Rei or Asuka?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

Rei or Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Alright, I know Anno doesn't like shipping in his movies and the chances of either one happening is slim, but since the rebuilds have a less darker tone than the original and the last movie will for sure have a different ending, I think their is a good chance it will be a happy ending. And if so let's say Shinji has to pick one to be with, who would you rather see him with.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:27 pm

Mari was introduced for a reason.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:44 pm

Asuka and Shinji will ALWAYS be my preferred ship of Evangelion, regardless of the circumstances, cause the first series made them so alike in so many ways. They are the pinnacle representation of the "hedgehog's dilemma".

As for Rebuild, it's wishful thinking, but I at least hope they get on better terms.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:29 am

^Yea I agree, if their gonna make it happy and not ambiguous this time at least leave Asuka and Shinji on good terms. And what is Mari's purpose bc I have yet to figure it out yet.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:01 am

Old Testament for LAS and New Testament LRS.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:25 am

FINAL will definitely have some sort of closure to Rei and Shinji for sure. Back when NTE first began, Newtype articles claimed NTE would be heavily focused on Rei and Kaworu.

Mari herself seemed to "ship" LAS in 3.0, but...For Asuka/Shinji, I hope they'll at least be on better terms at the end of FINAL than at the end of EoE. :grumpygrr:

I don't necessarily think they'll be any actual shipping of Shinji/whoever except maybe via hints or a post-credits flash-forward. Unless FINAL goes troll route with Shinji/Sakura or Shinji/Mari.

I am a fan of LAS for sure, but realistically speaking I'm not gonna hold my breath.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:33 am

Shinji & Sakura Suzuhara is the only true ship.

Their kids would be so cute.

(Plus she's like the only girl left alive who's kinda age appropriate & isn't a clone of his mom)

Cosmo11
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cosmo11 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:34 am

With Asuka, I just hope her and Shinji make amends. A romantic relationship is to unlikely at this point.

With Rei, this isn't going to happen. She's dead for starters and I think it would be better for Shinji to move on from her.[/b]

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:02 am

^
That and the fact Q insisted heavily on the fact they are technically half-sibling.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:50 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:That and the fact Q insisted heavily on the fact they are technically half-sibling.

Can we have Rei call Shinji nii-chan?

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Rei or Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:14 am

View Original PostEvangelionGodMode wrote:Alright, I know Anno doesn't like shipping in his movies and the chances of either one happening is slim, but since the rebuilds have a less darker tone than the original and the last movie will for sure have a different ending, I think their is a good chance it will be a happy ending. And if so let's say Shinji has to pick one to be with, who would you rather see him with.

Pie.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Fredsq
Embryo

Re: Rei or Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby Fredsq » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:50 am

View Original PostEvangelionGodMode wrote:(…) but since the rebuilds have a less darker tone than the original (…)

I don’t know man Q was pretty grim to me, even more so than NGE

View Original PostEvangelionGodMode wrote:I think their is a good chance it will be a happy ending.

There*
I hope not, honestly. An Eva production that ends with a happy ending must either be a faux-happy ending like the manga or very very ambiguous like EoE. I’m hoping it’ll end catastrophically just like EoE and the only snogging will be to spite Shinji to get into the robot one more time.

View Original PostEvangelionGodMode wrote:And if so let's say Shinji has to pick one to be with, who would you rather see him with.

In NTE, Shinji × Rei have a maternal relationship, Asuka × Shinji is more of a romantic set, Mari × Shinji is pretty much friendship as she’s much older apparently and sees him as an interesting kid at most. Sakura is a normal person, I don’t think she can cope with the huge burden Shinji carries as the world’s destroyer.
So if anyone, Asuka it will be, most likely! She’s got the mindset to take care of him being an adult now, and Q pretty much points towards her still having feelings for Shin-kun.

EDIT: I think I glitched the forum

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:52 pm

Rei isn't even a person, she is something else. An alien being, to give a different perspective on humanity. She sees the whole picture (when she understands herslf) like in EoE. And Anno has described her as his unconscious.
I don't see what would be the point in a relationship between her and Shinji (a romantic one). Now, Asuka is basically a woman. Their relationship has potential. We'll see if it's relevant in 3.0+1.0.
SPOILER: Show
Shinji x Asuka 4 life.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:19 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Rei isn't even a person, she is something else. An alien being, to give a different perspective on humanity.
I don't see what would be the point in a relationship between her and Shinji
(a romantic one).

Hey, non-person people need lovin' too!

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:23 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Hey, non-person people need lovin' too!

We need a non-person people day to acknowledge non-person people.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:03 pm

So, what, KaworuXRei it finally is? :tongue: I'd be okay with this.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:44 pm

Talk about What Measure Is A Non Human (which I think is incredibly unfair to Rei).

Being the R/S shipper that I am (a minority in these here parts it seems), I am of course hoping to see that be what it ends up as. Plus, those two have been essentially one of the main focal points throughout this series (as opposed to when it was him and Asuka in the original series), so I am at least expecting to see some form of proper closure regarding their relationship. Who says a non-human can't become more human as time goes on?

As for S/A, unless there is some serious development in the last film, I'm just gonna call it a case of Strangled By The Red String if they end up getting together in the end. Plus, Asuka's had like, 14 years of battles and the like that she's been through. Wouldn't be surprised if, like Meryl from MGS4, she's put her childish crush on Shinji away.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Grrr. Depending on how "human" is defined this time around Rei may or may not qualify (though she almost certainly would), but the notion that she is not a person is utter bollocks. She is self-aware, she has personality and identity, she has consciousness. There is no definition of person one could offer wherein she did not qualify.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:04 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:So, what, KaworuXRei it finally is? :tongue: I'd be okay with this.

but the notion that she is not a person is utter bollocks. She is self-aware, she has personality and identity, she has consciousness. There is no definition of person one could offer wherein she did not qualify.

Rei is more than a person. She is a god..or something. Something we do't even understand. The thing is she first has to understand herself over the course of the series. After that she teaches Shinji something as an outsider, a being wiser than us.

And that's why I think Rei won't have a pairing, not even Kaworu. Wasn't the reason humans needed relationships that we were like an Angel divided into millions of parts? I don't think Rei needs that, or Kaworu. They are Angels.

The relationship between Rei and Shinji is them elping each other understand themselves.

I don't know about Rei Q though.

Wouldn't be surprised if, like Meryl from MGS4, she's put her childish crush on Shinji away.

I don't think she has, and that will be part of the last film I suppose. A person obsessed with the past.
I've learned to accept 3.0 as a very abstract film. If NGE had explanations for everything and the abstract sequences happened in the minds of the characters, 3.0 is abstarct the whole time. Just look at how weird this film is (characters that learn to play the piano in a matter of seconds, for example).
That's why I think the Asuka thing makes sense. 14 years is a lot, but we don't have to think of her as a completely realistic character.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:19 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Rei is more than a person. She is a god..or something.

No, she's really not (and the notion that gods aren't persons is ridiculous, as most every single deity that can be described as such qualified as a person as well as a deity). We don't know yet how the ENT series' backstory works, but, at least in NGE, the Seeds (as well as the Angels) were explicitly human, and most assuredly people. We have no reason to think matters are any different this time around.

And that's why I think Rei won't have a pairing, not even Kaworu. Wasn't the reason humans needed relationships that we were like an Angel divided into millions of parts? I don't think Rei needs that, or Kaworu. They are Angels.

In NGE, they are not. In the ENT series we don't now what Lilith is (nor what exactly her relationship with Rei is), and things are murky with Kaworu. But in any case his being an Angel (or whatever) doesn't seem to have kept him from wanting a relationship of some sort with Shinji. And of course, we know the same was true for Poka!Rei. Whether you think they need relationships or not, they certainly appear to want them.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”