Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Cool. I said that almost a month ago in this forum. Nice to see it's actually official.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:41 pm

Google Translate:

Main knitting
119 minutes / 2-layer 66G / CinemaScope size
voice
(1)日本語3.1ch dts-HD Master Audio
(2)日本語2.0ch dts-HD Master Audio
subtitle
(1) Japanese subtitles
Special Edition 3 Disc + 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray1 bundled specification with sheets outside

Does that mean that the 4K release is the same as the regular 3-Disc Blu-ray release, but with the added 4K disc? AKA, regular Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray in the same boxset? I kinda wanna start building my 4K collection for the inevitable switch over to the technology, but it's a pain to have to buy two different boxsets of the same movie in order to still play movies on my current BD setup.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:28 am

When will CDJapan update their site to let me preorder? I really don't want to jump through hoops with Amazon JP....
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:00 pm

Finally, I'll get it in 90 days then. -_-
Last edited by KRandMJ on Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:03 pm

Someone make a countdown clock.

Boethiah
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Boethiah » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:49 am

So here's my review of the movie:

Holy shit this movie has Anno written all over it. There are his signature freeze-frame shots, military hardware salivating and really cool sci-fi monster concepts. Anno takes Godzilla developing new powers to its limit and integrates elements from his own work into something that's new and still retains the overall tone of Godzilla movies; Godzilla is basically an Angel without an AT field. Plus his contempt for inept bureaucracy and general interest in humanity's limits mesh well with the Godzilla franchise thematically, anyway.

As someone who's loved Godzilla since he was a kid, I recommend this movie. If you liked the weird world-building of Gunbuster and NGE like I did, you'd love this movie.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:08 pm

It's worth reiterating that the bureaucracy in this movie was very much not inept. In fact, it was shown to be more competent and effective than it is in the vast majority of films dealing with the topic in either Japan or the U.S. The fact it was shown to be redundant and silly at points does not mean it didn't get the job done (and it did; the team the government founded to stop Godzilla did, indeed, stop Godzilla, and it did so with the full support of the Japanese government). It did exactly what bureaucracy is supposed to do, and it did it very well. Anno just poked fun at it because, regardless of that, it's still a bloated mess, and it deserves a bit of mockery as a result.

Edit: someone pointed out that I hadn't actually given my thoughts on the movie due to, ah, circumstances. So let's remedy that:

Overall, as many have said, it's a very Anno movie. He's saying a lot about Japanese culture and how it works, about its relationship with other countries (particularly the U.S.), and about its government, and to me it all comes across as refreshingly positive. Yes, Japan's bureaucracy is laughable at times, but it gets the job done. Yes, the U.S. is waiting in the wings with a very big stick, but it works with Japan when the latter presents an idea it things will work (like the U.S. is an overbearing parent, but one who means well and wants the best for its child (which is not how things often work out either in the metaphor or in reality, but that's a separate isue). What we're seeing there is a nuanced take on matters, one the reflects a full appreciation for a complex world and its inhabitants, and that's damn rare in movies these days. So, kudos to Anno for that!

As to particulars: I thought Godzilla's earlier forms were somewhat disappointing. They were just obviously rubber suits tearing up real estate, and while I get the appeal (this is a Godzilla movie, after all) they didn't seem to be operating on the same level as the final form. The human element was getting a solid treatment at this point in the movie, so why not Godzilla's early forms as well? I don't know what I expected here, actually, just that what we got isn't it.

I absolutely loved the military sequences. They just kept trying different things, but there was a sense of logic to all of it. And, most importantly, they acted like actual military, rather than just guys wearing the outfits. I also like the fact that the best they had to offer (the bunker busters) actually hurt Godzilla! This was very important, since it told us the U.S.'s plan to use a nuke wasn't some desperate strategy that would sacrifice Japanese lives in a game of roulette -- if the bunker busters hurt Godzilla, a nuke would very likely destroy him. The U.S. plan was sane, and that meant the Japanese had to come up with an alternative that would also likely work before Godzilla broke containment and started wrecking the world. Back to that nuance again!

As to Godzilla himself: when I initially saw him I hated the design. And, to be honest, I still do. I don't like a single thing about it. But, perhaps that was the idea -- this Godzilla was not supposed to be likable. It wasn't something you're supposed to cheer for as he stomped around and destroyed Tokyo. Instead, it was supposed to be an overwhelming, hideous monstrosity, and it managed to tick all those boxes just fine. Angel, God Warrior, Kaiju, take your pick, but this Godzilla was not some overgrown animal just chewing scenery -- it was a force of nature forcing Japan and the U.S. to come to a reckoning with their shared past, and in that capacity he succeeded.

Lastly, the cast: I think this film had some of the best performances I've ever seen in a kaiju movie. In most, even those that come highly recommended, the performances are over the top, but I didn't get a sense of that here at all. Instead what we got is what I would expect from a Hollywood A-list movie, and that gave it an air of credibility that really helped sell its central themes. The one exception here was the American, who was just . . . off. It was weird to me that the U.S. was being played as the overbearing parent (which is totally legit) but the U.S. representative was played as a cowgirl. I guess from a Japanese perspective there might be no contradiction there (shades of Anno's take on Star Trek), but to me it just seemed like a bad fit. Also, her Engrish was awful. I know there are lots of Japanese who speak perfectly good English, or even -- gasp! -- Americans who speak Japanese, so why not hire one of them?

So anyway, those are my thoughts. Really liked it overall, both as a Kaiju movie and as a social and political statement, and I'm very glad I saw it. And now I'm somewhat dreading what Toho will do as a follow-up (because it won't be as nuanced or as good, and that will suck) and looking forward to whatever Anno does next (whether it be Final or something else).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:11 pm

Did any of you buy The Art of Shin Godzilla? Is it really as sexy as the Eva CRCs or has the internet misled me?
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:28 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Did any of you buy The Art of Shin Godzilla? Is it really as sexy as the Eva CRCs or has the internet misled me?

I am supposedly getting it next week, but I bought it via moon runes so I can't be sure.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:26 am

Close up shots of the tail humanoids & concept art...
https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/20531 ... noid-army/

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:13 am

Does anyone know if the 3D Blur-ray/4k editions also come with the standard Blu-ray disc as well? I want to preorder but I don't want the generic Blu-ray disc holder.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:45 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Close up shots of the tail humanoids & concept art...
https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/20531 ... noid-army/

Took me a while to figure out why the cyclops looks so familiar. They look like the homunculus dummies from the end of Fullmetal Alchemist
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:29 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Did any of you buy The Art of Shin Godzilla? Is it really as sexy as the Eva CRCs or has the internet misled me?

Amazon.jp tells me it's shipped. I'll believe it once I have it in my hot little hands, but fwiw . . .

Edit: got it today. This book is absolutely gorgeous, and yes, it's every bit as sexy as the CRCs. It includes what I assume is a script as a separate book, as well as two double-sided posters and a meaty hardback with tons of interviews, stills from the movie, concept art, storyboards, and behind-the-scenes photos. The two books are bound in a rich black slipcase cover that makes me want to hug it tight and squee with glee. It's well worth the asking price, IMO.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:22 pm

My mom's boyfriend is a filmmaker, and he knows a guy who got him a screener of Shin Godzilla. So now I can watch it at home anytime. :leekspin:

Of course, I'll gladly buy a copy once it reaches the states.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Cosmo11
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cosmo11 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:27 pm

Shin Godzilla has been nominated for several awards for the Japanese Academy awards

http://screenrant.com/shin-godzilla-japanese-academy-awards/

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:25 pm

#AniGodzilla split to Godzilla and Kaiju general thread. post/854841/Godzilla-and-Kaiju-General/#854841
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:16 am

BD contents announced:

http://www.khara.co.jp/2017/03/02/%EF%B ... %E5%85%B8/

Extras include 50min of previs stuff, 18min long VFX breakdown and 30min long making-of

Stuffed to the brim it seems

Pics of the packaging and some screenshots: http://hobby.dengeki.com/news/349431/
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:16 pm

332 minutes of special features! (If my computer translated it correctly).

I already have my copy pre-ordered but when the film hits US shelves on disc I hope the extras come with it!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:35 pm

332 minutes of special features

Not even Peter Jackson puts that much extra content into the Blu-Ray release of his movie. Holy crap.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”