Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:50 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Mostly because it was terrible. Ugly SSJ 4 form, magically de-aging Goku, Baby, Tuffles, Bluntz waves, a general lack of quality plots even by DBZ standards, lack of Toriyama involvement, etc. Just a heaping helping of bad all around.

Eh plot was the usual stuff as always. Not better or worse than DBZ in my opinion. For me the original Dragon Ball was a lot better than Z or GT. It's not like Z was so perfect that GT couldn't live up to it. The SSJ4 form was very cool. Better than the new shit like god form, blue hair saiyan.

Also i liked the fact that the first half was more like the original series and the other half like Z.
Last edited by Dima on Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:01 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Eh plot was the usual stuff as always.

Well, no, it wasn't, which is why fans hated it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:14 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well, no, it wasn't, which is why fans hated it.

Yes it was. And i have seen many fans liking it. Of course they are not the majority but specifically not all the fans hated it.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:27 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Yes it was. And i have seen many fans liking it. Of course they are not the majority but specifically not all the fans hated it.

No, the plot is exceptionally awful, and most fans hate it which is why Toei has been trying to bury its legacy in recent years.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:41 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Eh plot was the usual stuff as always. Not better or worse than DBZ in my opinion. For me the original Dragon Ball was a lot better than Z or GT. It's not like Z was so perfect that GT couldn't live up to it. The SSJ4 form was very cool. Better than the new shit like god form, blue hair saiyan.

Also i liked the fact that the first half was more like the original series and the other half like Z.

Most of the arcs in dbz imo were better then gt, not all but most.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:49 pm

I would love to see them take some ideas from multiverse, that wont happen cus fan-work and all but LSSJ Bra yes pls.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:36 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:I would love to see them take some ideas from multiverse, that wont happen cus fan-work and all but LSSJ Bra yes pls.

Including a female super saiyan or having the strongest character be female is something they really need to do at this point. They have to do it; it's the one major thing missing from the entire series. You'd get a female character who would be just as powerful as some of the most powerful guys (other than 18) for female fans to feel like they're being represented well and for straight/bi male and/or lesbian/bi female viewers to find hot. They'd fucking win both ways if they pulled it off correctly with proper characterization!
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:26 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well, no, it wasn't, which is why fans hated it.

Fan response is meaningless. Most of the greatest things in this world are unknown or hated. That said, I have no interest in DB.

Shoujo Kakumei Asuka
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shoujo Kakumei Asuka » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:34 am

View Original PostBryan wrote:Fan response is meaningless. Most of the greatest things in this world are unknown or hated. That said, I have no interest in DB.

I don't think that's really true. Dr. Strangelove? 1984? The Iliad? Evangelion? People do seek out popcorn entertainment, and that's fine, but truly great works tend to shine as well.

Anyway, I think it's a little too early to judge Dragon Ball Super one way or the other. We'll find out how good it is when it airs.
I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over... - Spike Spiegel

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:51 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Including a female super saiyan or having the strongest character be female is something they really need to do at this point. They have to do it; it's the one major thing missing from the entire series. You'd get a female character who would be just as powerful as some of the most powerful guys (other than 18) for female fans to feel like they're being represented well and for straight/bi male and/or lesbian/bi female viewers to find hot. They'd fucking win both ways if they pulled it off correctly with proper characterization!

Basically this, there is a reason videl and android 18 are super freaking popular.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Sun May 10, 2015 10:14 am

The only good thing about DB would be the narration to go back to the pre-Z period.
Like all the stuff Goku might have done after beating the Red Ribbon (and Pilaf again) and before the Tenkaichi tournament with Tenshinhan, the one that sparks the Piccolo arc.
It's a 3 year period of goku travellign and training, plenty of nice stuff could have happened then, still in the style of old DB, before it all got Saiyan and übermuscular.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon May 18, 2015 3:23 am

Dragon Ball Super will also get a manga adaption. Toyataro will draw (he also did the manga version of Resurrection F) and Toriyama is credited as the original creator, as well as for "original story & character concepts''.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-18/dragon-ball-super-tv-anime-gets-manga-adaptation/.88276

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:35 am

So anyway I watched half of the new resurection of freeza movie....I know I should stop expecting anything in dbz to make sense, but the sharks that were jumped..

So let me get this straight, the reason why freeza couldnt fullfill any of his goals in the series was just because he was lazy? I mean I was thinking freeza got that strong at first by fighting those teddy bears in hell or somehting, but no it was stated when he came back he was even weaker then when he was alive, so that means in those few months of training he was able to get in the same range as the strongest gods in the dbz universe. If he trained for a fewmore months he probably wouldnt even need the dragon balls to get imortalif that's the case. I mean he obviously didn't like being weaker then his dad, he didn't have plans to wish the guy back but that wasn't enough to make him train to get stronger. It probably would have only taken a day or two of training for him to surpass him. And then there's the saiyans, if there was a saiyan uprising lead by regular super saiyans a week of training would probably be enough for freeza to take care of that. So yeah all I can conclude here is the only reason why Freeza couldnt just up and kill everyone is because he was too lazy to do so...damn....I mean the only villain in db canon or not canon I can think of who might be dumber then this is Garlic Jr...damn just damn...

So yeah hopefully they make this storyline make more sense in super because boy does it ever not make sense in the movie.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:23 pm

I want this to go in the right direction for a DBZ series sooooo badly. Seriously this is what is bringing me back into DBZ in the first place. So far the only thing that kills me about the show are the wives and the amount of screen time they get. Videl is perfect waifu girl while Chichi is an insufferable bitch as usual.

please wake me up when they give Dodoria and Nappa, my DBZ OTP their own series

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:29 pm

I hate what they did to videl, like i really do, she goes from badass tomboy to waifu for laifu mode in a few short episodes.
Just............no, i shouldn't be going to dragonball for my strong female characters outside xenoverse anyway but its just sad........

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:45 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:no, i shouldn't be going to dragonball for my strong female characters outside xenoverse

It's a series who's main demographic is young boys, what did you expect?

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:59 pm

You act like it cant happen just because its written for boys.
I don't mean to nitpick but i just really hate that old excuse of "its written for boys therefore female characters must all be the stay at home wives"

Do i need to point back at full metal alchemist? riza, winry and olivier mira armstrong (yes i have to use her full name) contribute a lot to the story and are baddasses in their own right and FMA is shonen just like DBZ.
Back when jojo was shonen battle tendency had lisa lisa.
SPOILER: Show
though everyone besides joseph in That story was doomed to fail somehow so im not sure if that counts

My point is saying that because the main demographic is young boys its expected for the females to be inconsequential is an excuse not a reason.
Also welcome back DP.

Man i suck at laying out my words in a non cluttered manner.........

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:25 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:You act like it cant happen just because its written for boys.

Don't put words in my mouth.
You misunderstood
I never said it can't happen, just don't expect it to happen often.

Do i need to point back at full metal alchemist? riza, winry and olivier mira armstrong (yes i have to use her full name)

Apples to Oranges - you are comparing two different series drawn in different decades, and published by two different magazines.
WEEKLY JUMP really doesn't have that many strong women heroes compared to the other SHONEN
publications...

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Eh my biggest problem is akira keeps introducing potentially great female characters with launch, 18, videl and then largely ignores them and stops their growth dead which really highlights the problems with that to me, it annoys me much more than in other shonen because it feels like bait "hey see this strong female character? yeah you aint having that"

Also i apologize about my wording of what i was trying to say in the first part of my post, it wasn't the best i admit and kinda failed at getting my point across but i wasn't trying to put words in your mouth.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:39 pm

What about Arale from Dr. Slump (Toriyama's previous work) She a great female character.

- Suicidahlia

Return to “Anime and Manga”