Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

A forum for discussion of other Gainax works, people belonging or related to Gainax and the non-Eva projects they've worked on, media that reference or have distinct parallels to Eva, etc.

Moderator: Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:32 pm

SPOILER: Show

Hello new nightmares.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:49 pm

So, the one special feature on Funi's disc is kinda incompetent in a few ways. They start talking about Sagisu's score in Shin Godzilla, specifically in how it relates to Evangelion's score, and the video cuts to the music written by Akira Ifukube sampled from the intro for Mothra vs Godzilla and reused in the scene in Shin Godzilla when Godzilla reemerges in Japan. The fans know what they're talking about, at least, though I still would have preferred more industry Godzilla workers or scholars beyond whoever at Funi wanted to give up a weekend for a video shoot.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:17 pm

I saw examples of the text removals/replacements on Twitter, and it bothers me enough (Bothers me with the Rebuilds, too!) that I'm hesitant to buy a copy. I just strongly believe the Japanese text gives a certain atmosphere to the film, bits of humor aside.

(Honestly, things like this make me very wary of a potential Funimation-released NGE Bluray Box. End of TV and EoE, for example, would "look" forever ruined, IMO.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:45 am

It's a disappointment to be sure. The loss of the lovely in-your-face writing dampens the strong visual stamp of the film quite a bit.
At the very least having the on-screen text should have been an option.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:51 am

I think Toho was stuck between a rock and a hard place, as far as titles go. (I'm gonna also blame Toho for the time being. Inasmuch as Funi loves its Japanese title replacements, the only way for them to get a copy of that movie sans kanji were if Toho provided it.)

I mean, take a look at Ep 6 of NGE. ADV stacks those subtitles up to the point where half the screen is covered in post-finalized text that was never once approved by the director. It blocks important information on the screen. Shin Godzilla would have been one of the few times where I would have preferred Funi to replace the on-screen kanji with a video rendering of hard-sub English text in the same size and style of the Japanese kanji, with the soft subs translating the dialogue neatly tucked underneath the 2.35:1 frame. (Maybe I'll spend an afternoon with Final Cut Pro and do that, just for the heck of it. Might be worth it.)

Also, what's with the 3.1 sound mix? Why is that even a thing? I'd rather down-mix 5.1 to stereo than have this middle-of-the-road response to mixing.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:53 am

Do BDs have alternate angles like DVDs do? If so, there was a ready-made solution for this that would have pleased everybody.

The title issue bothers me and, like SSD, I'm not sure if I want to buy the Funimation version. I do like the idea of having the clean picture AS AN OPTION, but I also want to be able to see the film the way it was made. Forced to choose between the two, I'd rather import.
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Rei IV
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:26 am

Go for it. Japanese Blu rays/DVDs are pricey but sometimes they're totally worth it. I have Funi's Blu rays of the Evangelion movies AND the original JPN versions precisely because of what Sailor Star Dust talked about. Still, I'll most likely get Funi's version of Shin Godzilla just because it's English subtitled.
"The Miss Rei Ayanami stares into your soul"

zlink64
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:06 pm

"Also, what's with the 3.1 sound mix? Why is that even a thing? I'd rather down-mix 5.1 to stereo than have this middle-of-the-road response to mixing"

yeah thats a good question. I assumed it was cheaper.
hmmm

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 am

Don't know if anyone has commented on this yet but very curious:

Shinji Higuchi: “A lot of people have questions. ‘When is the next Japanese Godzilla movie coming out?’ They cannot make it until after 2020.”

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/241407/shin-godzilla-sequel-not-coming-soon/

I'm guessing somewhere in the contract Toho did with Legendary/Warner Brothers there are stipulations on what Toho can do. One reboot is okay but a full on live-action Godzilla franchise needs to wait until after Godzilla Vs. Kong has been released to theaters. I'm guessing this is why Toho is putting out a trilogy of animated Godzilla movies. It doesn't step on the live action films territory and can act as a placeholder until they can get to another live action Godzilla in a few years time.

Return to “Related Works & People”