Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Dragon Ball Super (General)

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:54 am

Set after Majin Buu saga with foe stronger than Buu. Airing in July.

More here:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-28/dragon-ball-gets-1st-new-tv-anime-in-18-years-in-july/.87608

I changed the thread's name to "Dragon Ball Super (General)". It better reflects its current state - BernardoCairo
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:17 am

Can't say I'm really too excited about the new movie.... But a new tv series has made me shit my pants in anticipation :scanners_head:

That said, it has to be better than GT..... God let it be better than GT.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 am

As much as I liked Dragon Ball series I'm not extatic about new series. Somehow it gives me a Simpsons vibe - Don't push it so far it becomes a farce. Seriously in last movie, an unbeatable god that could destry Frieza at whim but didn't get to it and Goku going Sayan deity? No thanks. I'm not loking foreward to it. The franchiese has ben chewed and regurgitated too much for my taste.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:09 am

Yes, be better than GT (which I've heard of more than seen, but yeah).

The only proper response:

SPOILER: Show
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:26 am

Hmmmm somehow I have a bad feeling about this, but we'll see how it goes. Are the battle of the gods movies going to be canon in this I wonder?
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Never understood the Dragon Ball GT hate but..... whatever.

The only thing i want from this is the return of Future Trunks as one of the main characters.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:03 pm

So how many episodes will each fight take? Will there actually be more than one fight? And how much time of each episode will they spend staring at each other?

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:43 pm

And screaming. Don't forget the screaming XD
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:10 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Never understood the Dragon Ball GT hate but..... whatever.

Mostly because it was terrible. Ugly SSJ 4 form, magically de-aging Goku, Baby, Tuffles, Bluntz waves, a general lack of quality plots even by DBZ standards, lack of Toriyama involvement, etc. Just a heaping helping of bad all around.

I wonder to what extent Toriyama will be involved in the new series? It will be good if it continues the DB/DBZ vibe, but I wonder how it will manage it. Does Resurrection 'F' have anything to do with it? Or perhaps the gods? So many questions!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Set after Majin Buu saga with foe stronger than Buu.

*sigh*

I wish I could say that I was excited for this...but I'm not. Unless they do something radically different, it just sounds like the same regurgitated "each villain is the strongest being in the universe" schtick that has formed almost every large plotline of DBZ. They need to do some character exploration, kill someone off, have a romance, just mix things up in some way because honestly the standard DBZ formula is stale as shit.

In short: Why?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:07 pm

^ Because fans like the same thing regurgitated to them ad nausea.

Or at least they think that's what they want until they see the new Dragonball & realize it isn't exactly like the show that ended 20 years ago.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:13 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Ugly SSJ 4 form

No way, this was the only good thing to come out of GT! :lol: And I'm sad to see it discarded.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:18 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:No way, this was the only good thing to come out of GT! :lol: And I'm sad to see it discarded.

Ugly monkey form pls. go.

Another question comes to mind: will we get to see mystic Gohan in action? Because man, that would be cool. That was my biggest complaint about the Buu arc, and if they address that . . . wow.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:30 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:*sigh*

I wish I could say that I was excited for this...but I'm not. Unless they do something radically different, it just sounds like the same regurgitated "each villain is the strongest being in the universe" schtick that has formed almost every large plotline of DBZ. They need to do some character exploration, kill someone off, have a romance, just mix things up in some way because honestly the standard DBZ formula is stale as shit.

In short: Why?

I've pretty much given up asking that question as anyone whose paid attention to my opinion knows I think this should have ended with the freeza arc.

That being said by dbz standards at least battle of the gods wasn't bad, I mean it had problems sure but it was a hell of a lot better the the buu arc or gt, so if this series is like battle of the gods quality that'd be cool.

Speaking of which, an enemy stronger then buu or freeza? I have heard in the new movie freeza has a 100 quintillion power level. By my estimations at best ssj3 goku has a power level in the trillions, so that would be a huge jump to be made with his god form from Gokus regular max to be able to fight something like that, and now were getting something stronger in this series (assuming the new movies are canon to it)

That's a bit much even for dbz...

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:35 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:That's a bit much even for dbz...

But don't forget about Vegito and Mystic Gohan. Still lots of room for growth, I think. And what happens if Mystic Gohan goes SSJ? He'd probably blow up the planet!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:48 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:And what happens if Mystic Gohan goes SSJ? He'd probably blow up the planet!

It's implied that Mystic "form" is his SSJ form, or rather replaces it. After Old Kaioushin finished the ritual, he told Gohan to "do that Super Saiyajin thing" and that's when Gohan became what we term Mystic.

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Speaking of which, an enemy stronger then buu or freeza? I have heard in the new movie freeza has a 100 quintillion power level.

Sounds like one of those made up internet power levels. I'll believe it when I see the movie and read a subtitle of someone actually saying it.

That's a bit much even for dbz...

It's a made-up scale to begin with. :lol: What have these numbers ever meant in real terms anyway? The characters have had (at least allegedly) planet-destroying power since at least as far back as the first battle against Vegeta.

Only now is it ridiculous? :lol:
Last edited by Monk Ed on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:49 pm

The only neat thing to do at this point is having the entire main cast have a gangbang to combine their power levels to defeat the bad guy.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:52 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:It's implied that Mystic "form" is his SSJ form, or rather replaces it. After Old Kaioushin finished the ritual, he told Gohan to "do that Super Saiyajin thing" and that's when Gohan became what we term Mystic.

That "implication" is murky at best, as it amounts to "go ahead, power up". That says nothing about where Gohan can go from his new baseline form. This is the kid who discovered the ascended Saiyan, after all. If anyone can discover new avenues of power it's him.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:00 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Only now is it ridiculous? :lol:

No it was rediculous long before that, I was just saying that this is rediculous even by dbz standards, and dbz standards have rediculousness as the norm. As for the 100 quintillion level it is from

https://www.facebook.com/readmangahere/ ... 06/?type=1

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:37 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Ugly SSJ 4 form...

SPOILER: Show
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Anime and Manga”