Volume 14 of Sadamoto's Manga - Anybody else got their copy?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Super Chris
Embryo

Volume 14 of Sadamoto's Manga - Anybody else got their copy?

•      
  •      

Postby Super Chris » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:31 am

So my preordered copy of volume 14 showed up in the mail the other day, slightly ahead of the February release date I was expecting. Just wondering if anybody else got theirs, since I imagine the manga *finally* concluding after over 20 years would prompt some discussion. The bulk of its contents are already summed up in the wiki, the majority of it can basically be described as a compressed retelling of End of Eva, with the last chapter running off in a new direction.

After that, however, there's a bonus chapter that I'm having a hard time following. I don't know, it might make some sense to me if I had seen Rebuild 3.0 (I've been waiting for the US disc release, which at this point is starting to look like it'll never arrive...)
SPOILER: Show
It takes place in 1998, and... it's basically a slice of life-ish short story about Mari Makinami being kind of a bitch to Yui. In it Mari's 16 and just got pushed ahead into college. About halfway through it includes Yui's story to her colleagues about how she met Gendo. At any rate, the question is, is there something I'm missing about Mari from not having seen 3.0? Or does this mean there's something about her that they're planning for 4.0?

Or is it another one of Evangelion's "Let's see how much we can confuse the fans!" moments?
[/spoiler]
This is a signature. A better one will come sometime later.

Eleven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Volume 14 of Sadamoto's Manga - Anybody else got their c

•      
  •      

Postby Eleven » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:18 am

View Original PostSuper Chris wrote:
SPOILER: Show
At any rate, the question is, is there something I'm missing about Mari from not having seen 3.0? Or does this mean there's something about her that they're planning for 4.0?

Or is it another one of Evangelion's "Let's see how much we can confuse the fans!" moments?
[/spoiler]

No, 3.0 doesn't help to understand that chapter at all. I guess it's the latter.
I apologize for any grammar mistakes, as I am not a native speaker.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:07 pm

I see the last chapter as just being what it is, in isolation - a bonus, not particularly connected to anything.

There's a long discussion of it (covered in spoilers) in the thread here.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Super Chris
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Chris » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Well there we go. I usually just check the frontsite and somehow I got the impression that the entire release - not just the US release - had been delayed until February.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:01 pm

So you've just received the Viz printing, have you? My (UK) delivery estimate for that is still shown as mid-March! Indeed, Viz list it as a February release. I'm pleased to have the Japanese already.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:20 pm

I would love if I got the vol14 soon. Maybe they are sending some early for shipping purposes, but I don't know why there would be problems with shipping...
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Super Chris
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Chris » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:59 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:So you've just received the Viz printing, have you? My (UK) delivery estimate for that is still shown as mid-March! Indeed, Viz list it as a February release. I'm pleased to have the Japanese already.

Yeah, it's the Viz printing. My guess is that the store I got it from received a shipment, and decided to send it off to everybody who ordered it since they never actually updated the pushed back release date on their product page.

Mario_Abel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mario_Abel » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:32 am

Nice! Which website did you make the preorder?
Acceptance.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Anybody who has their early copies: Did Carl Horn get to write his final thoughts in this volume? I'm curious what he said. Otherwise, what took them so long to release this?

He didn't for Volume 13, so hopefully he'll have interesting things to say whenever (you know'll happen soon) a VIZ Vol 13 + 14 (and extras?) Omnibus comes out.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:11 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:what took them so long to release this?

Maybe Khara didn't approve of the translation :chuckles:

... all joking aside, I really have no idea

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:25 pm

Only another month to wait in the UK - honestly, it would be faster to cancel my Amazon UK order and get it shipped from the US, even now! The only thing stopping me is the stupid cost of shipping from the US - considerably more than faster shipping from Japan, for instance.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:34 pm

I got my copy! ^_^

http://www.evamonkey.com/final-volume-of-neon-genesis-evangelion-manga-released/

Time for a manga binge!

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:58 pm

I had almost forgot that I pre-ordered it. The other day almost went to Amazon and placed another order.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:43 am

^ It comes with the extra volume? Nice!

Amazon UK has the date as March 12th, so I still have to wait a while yet :( I already read it online last year, but I look forward to owning it and finishing my collection.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:11 pm

picked up a copy today from Barnes and Noble
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:04 pm

Nobody?

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Anybody who has their early copies: Did Carl Horn get to write his final thoughts in this volume? I'm curious what he said. Otherwise, what took them so long to release this?

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:42 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Did Carl Horn get to write his final thoughts in this volume? I'm curious what he said.

Sadly, nothing from Carl Horn in this volume. His name doesn't appear in the English adaptation credits, either.
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:32 am

The heck?! :huh:

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:36 am

Well, Carl works at Dark Horse now, so I wouldn't think he'd still do anything for Viz.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:02 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Well, Carl works at Dark Horse now, so I wouldn't think he'd still do anything for Viz.

He still maintains some ties with Viz. He's shared with me some things privately related to the release. I think one thing that would be okay to share is that the reason for a lack of bonus materials in this volume wasn't for a lack of want, but being a simultaneous release, approval for any bonus materials would have delayed release. Otherwise, I'm sure he would have wanted to include some personal thoughts or reflections to commemorate the final volume.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”