Rei or Asuka?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:43 am

^

Different strokes for different folks.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:51 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:he only pairing that makes sense at this point is Marisuka.

I'm down with this! :thumbsup:

I don't think Shinji needs to or should end up with anyone in the final film. There's a huge gulf between him and Asuka and they have very little chemistry in this continuity. He's known Mari for maybe 5 minutes. I'm very dubious of Kaworu's intentions and his influence on Shinji and Rei is out to lunch for the time being though I expect she'll be back.

What he really needs is to get his shit together and find hope and self-respect before considering a relationship. Love of friends, love of family, those are both very important things Shinji could use right now. Plenty of time for romantic relationships once he's grown up a little and come to terms with himself!
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:41 am

Technically, the Rei he knows and cares about isn't dead, just stuck inside Unit 01. XD

But yeah, him learning to love and come to terms with himself does come first.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:49 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Technically, the Rei he knows and cares about isn't dead, just stuck inside Unit 01. XD

No, she's dead. Eva's a world with souls, so everyone's soul goes somewhere when they die. Rei's just happened to get chomped by an Angel, and then transferred to an Eva. But she's still dead. It's just that dead means less than it otherwise might in a world where souls can be captured and transferred to new bodies.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:39 am

At the beginning of Q Shinji wakes up into a container thing with the eva's crucified prototype thing figure attached on it, you kind of wonder why yui and Rei were not sucked out of eva01 other than "they chosen not to".
It kind of tells you Shinji did it because Asuka called for him

Btw I got nothing against Rei she's actually the character I like the most and imho the very first reason people are into eva until the find other things to root for.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:46 am

That's kind of a stretch. I'm pretty sure that there's a much deeper reason for Rei not being able to be retrieved besides the fact that she didn't answer Asuka's call for help.

Heck, it should come as no surprise that Shinji answered the latter, since I'm pretty sure he'd do that for anyone who was close to him.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:49 am

And Yui hasn't returned because she's still on a mission (OK, I know that's an as-yet unsupported carry-over from the series, but fanwanking is better when it follows precedent, I feel).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:01 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:That's kind of a stretch. I'm pretty sure that there's a much deeper reason for Rei not being able to be retrieved besides the fact that she didn't answer Asuka's call for help.

Heck, it should come as no surprise that Shinji answered the latter, since I'm pretty sure he'd do that for anyone who was close to him.

Rei did things in Ha not to have him pilot anymore and still does.
I think as far as actions go it all follows the movies, what I can't be sure about is the container's function and how it relates to what wille chars know.
Btw Idk why 01 core's shouldn't contain yui

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:26 am

Now that I think about it, Shinji's soul was in Unit 01, not Yui's or Rei's, because Asuka called out for Shinji and Unit 01 responded, Yui would never help Asuka. Maybe that's the point, only one soul can occupy a core at a time, I think Yui and Rei were pushed out, Rei went back to being Quantum, and Yui went the fuck elsewhere.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:57 am

Fuyutsuki clearly says otherwise to Shinji in Q.

Also, Yui will do whatever she can for Shinji's happiness - if what's needed is helping him rescue Asuka, then that's fine.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:08 am

Is there such a rule in NTE? Like didn't Rei entered 01's core in Ha?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:58 am

View Original Postunz wrote:Is there such a rule in NTE? Like didn't Rei entered 01's core in Ha?

Q explicitly states that Rei's soul is elsewhere from the currently active Rei (Rei Q) , therefore Rei's soul is likely still trapped in Unit-01, along with Yui's.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:08 am

Hmmm. Yui is clearly the control system of Unit 01. Rei is . . . somewhere in Unit 01, it's not clear where. Given the core swapping business I'd hesitate to say she's in the core.

As to Yui doing whatever she must to see Shinji happy, I think that's far from established. I can see Rei doing that, but Yui . . . who knows? :shrug:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:10 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Q explicitly states that Rei's soul is elsewhere from the currently active Rei (Rei Q) , therefore Rei's soul is likely still trapped in Unit-01, along with Yui's.

yeah pwhodges ninja'd me.
I mean I never heard of the single soul thing

" Given the core swapping business I'd hesitate to say she's in the core."

I feel like the space balls dudes watching their own movie, I'm lostD:

Lord ikari shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lord ikari shinji » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:31 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:
Also, Yui will do whatever she can for Shinji's happiness - if what's needed is helping him rescue Asuka, then that's fine.

Well, that logic seems flawed, where the f*** was Yui in 2.0, when the dummy system was ripping Asuka apart.

Oh wait, here comes that thoery of the dummy system being a foregn force unknown to her control, well no shit and the some act be said about toji's event inin NGE.

I honestly believe Yui is not as relevant the rebuilds, maybe in 3.0+1.0.

Also ritsuko also stated that Shinji's sync levels random spiked and it return to zero, I believe the seen in space was just to show Shinji's long slumber has finally ended, and now he returns to a world his selfishness destory (also Misato's fault as well egging him on)
lord Ikari solo's all less-er beings
----------------------------------------
MY OTP:
~hardcore Shinji/Asuka shipper`
-LAS 4 life-

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:36 am

"Save the girl because that's what you want to do!" =/= "End the world with a power we didn't know you had!"
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:41 am

As far as I know the dummy system develops an at field on its own like a digitalized person, now Rei is the clone who does anything ordered but Idk who the dummy is. Since automated evas are present it's not a stretch to guess they are piloted from dummies so it's either Rei or kaworu.
Yui probably realized she got tricked later when the dummy screamed (like the failures of infinity but I don't know what's the evageeks take on them).
---------------

Btw I remember shinji01 carving 00's core out of the angel at the end of Ha, I'm not motivated enough to see how this fits with everything else. I'd have to check Ha's ending and take a guess on wunder's core and whatever else there is

Lord ikari shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lord ikari shinji » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:42 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:"Save the girl because that's what you want to do!" =/= "End the world with a power we didn't know you had!"

No, but it does equal terrible generic Shonen writing, smh.
lord Ikari solo's all less-er beings
----------------------------------------
MY OTP:
~hardcore Shinji/Asuka shipper`
-LAS 4 life-

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Sakura Suzuhara is best girl.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:37 am

^
That's cause we don't have any dirt on her.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”