[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Re: [News] strange happenings of 2015

Postby BobBQ » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:33 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'm having a hard time telling if these are actual social activists or performance artists lampooning liberal social movements by yelling random, vaguely academic sounding gibberish at people.

Wenn ich Microaggression höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:59 pm

It was going to happen eventually: private drones keep flitting into official and emergency airspace. They've even prevented police helicopters from doing their jobs, because they'll buzz areas of interest to try and get camera footage.

There's a fine line between annoying and hazardous in there.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Banned

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Fucking finally. It's about fucking time.

As to microaggressions and cancer patients: man, wat? No matter your gripe, that is not the way to handle it. Advocacy fail 101.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

IronEvangelion
Lilin
Lilin

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:52 pm

Excellent. Maybe now we'll see less of these things being used to spy on people.
Final Fantasy VII is being remade, all's right with the world.
#1 Duck Team/Akebi Sasaki (Girls und Panzer) fan.
"There are two things I can't stand: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." -Nigel Powers (Austin Powers: Goldmember)
"Oh no, Haruka! My butt's already split! I think my whole team's butts are split!" -Minori (Senran Kagura: Estival Versus)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:58 am

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Celebrating Radio Eva at 10 (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:21 am

Not to be a hipster. But I followed Chris Chapel's China Uncensored Youtube Channel, and I knew about that about a year ago.

It's time to face reality. If Communism and authoritarian brainwashing in China hasn't fallen yet, it's probably never going to.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:44 am

Holy crap. I'm equal parts impressed and enraged at this concept.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:18 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:It's time to face reality. If Communism and authoritarian brainwashing in China hasn't fallen yet, it's probably never going to.

China gave up communism years ago. The empire is back, expect that it's empire by committee. The Mandarians are in charge now.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 24 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:00 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:41 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:China gave up communism years ago. The empire is back, expect that it's empire by committee. The Mandarians are in charge now.

The Mandarians? Very alien.

Final deep longwall coal mine in England has been shut down

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:23 pm

Pretty good summary of the collective digging done online about the recent Juniper disclosure https://www.imperialviolet.org/2015/12/19/juniper.html

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:54 pm

:| I understood almost nothing in that link.

I think I got the gist, though.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:16 am

Juniper are a big supplier of enterprise routers and firewall appliances; for those devices to contain malware or backdoors could be a really big deal!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:41 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote: :| I understood almost nothing in that link.
It switches between levels of abstraction on the assumption that you have acquaintance with all of them.

At the bottom, cryptographic protocols rely on a source of randomness to provide unpredictable keys.

The report dives into implementation details for elliptic curve cryptographic primitives, based on some well-known values identified in the Juniper code. It resurfaces to indicate that a cryptographic pseudo-random number generator (PRNG) had been identified in the code -- one that takes a lot of computation per output bit, which isn't something you would expect to be used in a system that is expected to pass high volumes of traffic, and thus need to generate at high rates. Worse, it was not given the well known and reasonably trusted values for taking a secret seed value to a next state. Worse still, those values have been changed again in the patch to other values of unknown properties.

There is history of doctored PRNGs which leak enough of the secret internal state to allow you to predict the next generated value given a sample of the output, and hence deduce the keys which will be used to secure traffic using that endpoint, just by looking at the traffic on the wire. This being a doubly doctored PRNG, people then infer the worst.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:54 am

The history of the slow prngs in the article is the real case of the double ec prng which took a long time to generate because it needed to be decrypted by some "special" key. Another thing touched upon was how in the world did unauthorized code make it into proprietary firmware? And if that's something more common than previous suspicions, what else had been secretly backdoored?

Funny relevant image

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:23 pm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ysicists1/

Those of you who are scienticians, feel free to explain what the fuck this means.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:06 pm

Either it's nothing, or it's something brand new. Nobody knows what that thing might be, and that's kinda exciting.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:08 am

What we call elementary or fundamental particles form a coherent grouping in a way that is somewhat theoretically justifiable. This grouping and its theory is called the Standard Model. The grouping of known particles according to the Standard Model suggested some other unobserved particles should exist, so previously unobserved particles have subsequently been found simply by looking for effects predicted by the Standard Model; the Higgs Boson was the most recent notable example.

But now a couple of experiments have thrown up a pattern of results which could correspond to the existence of a particle not predicted by the Standard Model, which hasn't happened since it was accepted as the best theory describing the relationships of the known particles - decades ago. However, it is not yet clear whether the results are sufficiently reproduceable to be considered unimpeachable evidence for a new unexpected particle. So more similar experiments will be required to clarify whether this was just a poor result, or whether the Standard Model now needs to be rewritten or at least extended to accommodate this result as part of an enlargement of its pattern.

Such an enlargement would, by its nature, predict additional particles to be searched for as "companions" of this one - finding another particle in that way would both justify the acceptance of this possible particle, and also support whatever extension of the Standard Model led to that discovery.

As it stands the Standard Model is a strong enough theory that throwing it out and starting again is not an option with so little evidence to justify such an idea.

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:47 am

I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Bagheera
Banned

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:21 am

View Original PostRay wrote:http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/21/muslims-shield-christians-by-refusing-to-split-into-groups-in-mandera-bus-attack-5578401/

Heh. That makes a nice parallel to a related story in the U.S.:

https://gma.yahoo.com/armed-forces-memb ... ories.html

Fuck the extremists, it's time we stand together rather than be driven apart.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”