Black Mirror

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Black Mirror

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:35 am

Recently discovered this UK twilight-zone-ish series and found it quite good, especially episodes 2, 3 and the recent christmas special. Basically the unifying premise is considering dystopian side effects of fantastic technology or cultural trends.

Anybody else watching this? Most of it is on Netflix now.
Last edited by NemZ on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:12 am

^I've never heard about this before, but it looks really interesting; I'll give it a try.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:41 am

Episode 2 was great. So cynical and depressing. I loved the facial expressions of the one judge
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:30 am

^Well, after watching the show I have to say I'm very surprised at how short the seasons are, like 3 episodes per season.

Although I must say that it's kind of torn away my lingering hope in the human race.

And I'm nothing like you

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:48 am

They aren't ALL horrible, of course. The facebook + cleverbot = replacement dad one was at least a mixed bag. Combine that with the 'grain' and 'kernel' technology from eps 3 and 7 (not on Netflix yet... look for Black Mirror: White Christmas) and you have functional immortality.

Whether or not that means immortality in the sweatbike mines is another matter, of course. :devil:
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:09 am

^Hmm, yeah, the Cleverbot one was at least mixed-positive. Haven't seen White Christmas yet, but I will shortly. Season 2 Episode 2 was clever in how

SPOILER: Show
It initially seemed to me like a sort of 'Running Man' thing, then they pretended it was a post-apocalyptic scenario, and then it turns out it was 'Running Man' all along mixed with Groundhog Day. Also the idea that if you commit crime in the future you'll get put up on display for public humiliation.

Season 1 Episode 3 was very interesting, albeit bleak, especially after I came to believe

Not only does Liam lose his wife and the child that he had come to believe was his, he also goes blind after gouging himself

And I'm nothing like you

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:32 am

Shocked to see not so many comments on this one!

I really, really, really liked "The entire history of you", "white christmas" and "white bear". The other episodes were also great, "the waldo moment" possibly being the weakest but still interesting enough.

Am I wrong in seeing some slightly misogynistic slant in the series?

"the entire history of you"
Fi cheats on Liam

"white christmas"
Beth (the wife) has an affair with Tim (the asian friend of the couple)

"be right back"
the family guy is objectified by the mother and basically the daughter

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:42 pm

View Original PostFalcon_of_the_Sun wrote:Am I wrong in seeing some slightly misogynistic slant in the series?

I don't think so... they just appear that way because we're presented the story from the mostly male protagonists view so of course they blame others, but when you really step back and look at it basically everyone is equally full of shit.

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:56 pm

Yeah, not exactly many "innocent" people there, but in two of the cases I mentioned it really seemed to me that it was the woman to do the first irredeemable thing.

Either way, amazing series, looking forward for more.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:17 pm

To be honest i first thought you were summarizing the episodes in the spoilers before reading the "miss oginy" sentence.

That half of the human race (lol) is the first to do something irredeemable could well be a base for an argument on the serie's misogynist undertones, but presented by itself makes for a very hollow argument.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “Film and Video”