SPOILERS! How is Asuka in 3.0?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
zeldapsychology
Embryo

SPOILERS! How is Asuka in 3.0?

•      
  •      

Postby zeldapsychology » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:12 pm

The U.S. doesn't have it on Blu Ray yet (Have it ordered though) but am disappointed my favorite character Asuka in 2.0 isn't more psychologically damaged. From a wiki I read something about Shinji having a mental breakdown but am curious how does Asuka develop in 3.0? From my understanding she doesn't have a breakdown or anything deep with her character outside of an eye patch. Her emotional trauma was amazingly in-depth to me in the original and the End of Evangelion movie sad to see that lost in 3.0

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:34 am

It's not really Asuka, it not really any of the NGE cast, this is Rebuild, everything is new, fresh, and original.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:49 am

The 6m38s introductory section to Q seems to have been scrubbed from YouTube, but that was pretty much all Shikinami all the time, being the no nonsense lead pilot that Sohryu always wanted to be.

It seems that in the Rebuilds, that all the focus is on Shinji, and the rest of the cast is just sketched in enough to provide the environment for him to move in.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:52 am

I would say that NTE focuses not only on Shinji, but also on Misato and his relationship with her. (Q being the obvious exception for reasons.)

zeldapsychology
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zeldapsychology » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:37 am

Bummer thought there was something I was missing from the wiki. I'm starting to agree it's more about Shinji which is ashame. IMO Ritsuko was too developed the mom computer brain thing and killing Rei thing I was hoping the rebuild would touch upon the other characters more such as Asuka and Shinji with his history and Yui but I wanted growth among EVERYONE not just Shinji. Mosito too. (spelling sorry). This can be more than Shinji's story. The original touched upon each character nearly to a great trade off among each but was wanting more in-depth on Asuka. Oh well I'll always have the original. With a Japan release in August on blu ray and DVD here's to a U.S. one in the next couple of years. :-)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:58 am

Eh, thats just something that will happen when the medium is a movie rather than 26 episodes. Gotta pick what to focus on a bit more.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:11 am

Largely irrelevant.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:25 pm

There are some users in this forum who say that the angel did have an effect on her, though in ways you probably can't relate to yet, because you haven't seen Q. She does display some extraordinary feats in Q though, perhaps to inhumanly extents.

Also, many people have analyzed a particular Asuka scene back in the previous movies, where she's lying in bed with her doll. If these are strong reads of Rebuild Asuka, iirc, she's a much more stable person.

I personally subscribe to the idea that the contact she made with the angel in Q took away a piece of her humanity. That piece had something to do with her happiness. We don't know what went on in the entry plug because wen weren't shown. But remember, she was stuck in there for a long time, plus the entirety of the fight with Shinji. The storyboards, left out of the show, gave us an indication of what might have occurred. If Pavlov were to chime in, he'd agree with me too: moments before the angel struck Asuka, she was feeling the warmth of happiness. We don't see a happy Asuka very much, and a scary event following a private intimate realization is bound to have lasting effects on a psychological level.

In any event, other users are correct in saying she got the short end of the stick, character-wise.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:46 am

View Original PostunitM wrote:There are some users in this forum who say that the angel did have an effect on her, though in ways you probably can't relate to yet, because you haven't seen Q. She does display some extraordinary feats in Q though, perhaps to inhumanly extents.

This is pretty much given, i don't think there is anyone denying that anymore.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:48 am

It is heavily implied during Asuka's reunion with Shinji in 3.0 that she has suffered incredibly. It's not fifteen whole minutes of Asuka writhing and screaming while an Angel psycho-probes her, but the scene is very effective for the purposes of the film.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:55 am

^ OP said she hasn't watched Q yet though, so she probably hasn't seen the new Asuka after the angel contamination.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”