacrifice for Shinji. Rebuild's Rei II was...kind of wasted, really. :/
Be warned, I may occasionally ask stupid questions.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:58 pm

View Original PostSeoul Gamer wrote:She's a "vessel of Adam" or something along those lines.

I thought mk.09 was the Adams vessel, with Mari warning Rei Q that she would become one herself if she didn't eject (whatever that is supposed to mean)
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:51 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:I thought mk.09 was the Adams vessel, with Mari warning Rei Q that she would become one herself if she didn't eject (whatever that is supposed to mean)

Precisely. Mark.09 is the Adams vessel, and Rei is just a clone. I believe Mari said she'd be absorbed into the Eva if she stuck around too long, essentially equaling death. I wonder if that had happened to others in the Ayanami series.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ispellnogood » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:34 am

I think poka Rei isn't what fans wanted. They definitely wanted something deeper from her character. I believe poka Rei to be kind of parody of Rei. A waifu that anno believes every Rei fan wanted her to be. It kind of is a waste of Rei's potential as a character. She really has been reduced to the S-DAT, and object that used to escape reality.

The whole "message to otaku" point of evangelion seems to be what dictates the characters and plot of eva. All throughout evangelion, there's a lot of potential that's been wasted because of this otaku message.

Honestly, I was hoping to see a dramatic and tragic story surrounding Shinji and Rei II's relationship in Rebuild, but that never materialised.

I was hoping to see something like that too. But Rei has become a major anime waifu, if it materialised it would give some subtance to anime waifus. Which goes against the point of evangelion.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:33 am

View Original PostIspellnogood wrote:I think poka Rei isn't what fans wanted

I'm sure the fans are pretty much irrelevant; what goes into Evangelion is what Anno wants.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:03 am

I didn't know I wanted Poka Rei until it happened. And then it happened, and I found myself rooting for a character that people never really knew to root for to begin with in NGE. Rei II in NGE always came off as a bit more mysterious than anything else. She was a case that needed to be solved more than she was a character going through development. What little she had in NGE was amazing, and when the case was solved it lead into only more questions about her relationship with Lilith and Yui.

Poka Rei, on the other had, set goals for herself and then set about accomplishing them. It was kind of charming to watch. Mind you that I don't think that this was better than NGE's Rei II, only that's strengths lay in a completely different narrative goal.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:39 am

I didn't really consider the concept that this Rei might be different, considering how close 1.11 was to the original. Poka Rei didn't really poke her head out (lololololololI'm sorry) until 2.22, so I didn't have time to think about if I wanted her until I had her, and then I went, "Yes, this is nice too."

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:23 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:'Rei Q' is her own person, and I'll be interested to see what sort of person she will become. I would be very annoyed if she were somehow just sacrificed to bring 'Poka Rei' back in Final, as that's a severe disservice to her as an individual.

It wouldn't just be a disservice to her as a person, it would render her character arc in Q completely pointless. After spending an entire movie being confronted with the knowledge she isn't Rei Ayanami 2, the last thing she needs is to be body jacked by said person's ghost! Rei Q seems detached from the "Rei Ayanami" identity, so I'm hoping Final will give her a new name to go along with her new sense of self, one that lets her be something besides "that other Ayanami."

It might not happen until late in the film, even until the very end, but I think Rei II will return in Final. They could have simply killed her if she wasn't going to come back, and they had storyboards for that, but they decided to have Unit 01 take her instead, and I feel like that's significant. With all the god-like world ending power it possesses, surely Unit 01 could conjure up a new body for her.

As for Pokanami, I'm mostly in agreement with FreakyFilmFan4ever. Rei II intrigued me as a character, but after episode 5 I just didn't find her engaging. Pokanami started to develop her own agency. Like the dinner party; she drew conclusions from her interactions with others, sounded out the participants and came up with the plan all by herself, all because she wanted Shinji to be happier. She even gets to be sneaky! "It's nothing. I'll tell you later!"

The change in English voice actresses had something to do with it too. I'm probably in the minority here but I find Palencia's deeper voice a much better fit for Rei than Lee's.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”