Rei or Asuka?

The fate of SPOILERS is also the joy of speculation.
Readers enter at their own risk.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Joseki
Lilith

Re: Rei or Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:04 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:There is nothing personal, cute or intimate about hammering somebody with insults every time they're near you - It was a step forward for Asuka at the time because, at least she was beginning to see him and not a role she had assigned to him before even meeting him ("Daddy's boy") and she's very limited in the ways her pride lets her express affection.

But, they could simply go back to baka Shinji, too, because even that would be a definite improvement to "Go down quietly you stupid brat."

She may be very proud but in Q she ask him to help her at the beginning and scold him for not helping her at the end and called him "baka Shinji" both times. I also don't think that we can extract something said in a fight and make it something general otherwise we could even say that Shinji is a strong and selfless guy given how he acted before causing NTI. It's out of context and it's a pretty standard battle dialog, it's not like she wanted him dead.
Asuka is reacting to my stupid posts.

Geometer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Geometer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:04 pm

I really don't see Asuka having strong feelings for Shinji anymore. She had a crush on him 14 years ago, and then everything went to shit. She might have some nostalgia and sympathy for him, but nothing really that strong or romantic. I think the best case scenario is that they reconcile and end up as friends by the end, with maybe, maybe, the potential of a relationship being left open, but then we still don't know exactly how mature Asuka(14 years in a childs body) is and if she would be able to get along with Shinji.

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:34 pm

Very frankly, I don't think that Asuka truly 'grew up'. She never had a normal childhood or development, and her raging 14 year old hormones are definitely not helping her through the events of Near-3I. Shinji is Shinji, so...

Maybe they'll make up, but it's been a long time since 2.22.

(Please though it's the only ship I'm 100% for)
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Lennik
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Leaving aside for a moment whether Asuka is mentally a teenager or not (we've had this argument a million times here, and I think both sides make good points, so I won't reiterate it), I think we also need to ask which angle Anno is going for in their relationship.

And honestly, even noting everyone's objections to the relationship, I think Anno is going for Shinji/Asuka, given the fact that Shinji's reaction to finding out about Rei's origins does not seem to lend itself to foreshadowing any kind of romance between him and his own sister, and then there's Mari's teasing to boot. ("Oh, so you went to see his face?")

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Quite frankly, I think he's just going to fuck with us again and only tease with implications. Shinji is too broken, Asuka's too bitter. Rei-whateversheisnow is definitely out of the question. Mari's the goddamn Scooby-Doo villain of the Rebuilds except they don't do the whole "Mari was the gardener the entire time!" bit at the end.

Then watch as the ending of 3.0+1.0 is even more ambiguous as NGE or Shinji just sticks his limp noodle into a personified version of his SDAT.

Shinji x SDAT all the way, baby.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Geometer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Geometer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 pm

I think there simply isn't enough time for a romance. Shinji has to get his own shit together and that probably will either take all the movie or the first two acts, with the third act being about taking down NERV. Although I do lean towards Asuka being more likelyunfortunately either option is very unlikely, Rei is well Rei, the soul of a goddess in the body of his mother, and Asuka probably has mixed feelings, but its been 14 years, child's body or not. Neither side looks particular strong. At most I think we will get something hinting at the potential for a relationship starting at the end of the movie, but nothing will be shown in the movie.

Return to “Evangelion Final [SPOILERS]”