Watson Personality Insights Demonstration

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Watson Personality Insights Demonstration

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:29 am

Ever do a personality test just for the fun of seeing the results' ratio of "on point" to "hilariously wrong"? There is a pretty easy one over here, courtesy of IBM's "Watson", which attempts to break down your personality based on nothing more than your writing. As an egocentric individual who writes a lot, I naturally had to give this thing a shot. Anyone else game?

You'll probably want to put in an assortment of writings (representing both different styles and different moods), since certain aspects of the results can vary drastically depending on the sample analyzed, then take the median value. This page tells you what the results mean.

Now for mine! This was done quite sloppily (the "median" thing only occurred to me toward the end) and I may redo it eventually, but for now it suffices.

SPOILER: Show
**Big 5** Describes how person engages with the world.
Five primary dimensions.

*Openness* Very high: very open to experiencing a variety of activities. [Very high? Seriously??]
Adventurousness Middling: I both enjoy my routine and am eager to experience new things.
Artistic interests Very low: less concerned with artistic or creative activities than most people. [Until my jaded adult years, I was quite artistic, so this result is puzzling.]
Emotionality Mid-low: Don't frequently think about or openly express your emotions. [As opposed to "emotionally aware". This one seems a bit off. My emotions are somewhat stunted by my meds, which might be having an effect.]
Imagination Very High: I have a wild imagination. [Versus "You prefer facts over fantasy." The fuck?]
Intellect Very High: Open to and intrigued by new ideas and love to explore them.
Authority-challenging Very high: Prefer to challenge authority & traditional values to help bring about change. [Sounds about right.]

*Conscientiousness* Tendency to act in organized or spontaneous way. Low score.
Achievement striving Low score: content with level of achievement and don't feel need to set ambitious goals. ["Content" isn't how I'd put it...]
Cautiousness Mid-high: Think somewhat carefully through decisions before making them.
Dutifulness Low: "You do what you want, disregarding rules and obligations." [That description doesn't hit home, exactly.]
Orderliness Low: Don't make time for organization in daily life.
Self-discipline Very low: have hard time sticking with difficult tasks for long period of time.
Self-efficacy Middling: Don't have a consistent feeling about my ability to succeed in tasks.

*Extraversion* Tendency to seek stimulation in company of others. Low.
Activity level Low: Appreciate a relaxed pace in life.
Assertiveness Low: Prefer to listen than talk, especially in group settings. [In group settings, this is definitely true.]
Cheerfulness Low: Generally serious and don't joke much. [I suppose there is a certain earnestness even to my jokes, so I won't argue with this.]
Excitement-seeking Mid-Low: Prefer activities that are quiet, calm, and safe.
Outgoing Low: Private person who doesn't let many in.
Gregariousness Low: Strong desire to have time to myself.

*Agreeableness* Tendency to be compassionate and cooperative toward others.
Altruism Low score: More concerned with taking care of self than taking time for others.
Cooperation Middling score: I generally veer on the side of avoiding confrontation, but sometimes contradict others.
Modesty Low score: I hold myself in high regard and am satisfied with who I am. [This one is utterly baffling.]
Uncompromising Low score. [Not sure what my low score here means, when consulting with the documentation... Low on "uncompromising" itself should mean I think it's wrong to take advantage of others. Which I do.]
Sympathy Very high score - empathetic. I feel what others feel and am compassionate toward them. [Seems a bit optimistic...]
Trust Low: Wary of other people's intentions and don't trust easily.

*Emotional range* Mid/upper-high: extent to which emotions are environment-sensitive.
Fiery Mid-high: Fiery temper, especially when things don't go my way.
Prone to worry Mid-low: Tend to feel calm and self-assured. [Now that's just bullshit.]
Melancholy High: I frequently think about what I'm unhappy about.
Immoderation Middling: Sometimes self-controlled, sometimes hedonistic.
Self-consciousness High: Sensitive about what others think of me.
Susceptible to stress Mid-low or mid-high: Can be calm under pressure or easily overwhelmed.

*Needs* Describes at a high level which aspects of a product are likely to resonate with author or text.
Challenge Middling: The urge to achieve, succeed, and take on challenges.
Closeness Mid-High: Enjoyment of being connected to family and setting up a home.
Curiosity Mid-Low: Desire to discover, find out, and grow. [I'd expect this to be higher.]
Excitement Mid-High: Want to get out there and live life, have upbeat emotions, and want to have fun. [Definitely too high...]
Harmony Mid-High: Appreciate other people, their viewpoints, and their feelings.
Ideal Ranges 37-82%: Desire perfection and sense of community.
Liberty Mostly high: Desire for fashion and new things, as well as need for escape. (The "escape" part fits.)
Love (Median: 27) Enjoy social contact, whether one-to-one or one-to-many.
Practicality Mid-high: Have a desire to get the job done, a desire for skill and efficiency, which can include physical expression and experience.
Self-expression (Med: 36.5) Enjoy discovering and asserting their own identities. [Seems a bit low.]
Stability (Med: 60.5) Seek equivalence in the physical world. They favor the sensible, the tried and tested.
Structure (Med: 57) Exhibit groundedness and a desire to hold things together. They need things to be well organized and under control.

*Values* Motivating factors that influence the author's decision-making.
Conservation M07: Emphasize self-restriction, order, and resistance to change.
Openness to change M76: Emphasize independent action, thought, and feeling, as well as a readiness for new experiences.
Hedonism Median 21: Seek pleasure and sensuous gratification for themselves.
Self-enhancement M62.5: Seek personal success for themselves.
Self-transcendence Mid-high: Show concern for the welfare and interests of others.

Given my inability to score high or low on certain categories regardless of what I fed Watson, I would say that the algorithm is measuring certain tangibles and shows definite promise. But in various aspects, it clearly has a way to go. I'm curious to see how it fares against some of you folks.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:47 am

I gave it two chapters (20-21) of my fanfic. I'll say no more than that the results were, to me, hilarious.

Summary:
You are unpretentious, sentimental and explosive.

You are unconcerned with art: you are less concerned with artistic or creative activities than most people who participated in our surveys. You are intermittent: you have a hard time sticking with difficult tasks for a long period of time. And you are laid-back: you appreciate a relaxed pace in life.

Your choices are driven by a desire for sophistication.

You consider helping others to guide a large part of what you do: you think it is important to take care of the people around you. You are relatively unconcerned with taking pleasure in life: you prefer activities with a purpose greater than just personal enjoyment.

That's just as ludicrous whether it's about me or about my Shinji.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:01 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I gave it two chapters (20-21) of my fanfic.

The one chapter of creative writing that I fed Watson seemed markedly less accurate than other writings. Perhaps try repeating the results with regular forum posts and PMs?

I should see what happens to mine if I input nothing but creative writing.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:17 am

This is nearly as much fun as the analysis that characterised /a/ as an unhappy 14 year old girl.

From my blog I got

Openness 100% (Under 10% on Artistic interests and Emotionality, over 90% on the rest)
Conscientiousness 69% (High Cautiousness and Self-efficacy)
Extraversion 4% (Activity level the only thing not in single figures)
Agreeableness 5% (yet Sympathy and cooperation at the 90+% level)
Emotional range 28% (Self-consciousness and fiery not in single figures)

You are inner-directed, skeptical and can be perceived as insensitive.

You are philosophical: you are open to and intrigued by new ideas and love to explore them. You are independent: you have a strong desire to have time to yourself. And you are calm-seeking: you prefer activities that are quiet, calm, and safe.

Your choices are driven by a desire for discovery.

You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done. You consider independence to guide a large part of what you do: you like to set your own goals to decide how to best achieve them.

Posting a chunk of my fiction came out slightly more extravert and agreeable and with less emotional range, and the overall summary was almost identical, too.

You are heartfelt, tranquil and skeptical.

You are imaginative: you have a wild imagination. You are philosophical: you are open to and intrigued by new ideas and love to explore them. And you are empathetic: you feel what others feel and are compassionate towards them.

Your choices are driven by a desire for self-expression.

You consider independence to guide a large part of what you do: you like to set your own goals to decide how to best achieve them. You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:05 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The one chapter of creative writing that I fed Watson seemed markedly less accurate than other writings. Perhaps try repeating the results with regular forum posts and PMs?

Equally ludicrous. My extraversion dropped from 87% to 6%. My artistic interest dropped from 6% to 0% in spite of there being a paragraph about the composer Bach. In both cases, my desires are driven by a need for sophistication.

I don't recognise myself. Perhaps I am truly monumentally not self-aware...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Or maybe this test is just inaccurate.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:42 pm

I've seen examples and demos of Watson in other contexts, and the results have been truly amazing. Maybe writing of any sort just isn't a good indicator of personality.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:42 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Or maybe this test is just inaccurate.

Of course it will be grossly more inaccurate if only a couple of samples are used. It's impossible to get a full sense for someone from a single moment, after all. The little blurb at the end of one analysis is less useful than taking a range of numbers and putting those against this information. I wish there was an easier way to have Watson process multiple writing samples than manually inputting digits from each result into Excel, but I'm not exactly the script-writing sort.

For the sake of curiosity, I plugged in a bunch of the stuff I wrote while hypomanic to see if any of the values came out significantly different. Sample size is 8 for "normal", 7 for "manic". Naturally pathetic for scientific purposes, but adequate for "just for funzies". Numerical values are medians.

*WENT UP*

Assertiveness: Normal 28, Manic 60 (!!). (From Demure to Assertive.)
Curiosity: Normal 42, Manic 83. (Nearly doubled "desire to discover, find out, and grow.")
Ideal: Normal 61, Manic 97. ("Desire perfection and a sense of community.")
Self-expression: Normal 47, Manic 87. ("Enjoy discovering and asserting their own identities.")

*WENT DOWN*

Cooperation: Normal 47.5, Manic 24. (Borderline Accomodating to Contrary.)
Modesty: Normal 8.5, Manic 1. (Doesn't look significant, but at least in Normal Mode my modesty wavers a bit, whereas when manic it's flat.)
Melancholy: Normal 83, Manic 60.
Immoderation: Normal 47.5, Manic 24. (Indicates a reduced sense of self-indulgence. Whatever you say, Watson!)
Self-consciousness: Normal 72.5, Manic 32 (!!). (Less sensitive about what others think.)
Susceptible to stress: Normal 72.5, Manic 21. (Heightened obliviousness goes hand-in-hand with previous value decrease.)
Practicality: Normal 72, Manic 28. (Decreased "desire to get the job done" & "desire for skill and efficiency, which can include physical expression and experience.")
Self-enhancement: Normal 62.5, Manic 36. (Tendency to "seek personal success for themselves.")

Since mania is a definitive shift in personality, far more pronounced than day-to-day ups and downs, I at least find it interesting that this shift is reflected in some of Watson's parameters. By the same token, I didn't become a COMPLETELY different person, so a fair number of the values stayed essentially (if not exactly) the same.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Testing some of my fiction from going on 40 years back showed a mutually consistent but different spread of traits -- lower Conscientiousness, higher Extraversion and Agreeableness (all in the 40-60% range), for example. So I really have become a grumpy old git!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Gave it a mix of fiction, academics and online arguments to arrive at this result. Seems fairly accurate..maybe 80%?

You are shrewd and skeptical.

You are imaginative: you have a wild imagination. You are philosophical: you are open to and intrigued by new ideas and love to explore them. And you are independent: you have a strong desire to have time to yourself.

Your choices are driven by a desire for well-being.

You are relatively unconcerned with both tradition and taking pleasure in life. You care more about making your own path than following what others have done. And you prefer activities with a purpose greater than just personal enjoyment.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:50 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Gave it a mix of fiction, academics and online arguments to arrive at this result.

Huh, didn't occur to me to just feed Watson mixed texts and see what happened. (My obsessive scientific side probably doth protest too much.) I'll have to play around and see if doing this produces results appreciably different from my more tedious methodology.

80% accuracy seems about the same as my experience, anyway.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:37 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I've seen examples and demos of Watson in other contexts, and the results have been truly amazing. Maybe writing of any sort just isn't a good indicator of personality.

I would suspect that it is more that Watson is trying to judge you by a single piece of writing.

You may have a more accurate representation of you personality if you took all the pieces of writing you have taken, received all the scores, and then averaged them out. But, even then, they may still not be indicative of your personality, provided that the standard deviation is too high.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:00 pm

I gave it about 3000 words, partly fiction, and then a selection of posts from forums on as many distinct subjects as I could find, and never just a single sentence.

But then, perhaps I am simply tricky to pin down. Certainly Google and Amazon get their predictions of what interests me hilariously wrong, based on what I've bought or where I've visited over the last fifteen years.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Did you do them all individually, or all together?

You may yield better results individually.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

JonnyNova
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JonnyNova » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:32 pm

I tried feeding it a few different excerpts from some fiction I am writing. This tool is terrible at giving accurate personality information of the writer just from a sample writing. With that said, it definitely hones down to the emotions that the piece is trying to express pretty darn well. Given that writing can definitely vary from a single author this tool is trying to over deliver by anazlying the author. It really should be claiming to analyze the intent of the writing instead.

First

The first sample is 679 words. It is an interaction between a character and his mother. They have a healthy relationship and are pretty open about most topics. This sample has them engaging in some light banter and teasing.
You are social and confident.

You are confident: you are hard to embarrass and are self-confident most of the time. You are outgoing: you make friends easily and feel comfortable around other people. And you are empathetic: you feel what others feel and are compassionate towards them.

Your choices are driven by a desire for revelry.

You are relatively unconcerned with achieving success: you make decisions with little regard for how they show off your talents. You consider helping others to guide a large part of what you do: you think it is important to take care of the people around you.

It picks up the intended "vibe" between the two characters right away.

Second

This sample is 283 words. It shows the thoughts and feelings of a soldier who working been hard to preserve his own life and the life of an unconscious squadmate against impossible odds come to terms with the fact he is going to fail.
You are shrewd, somewhat insensitive and rational.

You are imaginative: you have a wild imagination. You are philosophical: you are open to and intrigued by new ideas and love to explore them. And you are laid-back: you appreciate a relaxed pace in life.

Your choices are driven by a desire for sophistication.

You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done. You consider independence to guide a large part of what you do: you like to set your own goals to decide how to best achieve them.

Even without being feed the events of what led up to this scene it picks up the character quite well. He definitely has decided to set his own goals and is the one to push until they're achieved. Not a single bead of sweat will remain unperspired before fate gets to make its move.

Third

This sample is 168 words. It is the homecoming of a soldier who has been MIA for over two years. All of the immeadiate family members are present. It also represents the first time in much more than just two years the family members have accepted each other unconditionally.
You are social, confident and heartfelt.

You are empathetic: you feel what others feel and are compassionate towards them. You are outgoing: you make friends easily and feel comfortable around other people. And you are assertive: you tend to speak up and take charge of situations, and you are comfortable leading groups.

Your choices are driven by a desire for modernity.

You consider both tradition and helping others to guide a large part of what you do. You highly respect the groups you belong to and follow their guidance. And you think it is important to take care of the people around you.

The personality insights tool picked it up perfectly even with the same sample size.

Fourth

This sample is 179 words. It is a dream that a soldier has in which his father unexpectedly questions him about if he truly desires to be an instrument of death and destruction.
You are heartfelt and shrewd.

You are calm under pressure: you handle unexpected events calmly and effectively. You are self-assured: you tend to feel calm and self-assured. And you are unconcerned with art: you are less concerned with artistic or creative activities than most people who participated in our surveys.

Your choices are driven by a desire for modernity.

You are relatively unconcerned with taking pleasure in life: you prefer activities with a purpose greater than just personal enjoyment. You value achieving success a bit more: you seek out opportunities to improve yourself and demonstrate that you are a capable person.

Right on the money again even with the small sample size.
Last edited by JonnyNova on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:33 pm

Started out by giving it a 1500 word essay I wrote on The Great Gatsby. Here are the results.

...and here's the results of giving it the Shinji/Ibuki [s]lemon[/s] porno-fic that Squiggs and I are writing, which clocks in at a little over 9000 words.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:55 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I gave it about 3000 words, partly fiction, and then a selection of posts from forums on as many distinct subjects as I could find, and never just a single sentence.

3000 words doesn't seem like a whole lot to me. For my own purposes, I wasn't happy giving Watson anything less than eight pieces, each at least 1000 words. At least with a bigger sample, you can see where Watson's values for you fluctuate wildly and where they stay approximately the same. Mayhaps I'll pull some stuff of yours off the forum and see if I get results that are any more accurate. :devil:

JohnnyNova: The "personality assessment" part will definitely be more accurate if you feed it stuff you've written "as yourself", like forum posts. I do want to do a test of my creative writing alone, though, to see if it any of the parameters stay the same.

JonnyNova
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JonnyNova » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:04 am

My samples were all written in a fairly consistent style in the third person, are part of the same work, and use a consistent style on things such as grammatical construction, word choice, sentence and paragraph length, etc. I'm pretty impressed it picks up what it does given the small sample sizes. The product works. However, they're vastly overselling what it is capable of. It is likely just bait to get developers into their Bluemix system. They've got a fairly rich API as well as open source example projects of it being used, however, it is all tucked away behind a Bluemix account paywall.

Forum posts will likely give more consistent but definitely more tainted results. There will be also sorts of constraints on formal language and following rules and topics that other forms of writing aren't constrained by.

While an interesting start this definitely fits the category of parlor tricks. It can figure out what the writer's intent was easily enough. Calling this the writer's personality is quite a big leap though. It might as well describe what fruit tastes like after examining the peelings.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:08 am

Well, Paul, I ran eight samples of your forum writings (all non-fiction) through Watson just to see what I got, and, as you probably guessed, quite a fair number of the parameters were all over the damned place (i.e., ranges of 0~100 or close to it). I may post some of the results once I sit down with some old textbooks and remember how to use that "standard deviation" thingamajig.

By the way, has anyone been able to score high in "artistic interests"? I'm honestly curious how Watson is judging this, as my own score took its one and only significant jump when I fed Watson some shitty verse.

View Original PostJonnyNova wrote:However, they're vastly overselling what it is capable of. It is likely just bait to get developers into their Bluemix system. They've got a fairly rich API as well as open source example projects of it being used, however, it is all tucked away behind a Bluemix account paywall.

I have no idea what that means, so I'll take that as as sign that you far better know what you're talking about here than I do! :tongue:

Forum posts will likely give more consistent but definitely more tainted results. There will be also sorts of constraints on formal language and following rules and topics that other forms of writing aren't constrained by.

I mentioned forum posts as, in a way, more indicative of personality because you're speaking on behalf of yourself, not attempting to emulate other personality types. I would imagine that if you are a demure person, but one of your fictional characters is angry and hot-blooded, their dialogue would necessarily skew the results. General trends in characterization certainly speak volumes about a writer's personality, but I have my doubts that the Watson algorithm is quite capable of interpretation on this level.

While an interesting start this definitely fits the category of parlor tricks. It can figure out what the writer's intent was easily enough. Calling this the writer's personality is quite a big leap though. It might as well describe what fruit tastes like after examining the peelings.

I do agree that it's an interesting start with a long ways to go. For me, it's a neat toy to play with until I get bored more than anything else.

JonnyNova
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JonnyNova » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Out of curiosity, how did you find this service Reichu?

Something worth noting about it: the API also returns Watson's confidence level on a score that the website is not showing. I'm going to poke around with some javascript later to see if that information is available in the browser and is just not being displayed.

View Original PostReichu wrote:I have no idea what that means, so I'll take that as as sign that you far better know what you're talking about here than I do! :tongue:

It is a basic hook a lot of software as a service (SaaS) companies are using lately to give potential customers an actual demonstration of what their product is capable of. It is a great technique that really offers a lot of benefit to buyer and the seller. The only downside is you can't use the more advanced featured for hobby purposes.

View Original PostReichu wrote:I mentioned forum posts as, in a way, more indicative of personality because you're speaking on behalf of yourself, not attempting to emulate other personality types. I would imagine that if you are a demure person, but one of your fictional characters is angry and hot-blooded, their dialogue would necessarily skew the results. General trends in characterization certainly speak volumes about a writer's personality, but I have my doubts that the Watson algorithm is quite capable of interpretation on this level.

I agree, but still have some reservations about it. Even when writing as yourself there is a good chance the intent will vary over the different materials. Especially in social contexts where there is flow going on.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”