[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:30 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Aye, but that could be construed as politics and get my post nuked.

I like to think that the rule is more about avoiding arguments that get heated than the mere mention of politics itself. However, TPTB have difficulty in agreeing on any other way to express this economically.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Well, it seems like there's nothing to worry about after all- The TPP just fell through after Japan discovered the US was spying on them.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:30 pm

Oh. I hope this doesn't hurt Japan/US relations too bad.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:58 pm

What a steaming pile. Whoever wrote that hasn't read up on Japan's copyright law.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:34 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/currency/11777486/Executive-arrested-over-disappearance-of-390-million-in-Bitcoins.html

Maybe we'll find out whether it was fraud or merely incompetence. In any case, it seems that those who did not learn from history (all the accumulated prior art of currencies and banking) are simply repeating it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Not seeing it... B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:10 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:What a steaming pile. Whoever wrote that hasn't read up on Japan's copyright law.

I don't really get their point either. American or Canadian IP I could see maybe, but why would enforcement of Japanese IP suddenly change in Japan due to an external trade agreement?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:54 pm

There's also general intellectual copyright law as well as creative commons. The article seems to just be running along the lines of "boo hoo, TPP bad" without doing any research. (That's not to say that I think the TPP is wonderful on all fronts-- I'd be lying if I didn't say I was skeptical about parts of it-- but a lot of what I read about it is just fearmongering.)

The short of the matter is that anime and cosplay fans have nothing to fear from the TPP. Neither do doujinshi artists.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Not seeing it... B/

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:57 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:why would enforcement of Japanese IP suddenly change in Japan due to an external trade agreement?

I can't remember details of where it applies, but the TPP does contain provisions to override laws/governments in certain matters.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:12 pm

It's hard to say for sure since the whole thing is being kept secret, but rumors abound that the TPP contains all kinds of SOPA-like regulations, copywright/patent protections, labor laws and who knows what else that if ratified as a treaty would become laws of the land. And since this would almost certainly be one of these "we have to pass it to find out what's in it" bullshit arrangements it would be effectively bypassing congress.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:49 pm

Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:55 pm

^ It really makes me sick how so many people in the U.S don't realize that their freedoms come from. How many people just take it for granted and think the Military is useless, they should just get out of the U.S those people make me sick.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:53 pm

I may not support the Iraq War, but I do support the troops who fought in it. People need to realize that when you're a soldier, the military doesn't let you pick which wars you want to participate in. The problems are the elected officials who make those kinds of decisions.

Also, I find it funny when someone who is anti-war advocates the mass-murder of people they disagree with. Hypocrites.
[Redacted]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:27 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:What a steaming pile. Whoever wrote that hasn't read up on Japan's copyright law.

That clickbaity site is following on the style of Shitkaku and its ilk: poorly researched and written to create a FUD mentality for an ill-informed audience.

----------
http://thenextdigit.com/24704/facebook-ceo-unveiled-aquila-internet-drone/

Makes me wonder if this thing is hardened against the possibility of being used as a weapon by rogue individuals.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:01 am

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/03/hitchhiking-robots-cross-country-journey-comes-to-tragic-end-in-philadelphia/?tid=sm_fb[/url]

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:25 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/03/hitchhiking-robots-cross-country-journey-comes-to-tragic-end-in-philadelphia/?tid=sm_fb[/url]

Oh dear. If/when I get round to building a robot waifu I'll make sure she's capable of self defence.

Gun emoji triggers NY activists.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:08 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Well, it seems like there's nothing to worry about after all- The TPP just fell through after Japan discovered the US was spying on them.

Wait, it's confirmed with certainty that Japan's inclusion in the TPP has falled down? Not some sort of ruse or something that'd be forgotten in a couple months?

Well, if true that's some mighty good news for once.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:48 am

Last Dambuster pilot dies he was 96 years old
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Eventually everyone who remember WW2 will be dead. . . and the world will be all the poorer for it.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

This has become parody. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:46 am

Why Beijing Is a Terrible Choice for the 2022 Winter Olympic Games

Granted, the choice was between them or Kazakhstan, whose no better on human rights... but at least the latter had snow.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Best Korea now has its own time zone. Just don't hold your breath for the Java and .net API modifications to support it.

EPA causes million gallon waste spill. This is what's technically called an "own goal".
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”