Rei or Asuka?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:52 pm

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Who says a non-human can't become more human as time goes on?

Everyone who realizes that Rei doesn't even have a body anymore. Hard to become more human when you're trapped in a 80m tall world ending biomechanical abomination. :tongue:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:01 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Everyone who realizes that Rei doesn't even have a body anymore. Hard to become more human when you're trapped in a 80m tall world ending biomechanical abomination. :tongue:

Still human. The body is irrelevant, it's the soul that matters.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:10 pm

^
And here I thought the smiley would help convey the fact I was joke. :sniffle:
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:36 pm

We're seriously still having this conversation?

Rei might as well be dead. Rei Q is a blank Slate, and Asuka is too old and all but hates Shinji's guts. Shippings off the table. For Good. Deal With It.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:38 pm

at least in NGE, the Seeds (as well as the Angels) were explicitly human, and most assuredly people.

They were revealed to be the same as us in a way. But people are an Angel that was divided. We are not like the Angels.
And after watching NGE, I don't see how you can say Rei is just a person. We don't even understand her. And you generalize deities by saying they are just like people. The ones in greek mythology are. But I'm pretty sure the christian God issupposed to be on another level than us.
If Rei is just a person, then why is it so difficult for her to be in the body of a person?

Whether you think they need relationships or not, they certainly appear to want them.

Until they realize what they really are, at which point they leave apparently.
Aliens are also commonly imagined as beings that want contact. Out of curiosity though.

Still human. The body is irrelevant, it's the soul that matters.

And I'd argue the soul doesn't matter either. The imagery does. GNR is portrayed as having wings, being inmaterial, having a third eye, all that god stuff. She has nothing to do with a person. Her last shot is her observing Shinji. She is an outsider observing and helping us after one of us helps her.

Asuka is too old

Maybe it doesn't matter. They kept her a teen for a reason. Like I said, not everything needs to make complete sense.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:46 pm

In the end, Shinji needs to be able to move on and leave Eva behind him. Getting with one of the other pilots - whether Rei or Asuka (I'm sure we will learn that Mari doesn't count for some reason) - would make that harder for him because of the shared memories; which is why I think that (given an opportunity to get to know her more), someone like Sakura would be the right kind of person to rescue him.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:51 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:In the end, Shinji needs to be able to move on and leave Eva behind him. Getting with one of the other pilots - whether Rei or Asuka (I'm sure we will learn that Mari doesn't count for some reason) - would make that harder for him because of the shared memories

I don't see how one of those things follows from the other. When you move on from a traumatic experience, that doesn't mean you leave behind the people who helped you get through it. In fact, I think that would make even less sense.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:57 pm

They've shared being traumatised by their experience rather than helped him through, I'd say.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:18 pm

I reiterate.We're STILL having this conversation? :asuka_miffed:

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:35 pm

Ray, just because Shinji screwed up doesn't mean he's fully exempt from having a happy life with someone of the Eva cast. If he was screwed, he'd be dead, but he isn't, so we aren't giving up.

It's like giving up on love, PERIOD, after one unsuccessful relationship. Yes, it shatters your world and preconceptions on love, but does that mean you should give up just because you failed? No. The only true failure is IF you give up. And Shinji isn't down for the count yet.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:38 pm

It seems there's a temptation for a lot of Eva fans to think that the "message" behind Eva is strictly one thing in particular, and that that message rules certain things out that it really shouldn't.

What I mean is that some people seem to be interpreting 3.0's message of letting go of the past to include forgetting about people from your past who are still alive, which is what I don't understand.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:43 pm

^

It's kind of an "all-or-nothing" mentality that's pretty common. If Shinji can mend them enough, then he shouldn't have anything to do with them, which isn't healthy or will solve anything except make him more bitter.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:55 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:They were revealed to be the same as us in a way. But people are an Angel that was divided. We are not like the Angels.
And after watching NGE, I don't see how you can say Rei is just a person. We don't even understand her. And you generalize deities by saying they are just like people. The ones in greek mythology are. But I'm pretty sure the christian God issupposed to be on another level than us.
If Rei is just a person, then why is it so difficult for her to be in the body of a person?

You keep saying "just a person" as though being a person limits you from being anything else. This is a flawed way of looking at it. It's like saying you can't be wise if you're intelligent or something.

Until they realize what they really are, at which point they leave apparently.

They died, man. You're being silly.

And I'd argue the soul doesn't matter either.

And you'd be fairly clearly wrong in the context of the show, as the nature of humanity is rather explicitly defined.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

xyz346
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby xyz346 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:41 pm

TBH, I really don't see how Rei is an option at this point. The original Rei is gone, and probably won't come back. Definitely don't see anything with Rei Q either. Like others have said, Shinji and Rei are stressed as having more like a sibling relationship this time around.

As for Asuka? I don't see how others say how being mentally 28 stops her from being considered a love interest. Why else would she be kept at 14? So I'll wait and see. But as for if it will happen...I can't really say for sure if it will happen. I could see her as serving any number of roles in FINAL, whether it be as a mentor, foil, or something else entirely. So I'll wait.

I do admit, I can see Shinji/Sakura working too.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:12 am

I repeat, if shipping HAS to happen then it must be Shinji & Sakura.

There is no other answer. Everything else is wrong.

^_^

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:16 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I repeat, if shipping HAS to happen then it must be Shinji & Sakura.

There is no other answer. Everything else is wrong.

^_^

Thankfully, Suimame does not subscribe to such ridiculously absurd logic. :devil:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:01 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Thankfully, Suimame does not subscribe to such ridiculously absurd logic. :devil:

It's not really incompatible, since he already makes Shinji and Mari share Asuka, so why not add Sakura in the party? The possibilities! :naughty:

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:27 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I repeat, if shipping HAS to happen then it must be Shinji & Sakura.

I know your kidding, but I doubt she's going to be showcasing her bedside manner around him anymore. What with starting an entirely new impact.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:42 pm

^ I do agree with that wholeheartedly. Personally I find shipping is pretty dumb. Especially in regards to the Eva universe. With 3.0 Anno intentionally seemed to have done what he could to make a romantic relationship between Shinji & any of the female cast an impossibility.

1. Asuka's mentally twice his age. If you think Asuka & Shinji would fit well together try this - if you're under 30 go find someone half your age & try to have a conversation with them. You'll have nothing in common. Or you'll discover you're a pervert in which case you may want to get help.
2. Rei's basically half his mom. Gross.
3. Mari falls into the same camp as Asuka.
4. Misato, Ritsuko, Maya & the core female team of the Wille? Nope. They're all adults.

At least with Sakura the two would be age & emotionally appropriate in like 4 or 5 years. So if I had to have a horse in the shipping game it's Sakura all the way.

Plus she's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:51 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote: she's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute.

I have to sigg this...

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”