Halo 5

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Halo 5

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:09 am

So... anyone else following Hunt the truth?

TBH, I honestly thought they were re-writing the Chief's history, or at least ret-conning it, until he mentions the death certificate. At that point I realized "ah, they're just having him, some random civilian, figure out what players knew since forever ago".

The "reveals" in fact have just end up being known segments of John-117's past thus far, but I hope they'll get to revealing something not covered at some point. In the meantime, I admit how they portrayed the reveal in this latest episode is pretty... visceral.

Oh, and the reveal that Halo 2's cover was a lie(!), propaganda for the folks back home, is something I found downright hilarious. BP

SPOILER: Show
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:38 am

I am but haven't listened to the newest one yet.

I think ONI's goal with this was to trick the public even more into believing that John is a hero, then secretly send in Locke to find him and kill/capture him. But now our reporter is finding out the truth (haha get it) and might soon realize that ONI is lying to him. Particularly Sullivan who the Cheif also saved in Foward Unto Dawn.

Halo 5 in General. We are going to start in a much diffrent place then we left off. If you read summaries on the comics or books, quite a few things have changed since Halo 4. So much that I am actually scared that they are doing too much off-screen and then expect people that just want to play the game to go and read their comics and books. A practice that did not turn out well for the 2nd Prototype game.

I have more to say about 5, but I would be going into previous mention changes and I don't want to spoiler someone that doesn't know about them.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:53 am

Well, as someone who owns every game in the series (except that arcade one with Palmer), I'm still following it even after the disasters that were Reach and 4, and the numerous retcons which I furiously hated. I don't really care much about the series overall, but I can't seem to ignore anything new they release, including Hunt the Truth. Its been okay so far, but the reactions from that girl John knew as a child when the reporter told her who he is now was very cheesy. Not a natural reaction at all.
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:27 am

My rule of thumb is to disregard everything released post Reach, especially the godawful comics and books.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Honestly, never heard this before. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:53 am

View Original PostxPearse wrote:Well, as someone who owns every game in the series (except that arcade one with Palmer), I'm still following it even after the disasters that were Reach and 4,

What was wrong with Reach?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Re: Honestly, never heard this before. B/

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:31 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:What was wrong with Reach?

If we're talking about the game, they retconned The Fall of Reach pretty badly. The entire fall took a span of a few weeks and the game shortened it to a few days at most. My gripe is mostly with 343 handling the lore as Halo 4's story was a pestering pile of dogshit in their attempt to completely make Halo their own thing as opposed to what made Halo popular all the way back in 2001. Everything lore wise that comes out now is like a generic badly written Sci-Fi novel.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:01 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:If we're talking about the game, they retconned The Fall of Reach pretty badly. The entire fall took a span of a few weeks and the game shortened it to a few days at most. My gripe is mostly with 343 handling the lore as Halo 4's story was a pestering pile of dogshit in their attempt to completely make Halo their own thing as opposed to what made Halo popular all the way back in 2001. Everything lore wise that comes out now is like a generic badly written Sci-Fi novel.

Yeah, retcons. I really hate them. I'd make a Gears of War joke if I could. Anyway, about Reach, the game doesn't actually go over the course of a few days, since there are time skips in between missions and the like but the game itself fails to tell you so. A major flaw. That, and I hate the redesigns of most guns and costumes for both sides. They look really shitty in comparison to previous games. Especially the Rob Liefield Elites, which is the current cannon and that pisses me off. Also, hairless brutes? Just stupid.

Anyway, speaking about the Halo lore. I detest what 343 did to the series with the whole "prehistoric human space empire" and all that jive. They just made that shit up and acted like we should accept it. I mean, there wasn't even anything hinting at such a thing in the original three games or even the expanded media at the time.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:43 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote: Everything lore wise that comes out now is like a generic badly written Sci-Fi novel.

I've never read any of the fluff, besides maybe one or two points I picked up in a wiki article somewhere. So judging the story just as it was depicted in the games...

First though, and as I alluded to in the "playing" thread, I've only played through and completed most of Halo in the past month. I played it out of order (due to the person I played co-op with wanting to), starting with ODST. Then I played 4, Reach, Halo CE and 2. Currently, I've made it up to the point in 3 where the Flood ship shows up.

My estimation of the story so far (and maybe 3 will change my mind, but I hear it's the most confusing) is that's it's kitsch. Not great, not bad, just... what it is.

TBH, I guess I was disappointed in the story overall, probably because I watched Halo: Chronicles long before this current playthrough, with a few of the stories there-in setting the bar higher than the story in the game consistently reached.

There are aspects I appreciated though:

The theming and naming conventions that struck me when I played the Halo CE trial 10 years ago are still there, still giving it its own unique identity. I was intrigued by Flood as an enemy, sort of a zombie outbreak but with an insectoid-like twist, and seeing things in the first game fall apart into a four-way fight is certainly something I didn't see coming.

I liked how Halo 2 built upon what Halo: CE left, organically creating the character of the Arbiter out of it, and retconning the "no other survivor" nonsense from the end (c'mon, there were dozens of other Longswords launched from the Autumn, why would the Chief be the only one left?)

The struggle between the Arbiter and the Brutes being one of animosity, but not simply hate.

The audiolog story in ODST. It's quirky, and a little short in hindsight, but the kind of busy work I didn't mind doing.

What I didn't like:

The naming of the game chapters got a little too tongue-in-cheek, to the point where it seemed to break the 4th wall. It took me out of the story when I wanted to be sucked in.

Captain Keyes serving pretty much no point in the story. He gets captured, you rescue him, he gets captured again, you find him absorbed by the Flood and take his neural implants that end up being useless thanks to crazed glowing ball. He died a pointless death. The parting in Halo: Reach is itself soured by that fact.

Foehammer dying in a rather mean-spirited fashion. That just seemed unnecessary, along with, again, the nonsense that no one but the Chief survived.

Humanity planetside seeming to have progressed only about 20-30 years ahead from where we are today, hardly 400.

The writers having the piece of mind to note the Chief is not a Marine and have them jokingly refer to him as a "Swabbie", but NOT enough to know you shouldn't call Sgt. Anderson, or any other NCO "sir". They never fix this error as far as I can tell, in 3 and 4 they were still making this mistake.

Miranda Keyes turning out to be Catherine Halsey's Daughter. Just... why?

The Didect's introduction. It made me think he had appeared before. While I haven't finished 3, I'm pretty certain now that he hasn't.

The final fight with the Didect (anti-climatic to say the least... but then again, he was just a one-off villain.)

Not being able to play Spartan Ops offline. What. The F***.

What I'm looking forward to: Giving the Chief an actual character arc.

Yeah, throughout this entire tale, he's been pretty flat. I finally get why Yahtzee likened him to a stick. I thought the Chief was a practitioner of laconic wit, but some of the more awkwardly worded exchanges in Halo: CE have since convinced me otherwise.

This isn't to say that there aren't risks involved in doing this, and the heavy post-series Chirico vibe I'm getting from the Chief are making me anxious. But, given the stuff they're doing with "Hunt the Truth" and all, I'm still interested to see just where they'll take it.

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ispellnogood » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:37 pm

Anyway, speaking about the Halo lore. I detest what 343 did to the series with the whole "prehistoric human space empire" and all that jive. They just made that shit up and acted like we should accept it. I mean, there wasn't even anything hinting at such a thing in the original three games or even the expanded media at the time.

Absolutely. The designs of the game were good, but that stupid "Ancient advanced humans" was a game breaker for me. I'm not too familiar with Halo lore, but the origianl 3 games gave me the hint that humans were connected to the forerunners. That humans are some differently evoled line of forerunners created by the librarian to reclaim the galaxy after the rings are used to get rid of the flood. That actually would of made the didact's dislike of humanity more interesting, and it would of made the librarian seem less like an absurd betrayer of her own species.

That stupid human space empire thing also undermines the importance and threat of the flood, which was the reason the rings were created in the first place.

I liked reach, but I consider that game to be the starting point to what's alienating me from Halo. The starting point of the unstoppable, badass Spartan thing.

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:20 pm

Before the retcon, it was something like humanity having partial Forerunner DNA since some stayed on Earth and mingled in with cavemen, hence the "reclaimer", and not Chief being a clone of the Didact or whatever shit.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:43 pm

So, blew through the campaign last night in about 5 and half hours (on normal) and had a lot of fun with it. Can't talk about spoilers yet for obvious reasons, but. Can't wait to hear the rest of your guy's thoughts.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:59 am

In regards to the villain for the campaign...I don't know if I like it.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:05 pm

View Original PostKaminoyouni wrote:So, blew through the campaign last night in about 5 and half hours (on normal) and had a lot of fun with it. Can't talk about spoilers yet for obvious reasons, but. Can't wait to hear the rest of your guy's thoughts.

I'll probably never play it, personally speaking the only thing related to Halo I'm looking forward to is Halo Online, and that's if it gets a Western release, they're using Russians as guinea pigs in its closed beta.

Between the godawful shitty comics,godawful writers, and godawful artists, 343 is doing its utmost to make the franchise toxic.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:28 am

I think I'm on mission five or six, and I don't know if I like this game or not. The campaign is actually pretty fun, even though the combat has weird shifts from mind-numbingly easy to controller-smashing hard. Like, it doesn't maintain a very good tempo, all you know is you're running around and stuff is happening. If you point somewhere and shoot, eventually things will die and you can move on to the next area. There have been a lot of neat things done with vehicles, I guess the only problem I have with that is the very limited time you have to use them whenever they're available.

The plot is... eh? Halo 5 completely relies on you to be the biggest Halo fan ever and will have expected you to consume every little bit of extra lore before throwing you into the middle of a conflict you won't understand unless you've read the comic books and novels.

Now for the part that really gets my goat:
Master Chief's girlfriend whispers in his ear, so he goes AWOL to find her. Oh, and you know how she died and stuff and it was a meaningful, impactful death for our green protag? Just kidding! She's alive! Fuck character development, I have to save my A.I. girlfriend from things - again!

There are things I like. Mostly things I don't like. Will probably have a better idea once I finish campaign.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:30 pm

^
Yeah, the weird thing about the plot of the game is that it veers away from the supposed Central conflict between Locke and the Chief to insert a miraculously-revived Cortana as the bad guy. It's a twist nobody saw coming, but only because it spits in the face of narrative consistency by brushing the events of the previous game and all the supplemental rambling over the Janus Key and whatnot in order to bring back Cortana for no real reason. Instead of delving into the Chief and lLocke's complicated backgrounds and goals as implied in 'Hunt the Truth', now it's the old cliche of 'they're both good and that other guy is the bad guy'. Cortana doesn't even seem to have developed anything from the experience other than a god complex and the ability to render clothes textures.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:46 am

What do ya'll think of multiplayer?
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:05 am

I want more Warzone. It's awesome.

Multiplayer in general doesn't seem as daunting as it has in other halo games, and is actually quite fun for once.

The campaign. It's clear that Halo 5 is part 1 of 2.

Also considering how diffrent everything is from what we where lead to believe from the numerous trailers, I really want 343 to release like concepts of what Halo 5 was planned out to be. For example there is no deactivated Cortana chip, no hooded chief, and the game wasn't as dark as originally intended(because as before this game came out it was said it would be the darkest Halo game).

I'm glad they brought back the Arbiter, and glad Blue Team finally makes their first appearance in a game.

Overall it's pretty good. Even if I may not agree with some of the campaign choices made. Also, considering we are waiting on forge, this game could get really boring really quickly. Hope it doesn't.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:00 am

Tonight, I discovered I spent $60 on a multiplayer-only game, since there might as well not be a campaign in Halo 5.

Out of the 15 missions, each of them will last you anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes, save for the very last two levels, which clock in at a whopping 30 minutes.

For about 6 hours worth of gameplay, me and my brother were forced to sit through the mind-numbing writing of Brian Reed, where every contrived plot point you can imagine is brought to bear, the characters and plot move at a jarring lightspeed, and pretty much everything is explained away with "Forerunner space magic".

My brother summed it up nicely when we were watching the credits roll by: "I can't believe it took this many people to make a bad game."

Although bravo to the folks that had a hand in the multiplayer. It's fantastic and loads of fun to play over and over again, something Halo 4 lacked. The campaign on the other hand, for me at least, holds zero replay value.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”