(Thematically) Similar to Eva

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

(Thematically) Similar to Eva

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:35 pm

Can you guys think of any works of fiction that handle depression as well as or in a similar way to Eva?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:43 pm

True Detective.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:02 am

Lars von Trier's Melancholia is all about depression. And it's one of those super-European art films. Fun stuff.

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:09 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:True Detective.
I keep hearing this comparison and that its really good. Can't wait to check it out
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:15 pm

I wasn't sure if I wanted to mention this in the OP, but here it is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45a1NTArG-g

Bojack Horseman becomes Eva-esque towards the end. I honestly don't know if that's going to carry on into the next season. I mean, it'll definitely be a very different show, but I don't know if I'll still get Eva vibes.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:24 am

The most similar stuff to Eva is Anno's other stuff, particularly Shiki Jitsu and his episode of Re: Cutie Honey.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:01 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:True Detective.

gentlemen you had my curiosity now you have my attention.gif

meaning time to check it out.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:33 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:The most similar stuff to Eva is Anno's other stuff, particularly Shiki Jitsu and his episode of Re: Cutie Honey.

The aspects of Eva that I find the most fascinating are the aspects I can relate to, and I doubt that Anno is the only one who wants to put those aspects on screen/paper/wood.

I s'pose this isn't my thread, though. I mean, it doesn't have to exclusively be mine.

Caliburn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caliburn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:32 am

I can't think of a work of fiction that is quite like Eva in its treatment of depression. But here's a couple works that come to mind as at least being in a similar ballpark.

Season Six of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I know the title and premise of this show sound silly, but it is actually quite good at character drama once the show finds its voice -- which I would say is somewhere around Lie to Me, episode seven of season two.

Over the course of season six, Buffy struggles with and overcomes a debilitating depression. If you identified with that shot in End of Evangelion during the attack on Nerv where Shinji is sitting limply on the floor and Misato is pulling on his arm to try to get him to stand up, that is basically what Buffy goes through in Season Six. It's a feeling of debilitation where the world is collapsing and Shinji and Buffy are numbed and can't bring themselves to care. You'd have to watch a lot of the show to get to this point, though, since Buffy (both the show and the character) is much less dark in earlier seasons. So your willingness to work your way toward this part of the show would depend on how interesting the rest of the show is to you, but I found the whole show to be worth it.

Ender's Game and, to a lesser extent, Speaker for the Dead

When I first saw Neon Genesis Evangelion, Shinji's struggles reminded me (besides of myself) of Ender Wiggin in the book Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Ender isn't debilitated or numbed the way Shinji is, so he may not seem depressed per se, but both strike me as:
* sensitive, gifted children
* fundamentally gentle but repressing a lot of anger
* burdened with huge responsibility in a war effort
* desirous of the approval of adults while also not really trusting them
* full of shame and self-loathing

There is also a sequel Speaker for the Dead that involves Ender as an adult. If you enjoyed Ender's Game primarily for its battle school setting, you may not like Speaker because it's totally different (a mystery/drama with zero action, set on an alien world). But if you enjoyed Ender's Game for its lead character (which I would think someone who empathizes with Shinji would), then Speaker is also a great, Hugo- and Nebula-award-winning book in its own right that, amongst other things, shows Ender starting to come to peace with himself. The series continues in Xenocide and Children of the Mind, but those are optional.

In Anno's statement about Eva, What were we trying to make here?, he talks about how "Both [Shinji and Misato] are unsuitable--lacking the positive attitude--for what people call heroes of an adventure. But in any case, they are the heroes of this story." Both Buffy Season Six and Ender's Game have a similar blend of a "save the world"-type story, but with a hero character who has a lot of personal psychological pain and dysfunction that makes him or her an unconventional hero for that kind of story. And to some extent the "save the world" scenario in all these stories is used as just a framework through which to wrestle with the character's personal issues.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:43 pm

If you want genre deconstruction and dealing with characters' inner psyches, the quintessential Western equivalent is probably Watchmen.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:00 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:If you want genre deconstruction and dealing with characters' inner psyches, the quintessential Western equivalent is probably Watchmen.

THIS
Alan more sure slap Anno in his face for make Rebuild Series.

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”