The Empire Strikes back, Sony releases The Interview online

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

The Empire Strikes back, Sony releases The Interview online

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Think it deserves a seperate thread since the other one is basically turning into a discussion about cyper-terrorism, North Korea, USA etc.

From the link

On Wednesday morning, Sony issued a statement saying The Interview will be available for rental on Google Play, YouTube Movies, Microsoft’s Xbox Video, and Sony’s dedicated website www.seetheinterview.com, starting at 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET on Dec. 24. On Sony’s site, The Interview will be $5.99 for rent and $14.99 for HD purchase.
“It has always been Sony’s intention to have a national platform on which to release this film,” Michael Lynton, chairman and CEO of Sony Entertainment ,said in a statement obtained by BuzzFeed News. “With that in mind, we reached out to Google, Microsoft, and other partners last Wednesday, December 17, when it became clear our initial release plans were not possible. We are pleased we can now join with our partners to offer the film nation-wide today.”

Full article here:
[url]http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyorley/heres-where-you-can-see-the-interview-in-theaters?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgp#.pmkKV0YnX[/url]

We can keep this thread also for plot discussion, impressions, death? of Kim Jong etc.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Can I buy it on PSN?

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:24 pm

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:40 pm

It's now playing in a theater fairly close to where I live, so I have the option of doing either. VERY glad to see this turnaround.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:35 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Can I buy it on PSN?

Soon.

[url]http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/24/7447895/the-interview-sony-psn-playstation-store[/url]
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:17 pm

I think I'll probably opt to see it in theaters over digital distribution, since I have the option to-- but this is great for people that don't have theaters willing to screen it near them.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:33 am

Good News Everyone

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Now I can not watch it for free!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:41 pm

Does anyone still care at this point? Consensus seemed to be that it was a pretty forgettable gross-out comedy whose only notable characteristic were the circumstances of its release. And that's not a big deal anymore either, now that people think it was an insider hack or something.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Don't mean to revive a dead post, but heres a video where south koreans are asked their opinions on the Interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgu3LdikLV0

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:32 am

Sorry for again reviving a dead topic as well, but figured that this critique from a rather informed and connected ("Without getting too much into my personal life, I have close ties with people deeply involved in North Korea. I've befriended DPRK defectors and people who have dedicated their lives to dismantling the Kim regime.") Asian-American on both the particular topic of the circumstances behind "The Interview"'s release and the wider problem of deliberate ridiculousness on NK's part as a PR tactic.

[url]http://np.reddit.com/r/asianamerican/comments/2q4ofq/sony_the_interview_whats_your_take/cn2x3j7?c[/url]

SPOILER: Show
What makes me angry is that by mocking North Korea, the mockers are reinforcing the DPRK's state propaganda. If you think the North Korean government is stupid or you see them as toothless cartoon villains, then you've already been indoctrinated by them. Hook, line, and sinker. Without getting too much into my personal life, I have close ties with people deeply involved in North Korea. I've befriended DPRK defectors and people who have dedicated their lives to dismantling the Kim regime.

(...)

There is so much information out there about how horrible and dangerous North Korea is but the international community doesn't receive pressure from their constituents to do anything about it because everyone views North Korea as a joke. That is a very intentional, calculated move by the DPRK government. They are fully aware of how ridiculous and empty their threats sound. Those statements are nothing but propaganda fed to the West.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:26 am

^

I don't know if we should trust something a guy wrote in reddit but in terms of manpower, war guns, airforce, technology etc. North Korea can't pose a threat.

Have you noticed in TV when Kim is about to talk for something, all the crowd of soldiers below him? Yeah probably that's all the manpower he has.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:34 am

I can't remember why this came up in a business ethics class (Professor was a weirdo hippie, the "I used to be rich and now I ~teach~" type of business professor) but anyway, it is apparently not an uncommon punishment for women in NK reeuducation camps to be executed by impalement with a shovel. That is, they stick the point of a shovel in the woman's genitals and push until she dies.

Whether or not they pose a credible military threat to anyone isn't the matter at hand.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:10 am

Ugh... this is awful and disgusting. But i am not surprised. Around 2 years ago i was watching the news and they mentioned that Kim Jong throw one of his uncles in a pit with dogs (that haven't eaten for months) and he was eaten alive....

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:40 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I can't remember why this came up in a business ethics class (Professor was a weirdo hippie, the "I used to be rich and now I ~teach~" type of business professor) but anyway, it is apparently not an uncommon punishment for women in NK reeuducation camps to be executed by impalement with a shovel. That is, they stick the point of a shovel in the woman's genitals and push until she dies.

Whether or not they pose a credible military threat to anyone isn't the matter at hand.

Yeah. That was a sobering read. The petition's wrong-headed (we can't just invade the place), but he's right that something needs to be done. And I don't think I'm gonna be laughing at the memes anymore.

View Original PostDima wrote:Ugh... this is awful and disgusting. But i am not surprised. Around 2 years ago i was watching the news and they mentioned that Kim Jong throw one of his uncles in a pit with dogs (that haven't eaten for months) and he was eaten alive....

That was discredited. But for this regime it's not beyond the pale, and that's pretty damn scary.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:07 am

Ordinarily I would be first in line to mock North Korea:

Mel Brooks wrote:Yes, absolutely. Of course it is impossible to take revenge for 6 million murdered Jews. But by using the medium of comedy, we can try to rob Hitler of his posthumous power and myths.

In this case NK is using the humor to their advantage, so it's better to stop it.

I haven't seen The Interview and I don't plan to. NK succeeded in a powerful act of sorcery through its actions against the film. I will not lend my power to it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:50 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That was discredited. But for this regime it's not beyond the pale, and that's pretty damn scary.

Oh, i didn't know it discredited, thanks for mentioning it.

Still the thing with the shovel sounds pretty sick. Who knows what else they are doing.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:52 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Still the thing with the shovel sounds pretty sick. Who knows what else they are doing.

As with any such system the guards and everyone up the chain are dehumanized by the process of dehumanizing others. They will do anything that one might do to an insect because they no longer see the value of human life, of others or their own.
the prophecy is true

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:11 pm

While I am a staunch proponent of the view that "laughter is the best weapon to defeat tyrants" you still need to take oppressive regimes seriously as a threat because if you make fun of them too much they'll surprise you when they demonstrate that while they may be an idiot state, they are not altogether incompetent.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Return to “Film and Video”