Webcomics Central

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Webcomics Central

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:19 pm

Webcomics, you read 'em? I do. Good times, right? :D

This is the new EGF home for the topic, both for recommendations and discussions. A few ground rules though:

1) Don't post the whole dang comic. The creators of these works would probably rather people viewed them at their own sites, especially if they have any desire for ad revenue. A few samples and a link is sufficient.

2) Use spoilers for comics and label them appropriately. If a comic has NSFW content that should also be spelled out.

3) This is only for ongoing works. That means either a single narrative, a series of one-shots, or anything in between. If it's just a random thing you found go ahead and toss it on the latest Moonwalk thread instead.

4) This is only for content that is primarily hosted online. Do NOT link to download hubs for pirated materials available in other forms.

5) A list of recommendations and links will be kept (next post). Please check to see if whatever you want to post is already on that list before you post it.

6) Discussion of said comics is perfectly acceptable here, but some people care about spoilers so be mindful of that.

7) Have fun!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Recommendations Archive:

Ongoing Narratives:

Alice Grove
All new stuff from the creator of Questionable Content

Dresden Codak

Dumbing of Age
Slice-of-life College hijinks with a likeable cast.

EMMA
Little girl fights the undead in a post-apocalyptic world.

Erfworld
Fairly complex narrative about fantasy war gaming.

Freefall
...not sure what's going on, but it appears to involve furries.

Garfield Minus Garfield
It is a journey deep into the mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against loneliness and depression in a quiet American suburb.

Girl Genius
Steampunk adventure comedy, woo!

Gunnerkrigg Court
Steampunk magical boarding school

Homestuck
...Its complicated.

Life is Posers
Punk's not dead!

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things
Gaming humor about how hard it is to be a big musclebound lummox.

Misfile
Think Oh, My Goddess meets Ranma 1/2.

Oglaf NSFW
Mostly fantasy-themed sex comic. Every once in a while it has a clean post.

Order of the Stick
D&D comic essentially following a very long-running campaign. With stick figure art.

Questionable Content
It's kind of a big deal. Also Pwhodges is the forum admin over there.

Scary Go Round
Essentially British weirdness

Schlock Mercenary
...apparently a space opera?

Sluggy Freelance

Something Positive
Utterly misanthropic

Spinnerette
Spiderman parody comic

Undying Happiness
Sweet and crazy with a plot

Korean-style webcomics:

Girls of the Wilds
One guy in an all-female private school full of incredible martial artists.

Tower of God

One Shots:

Existential Comics
Philosophy can be funny, really. Sometimes.

Heck If I Know
All sorts of crazy stuff.

Perry Bible Fellowship
Basically The Far Side with more bitterness.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
Science can also be quite funny, especially when people don't understand it!

XKCD
If you don't know what this is you fail at the internet.

Tumblr Comics:

floccinaucinihilipilification
Dumbledore is a jerk.

Erma
What if the girl from The Ring had a kid?

Help Us Great Warrior

Ticcy Art
"Waifu Emblem" and other fanarts

Completed Works:

Anders Loves Maria
Classic slice of life

FreakAngels
Warren Ellis did a free web comic! Read it!

Krakow

Ow, My Sanity

Problem Sleuth
A finished work by the same people behind Homestuck
Last edited by NemZ on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:22 pm

Is it ok to keep posting the comics i take from tumblr like i do? mostly because tumblr comics have a watermark on them 90% of them time to tell you what the creators tumblr is and tumblr is in itself a sharing site.

Though you guys should all read this if its a general webcomics thread now:
SPOILER: Show

I need to catch up on the series but spinerette is just awesome, it manages to parody superheroes and do it well without ever coming off like it doesn't still love everything about them and manages to get serious at times and have some damn good drama, Rose's seal of approval on this one

I wont post all of issue one but i will post the first few pages:

And yes that guy is meant to be basically gendo in appearance.

EDIT: bah forgot to link the comic because im an idiot [url]http://www.spinnyverse.com/index.php?id=1[/url]
Last edited by Rosenakahara on Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:45 pm

Got a link for that comic?

And really you should probably just link to the tumblr in question anyway, or find out if they have a website. Do a little research, and don't clutter up this thread with endless posts of the same thing... those who like it will follow it, those who don't wont' have to sift through constant updates.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Eh and this is what i was talking about though, i enjoyed posting the daily fire emblem comic and i enjoy posting erma when a new one is released, it feels like it has more value than just posting a link that may be forgotten about a year from now when we are at the webcomics thread 2 or 3 (or this thread was forgotten about).
I feel like a thread like the weird images thread but for comics with a mix of the rules you set down would be best because that way people get a reminder, not everyone has a tumblr ect. :/

I think part of the reason the weird images thread has lasted so long is the way it is set out, the "no sharing the full comic" rule seems fine for a long established and actually publicised series like spinerette or the like but for something like the FE comic or erma where the point is the occasional digest when its updated i feel like that shouldn't be a rule that applies :/
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Ah spinerette... I remeber it. Never got into it tough. Sadly, most of webcomics I do get interested in is on hiatus or dropped. (Like the Sailor Moon webcomic I dropped here left and right XD)

Aside from that one this is another one of my favs.

http://owmysanity.comicgenesis.com/d/20091225.html

I absolutely love this comic :P

Since navigation may be problematic at first, this little picture with the "next day" written under it serves as next page button.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Let's not forget that the writer for Spinnerette used to draw his own comics:
[url]http://www.krakow.krakowstudios.com/krakow/archive.php?date=20030314[/url]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:56 am

I added a whole bunch that I follow up above. Way too many to go over in any real detail, honestly. If anyone would like to suggest a short blurb for their recommendations just send me a PM and I'll add it.

This thread is NOT just for recommendations though... that would curl up and die of boredom super fast. Posting particular comics you want to talk about is totally cool, and this is the place to do it.

As for the tumblr comics... just link to the creator's tumblr if they don't have a dedicated web page.
Last edited by NemZ on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:58 am

I haven't followed it in a while, but this thread reminded me of Help Us Great Warrior!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:17 am

My morning routine goes

http://somethingpositive.net/ -- utterly misanthropic
http://www.sluggy.com/ -- mostly out of habit, these days
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/
http://scarygoround.com/ -- essentially British weirdness

having cut down a lot in the past decade.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:47 am

Sluggy is still going? Wow. I stopped following it years ago, and it had gotten pretty long in the tooth even then.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:54 am

Supposedly it's close to wrapping up, which is why I got back to it after the execrable and overlong Warcraft parody finally ended. But that was a few years ago, and it keeps on keeping on.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:01 am

Well since it seems this is the last time i can post this here due to the webcomics thread not at all being what i expected and killing my motivation/ability to post these:

08:

This was supposed to be shown as a 3 part chapter this time if i feels incomplete, grats you took a good idea and turned it into a reason for me to post less.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:12 am

My current routine:

Questionable Content - See you at the forums!
Alice Grove - New from the creator of QC
Dresden Codak - Very occasional updates in the past, but has new fortnightly schedule
Freefall - Very slow story about robots and society
Gunnerkrigg Court
xkcd

Sometimes I catch up on:

Misfile - Life in the wrong body, but has lost its focus

In the past there was:

Anders loves Maria - Finished; a classic (I have one of the original hand-drawn pages)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:18 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:grats you took a good idea and turned it into a reason for me to post less.

:headscratch: Come again?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Cosmo11
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cosmo11 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:18 am

SMBC  SPOILER: Show

PiB  SPOILER: Show

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:57 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:grats you took a good idea and turned it into a reason for me to post less.

Take a longer look at what you're doing, Rose. Yes, you're sharing something you like. Great! Awesome, even. I'm glad you enjoy it, and I'm enjoying it too.

But you're also spamming up the forum with repetitive content. Anyone who was interested in the first place could just as easily just be given the link to the source to look at on their own if they wanted or to ignore at their leisure. Plus by doing it this way you're not giving anyone an incentive to actually check out the creator directly, which is presumably the entire point of posting it in the first place... to build a following. Sharing it and spreading it to others is fine, but EGF is not a mirror host.

I'll update the list again tomorrow, and including a section specifically for Tumblr archives so this comic and the Erma one have a cozy place to exist.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:12 am

Polandball comic:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:08 am

I've had it waffling around in my signature for some time, but hey, now a thread to pop it into.

I'm talking about Homestuck, the current ongoing series at MS Paint Adventures. It's about a thirteen-year-old boy, his three friends, and a video game they wind up playing. Oh, and playing it starts Armageddon... and that's just when it begins getting complicated. Really. Complicated.

For a more simplistic, fairly shorter, but still complex affectionate parodies of adventure games, there's the previous (and complete) adventure, Problem Sleuth, about three film noir detectives and their (mis)adventures in escaping their shared office building complex.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:08 am

I started reading some of Homestuck years back, but hearing it got complex was a turn off. Maybe someday I'll give it a go.

Anyway, these are good. I stumbled across them by chance 1 night, too.

http://www.tapastic.com/series/Undying-Happiness Sweet and crazy with a plot.

http://www.tapastic.com/series/Regular Heck If I Know: Crazy humor, makes me think of Simpsons humor than say, Family Guy. Looks like 1 is NSFW but I'm assuming it's still funny (didn't read that 1 yet).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”