R.I.P The Colbert Report

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

R.I.P The Colbert Report

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:01 am

At the end of tonight's episode of The Colbert Report, Colbert realized that he doesn't need to stay in character to be accepted, because even if other people don't like who he really is, he can always learn to love himself. Then all of the show's the most well-known guest stars, including President Barack Obama, came out and congratulated Stephen on his realization.

He will continue his career as a talk show host, but on CBS.. as himself.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:38 am

Is that what actually happened at the end of the show, rather than some kind of metaphorical description? As opposed to Stephen the character getting reaped by the reaper or something like that?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:40 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Is that what actually happened at the end of the show, rather than some kind of metaphorical description? As opposed to Stephen the character getting reaped by the reaper or something like that?

Nah. Actually, Steven killed the reaper, became immortal, then joined Santa Claus and Abraham Lincoln in the sky.

I like my idea better, though.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:29 pm

I heard great things about the finale. I don't keep up with TV much these days, I didn't even know the show was ending (makes sense why I haven't seen any @StephenAtHome tweets lately--Guess I've kept missing them as they're posted).

So his new show on CBS, he won't be Stephen the character? I'm interested either way... Though again, don't watch much TV compared to when I was younger.

I still remember watching that live political special he, Jon Stewart, and lots of guests did. The name escapes me, but it was back in...2008, I guess? Was hilarious and informative stuff.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:49 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I still remember watching that live political special he, Jon Stewart, and lots of guests did. The name escapes me, but it was back in...2008, I guess? Was hilarious and informative stuff.

The Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:20 pm

I haven't watched TV in ages either, and ultimately fell out of watching either Jon or Stephen, which I think is great because it means I won't miss Stephen as much. But I'll still miss him; there's a definite comfort factor just to knowing that something I've enjoyed is still ongoing and doing well for itself. But that's even more reason not to be sad: Stephen's moving on to bigger and better things. Well, bigger at least, but he's going to have to push really hard to make the Late Show format anywhere near as interesting to me as the Colbert Report was.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Film and Video”