Asuka in EoTV

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Asuka in EoTV

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:16 pm

Shinji: Yet, don't you hate me?
Asuka: You idiot! It's you that's always trying to think so.

Asuka says she doesn't hate Shinji, so why did she just call him an idiot? The "it's just how she talks to him" thing doesn't work here, because they're still in Instrumentality. The barriers that impede communication are supposed to be gone.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:30 pm

Just because somebody calls someone an "idiot" or "dummy" doesn't mean that they're saying it with malice.

In this context, Asuka is calling him an "idiot" because she's calling him out on his "self-defeating" habits where he automatically assumes the worst when it comes to people's opinion of him, which isn't the case.

It's like somebody calling me a dummy when I've done something obvious and stupid, like steal the last slice of pizza from the fridge without asking. It's not malicious in anyway. Just calling me out.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Asuka in EoTV

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:42 pm

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:Shinji: Yet, don't you hate me?
Asuka: You idiot! It's you that's always trying to think so.

Asuka says she doesn't hate Shinji, so why did she just call him an idiot? The "it's just how she talks to him" thing doesn't work here, because they're still in Instrumentality. The barriers that impede communication are supposed to be gone.

It's a term of endearment. That's basically it.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 pm

Apply the Princess Bride Theorem. As you wish.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:42 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Apply the Princess Bride Theorem. As you wish.

This makes me happy. If I sleep with it, it shall keep me warm at nights.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Asuka's mood depending, "baka" to me DID seem like a term of endearment at times. (It actually can be, instead of an insult, context-depending.)

What actually struck me more is both in EoTV and EoE Instrumentality, there's a few parts (can't remember when exactly) Asuka refers to Shinji as "anata"! Which is common to refer to people with (though wives also refers to their husbands as such), instead of her typical "anta" (pretty rude on her end to refer to people that way). I guess their minds/souls being merged made her chill out a little, though I think the EoE usage of "anata" was her "I'd rather die than do it with you!" line. :lol:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:36 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Asuka's mood depending, "baka" to me DID seem like a term of endearment at times. (It actually can be, instead of an insult, context-depending.)

Absolutely this. It makes the most sense, considering she definitely likes him as a person to the very least. It just seems like her way of keeping her distance while also expressing affection. She also calls him "Stupid Shinji" to Rei, so that would support this idea.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:42 pm

View Original PostUltrahuntr wrote:Absolutely this. It makes the most sense, considering she definitely likes him as a person to the very least. It just seems like her way of keeping her distance while also expressing affection. She also calls him "Stupid Shinji" to Rei, so that would support this idea.

I think the only time in the entire series that she addresses him as just "Shinji" and not "baka-Shinji" or "Third" is when she proposes that they kiss. Very telling.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:10 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I think the only time in the entire series that she addresses him as just "Shinji" and not "baka-Shinji" or "Third" is when she proposes that they kiss. Very telling.

Aside from maybe when they first met, yeah. Very telling indeed. ;)

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:27 pm

For a tsundere, this is pretty standard behaviour.
"Even just the sight of you gets on my nerves!" - Asuka Langley Soryu
"Because I'm just like you?" - Shinji Ikari

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”