Recut of 2001

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Recut of 2001

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:51 am

What on earth is the point of doing this?

[url]http://filmmakermagazine.com/92370-soderbergh-posts-his-110-minute-recut-and-rethink-of-kubricks-2001/#.VLv-LB-9KnO[/url]

[url]http://extension765.com/sdr/23-the-return-of-w-de-rijk[/url]
Last edited by pwhodges on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:53 am

To piss off everyone with any sense of taste.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:19 am

Seems like an attempt to make 2001 watchable by people with no sense of beauty or patience. If Soderbergh truly wanted to succeed in that, he should've remade the entire movie instead of wrecking Kubrick's work. (This is the same man who remade Solaris and seems to have done a decent job, nothing stopped him from trying the same with 2001)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:14 am

There are movie buffs who do fan re-edits of movies all the time. The only difference in this case is that it's not just a movie buff but an established director who did it, but I don't think that really matters much. Soderbergh didn't get any money from this project and it seems like he was just doing something he likes in his spare time. I can still enjoy the original film (which is one of my all time favorites) just the same as before.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

brendansteere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brendansteere » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:00 pm

Yeah, I think it's probably more playful than people are assuming. Soderbergh has been a very meta and experimental artist in the past (see: Schizopolis, Bubble), and is someone with very little sense of sanctity in filmmaking (famously throwing away celluloid at the first chance he got and never looking back).

I think perhaps moreso than just re-editing the film to have fun doing it, he's trying to say something larger about how sacred people hold some films, and how that's... kinda silly when you really consider it. They're just pictures that move. You can shuffle 'em around with Final Cut.

Also, the run time is probably because he's pretty famously impatient. 2001 is a great film, but it does have a lot of what I would consider "dead space", and I get the metaphor, and that's cute and all, but I don't blame Soderbergh for trimming some of it out. Also, he's probably got two weeks of free time between seasons of The Knick. Heh, only so much time to tinker. ^_^
I made music and a pilot for you, which I hope you enjoy.

I also made a feature-length movie, which has nothing to do with Evangelion, but you can check out if you'd like to do something different for a while.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:49 pm

Apart from maybe a couple of minutes of the ape scenes, I've never found any of the "non-action" scenes superfluous or boring. They actually added to the strange, mesmeric beauty of this movie.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:45 am

If I had Soderbergh's clout I'd do these fan edit exercises from time to time just to have a laugh too.

Some fun ideas:
Make a cut of 'Goodfellas' without the voiceover.
A cut of 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' were the aliens aren't real.
A cut of 'Alien' without the birth scene - as it played in one theater in 1979 thanks to management.
And a cut of 'Magic Mike' without any stripping. In B&W.

:)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:57 am

Soderbergh's re-edits are little more than his version of AMVs, and should be viewed as harmless as an AMV exercise would be.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brendansteere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brendansteere » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:05 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Apart from maybe a couple of minutes of the ape scenes, I've never found any of the "non-action" scenes superfluous or boring. They actually added to the strange, mesmeric beauty of this movie.

I can believe that. I think I was probably too young when I saw the movie to be honest, and I've since seen classics of "slow cinema" that I've totally adored. I've been meaning to give 2001 another shot and a fair shake for a while, so perhaps I'll change my mind when I check it out again.

And a cut of 'Magic Mike' without any stripping. In B&W

All of these are actually great reedit ideas, but this one's my favorite. Haha!
I made music and a pilot for you, which I hope you enjoy.

I also made a feature-length movie, which has nothing to do with Evangelion, but you can check out if you'd like to do something different for a while.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:45 pm

Eh, even though I found some of the space ship scenes unnecessary and superfluous, something Kubrick is often guilty of IMO especially towards the end of his career, I find it hard to imagine chopping off a whole half hour from the movie without fundamentally changing its narrative structure. There aren't that many space ship shots.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Return to “Film and Video”