Shinji and the Doctor

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Shinji and the Doctor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Shinji and the Doctor, otherwise known as Series Thirty and Three Quarters and Doctor Who: The Evangelion Error by philopoemen is probably one of the best Evangelion crossovers I've read to date.

The series is obvious in it's premise, on a miserable rainy sometime after Shinji runs away for the first time, Shinji meets an eccentric foreigner on a train, who not only turns his world upside down, but becomes one of the greatest things that Shinji could have ever needed in his miserable life: A Mentor, and this fic does it well, amazingly well.

What's great about this fic is how it blends the ideas of both the Doctor Who universe and Evangelion so well, how the Doctor is the only individual CRAZY enough to possibly save it from themselves. In fact, he may very well be the unknown factor in Seele's plan in Instrumentality.

But what's even better about this fic is the dynamic that the Doctor has with all the characters, and I'm especially glad that philopoemen chose specifically the 10th Doctor for this fic, cause he's probably the best choice to feel compassionate to Shinji's plight, and the conversations he has with his past selves (via mental link) is both hilarious and insightful to the Doctor's character. You've definitely have done your research philopoemen. :) Whether it's helping Shinji grow as a person, teaching Rei the value of living as her own entity, "trying" to teach Asuka humility but failing (sorry Bagheera), or his buddy cop banter that he has with Misato, which is hilarious to boot.

Overall, this fic is BRILLIANT (pun intended), and I can't wait to see it's resolution to the end. :thumbsup:
Last edited by KingXanaduu on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:46 pm

You had me at "10th Doctor" :devil:

Link?
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

philopoemen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby philopoemen » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:54 pm

View Original Postmechashiva wrote:Link?

It's mirrored on three different sites at the moment. Take your pick:

Fanfiction.net

Teaspoon and An Open Mind

Wattpad Book One
... do I really have to put something in here? Well, all right.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Sorry about that. :lol:

I did put in a link into the OP though for all of you though. :)

Still, I'm glad that the 10th Doctor was chosen as the key Doctor in this fic, cause I have a feeling that the other Doctors (aside from probably the 5th) wouldn't be so involved with Shinji's plight, especially the 12th at the moment.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

philopoemen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby philopoemen » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:25 pm

Sorry about that. I did put in a link into the OP though for all of you though.

No worries. Yeah, I saw that. More just posted the links in case anyone else missed it.

Still, I'm glad that the 10th Doctor was chosen as the key Doctor in this fic, cause I have a feeling that the other Doctors (aside from probably the 5th) wouldn't be so involved with Shinji's plight, especially the 12th at the moment.

I think Eleven would have. Nine probably would have thought about it, at least. Seven, too.

Twelve, though... yeah, I'm honestly not quite sure what I think about the guy. He seems to have taken the "cranky old bastard" thing up to eleven.

trying" to teach Asuka humility but failing (sorry Bagheera)

Not to sidetrack the thread here, but I'm curious... has anyone actually managed to pull that off and make it feel believable for the character?

Speaking of which -- how am I doing in terms of my take on Rei and Asuka? Someone on Wattpad recently mentioned he thought my version of Rei talked too much, for instance.

Bhorium
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bhorium » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:26 am

View Original Postphilopoemen wrote:Seven, too.

I think that would depend at which point Seven was in his character development. Older Seven would have figured out how important Shinji actually is to everyone's plans very early on, and started using him as a pawn too... with the best of intentions of course.

philopoemen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby philopoemen » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:21 pm

View Original PostBhorium wrote:Older Seven would have figured out how important Shinji actually is to everyone's plans very early on, and started using him as a pawn too... with the best of intentions of course.

Exactly. Though, really, who's to say that Ten isn't doing the same at this point?

Anyway - that said, I'm not sure how many of the other Doctors would've gotten as deeply involved in matters here as Ten has in the story. I'm fairly certain that he could've had the TARDIS repaired by now if he wanted. And he probably would have, too... if there wasn't a whole lot back in his home universe he's avoiding right now.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:49 pm

View Original Postphilopoemen wrote:Exactly. Though, really, who's to say that Ten isn't doing the same at this point?
Even so, Ten is a LOT different from seven in that he has very strict morals and he's doing this out of the kindness of his hearts. Plus, considering what happened to him at the incident of Mars, I doubt he would want to take that route that Seven would take.

Anyway - that said, I'm not sure how many of the other Doctors would've gotten as deeply involved in matters here as Ten has in the story. I'm fairly certain that he could've had the TARDIS repaired by now if he wanted. And he probably would have, too... if there wasn't a whole lot back in his home universe he's avoiding right now.
It's a pity though that they're following him through to this world. Looks like he wrong that you can't always run away. Ironic, no?

And in regards to your characterization of Rei and Asuka, I can see where people would say that Rei talks too much in this fic, but she's conversing with the Doctor, who talks at like a million words per minute, so it would make sense that she would emulate this pattern to keep up with him. That, and he did give her a jelly baby. ^_^

Now, as for Asuka this point, I'll admit she is a bit more aggressive this time, but there is a reason for that especially for Shinji. Remember, she wants to prove to others that she is an adult and superior so she has a reason to exist. Then, she comes along and finds not only Misato, but the DOCTOR, an amazing individual (which she won't admit of course I'll bet), doting Shinji and risking their lives for him, when she feels it's HER they should be praising for being better. So, it would make sense she would amp up her game, especially when the Doctor can pierce her defense in a matter of seconds. ^_^ [/quote]

Bhorium
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bhorium » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:41 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Even so, Ten is a LOT different from seven in that he has very strict morals and he's doing this out of the kindness of his hearts. Plus, considering what happened to him at the incident of Mars, I doubt he would want to take that route that Seven would take.

Yeah, what ultimately defines Seven compared to the other Doctors is that he can be pretty damn cold in his pursuit of the Greater Good.

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:29 pm

Wow that fic is awesome :D
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia
Discussion thread: thread/17927/Deus-est-Nadia/?f=28

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:33 pm

SPOILER: Show

I SWEAR philopoemen, you are such a troll/tease when it comes to these fics. :lol: I have no idea what to expect what's gonna come out of your head onto this fic.

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Sun May 17, 2015 1:38 am

Wen will the next chapter be ready?
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:42 pm

After a long hiatus, it's good to hear that Shinji and the Doctor has updated once again. :thumbsup:

Hope you're doing okay philopoemen. We've been kind of wondering where you've gone.

philopoemen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby philopoemen » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:19 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Hope you're doing okay philopoemen. We've been kind of wondering where you've gone.

Yeah. Sorry. Another year, another death in the family. Also been trying to work on some original (non-fanfiction) writing.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:45 pm

Sorry to hear about the death! Good to see you back to work. Also, good luck on the original fiction!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:47 pm

My sincerest condolences to you and your family. :(

I hope that you're doing okay now and with you original work. :)

philopoemen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby philopoemen » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:33 am

Last edited by philopoemen on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:02 am

Gragh that last line in the latest chapter. You know how to leave things on a cliffhanger don't you!

TraxXavier
Lilith

Re: Shinji and the Doctor

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:01 am

when is the next chapter coming?

philopoemen
Embryo

Re: Shinji and the Doctor

•      
  •      

Postby philopoemen » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:34 pm

Merry belated Christmas and Happy End of Evangelion Day! I got you... umm... a story about horrific child abuse.

Two new chapters up on FF.net. Curious to see if anyone gets the trick to Part VI.

Return to “Fanfiction”