Gender as Text Field vs Radio Button

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Gender as Text Field vs Radio Button

Postby Stryker » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:16 pm

[Split from avatar thread. Gets more serious later. - Monk]

I don't know if this belongs here, but we should be able to type our genders, just so that we can proudly have a Chuckman Level Chuckman who is a Chuckman situated at Chuckman.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:18 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I don't know if this belongs here, but we should be able to type our genders, just so that we can proudly have a Chuckman Level Chuckman who is a Chuckman situated at Chuckman.

For what purpose.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Chuckman is quite obviously male, and nothing else, though.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:24 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:For what purpose.

For people whose gender is non-standard. I have done exactly this at the QuestionableContent forums, where I've removed the binary "gender" option and added a free-text "personal information" field in its place.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:30 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:For people whose gender is non-standard.

I suppose so. But it seems like a nonissue as someone is usually male or female.
Last edited by Tankred on Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:30 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:For what purpose.

View Original PostStryker wrote:just so that we can proudly have a Chuckman Level Chuckman who is a Chuckman situated at Chuckman.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:30 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:I suppose so. But it seems like a nonissue as someone is usually male or female.

So it's usually a non-issue - except when it isn't.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:34 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:So it's usually a non-issue - except when it isn't.

I don't personally think there's a go between except in exceedingly rare cases.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:51 pm

what if "Chuckman" was a gender option?
The Moats of Quotes

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:52 pm

Chuckman is the only gender option.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:44 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:I don't personally think there's a go between except in exceedingly rare cases.

In the case of QC, considering some things brought up in the comic, it seems like a perfectly reasonable option to have.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Eh intersex is like the minority of the minority, trans people will usually just pick the gender they identify with online (my friend does it everywhere but she is the only person i have experience to draw from) so it really isn't too big of an issue unless somebody joins and starts complaining about a lack of an [other] option, though just for shits and giggles it would be a funny feature.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:34 pm

People already put all sorts of things in their location and occupation options, so I see no reason not to do the same for gender. For some it'd be for a laugh, and for others it may be more comfortable for them to put something other than male or female; then for others they simply wouldn't care.

I don't see a con, myself.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:42 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Eh intersex is like the minority of the minority, trans people will usually just pick the gender they identify with online (my friend does it everywhere but she is the only person i have experience to draw from) so it really isn't too big of an issue unless somebody joins and starts complaining about a lack of an [other] option, though just for shits and giggles it would be a funny feature.

And given that there is no difficulty in providing flexibility, what is your argument for not doing so, and thereby preventing those (few) people who would benefit from it being able to?

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Never gave one, just pointing out its not necessary......but it would be nice.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:55 pm

But to some it is. That's the point, and the one Mr. Hodges was making.

Not necessary for 99.06% of people is not the same as not necessary.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:09 pm

:rei_meh: i think people are misunderstanding me here, I'm not opposed to the idea and saying it is not necessary does not mean much as technically we don't need avatars as they are not necessary, hell why even have a theme that isn't necessary.

That is all fluff to make the site more appealing but we still have it because we want that stuff, my posts here were pretty much a response to the previous shitstorm about the topic as in: everyone should chill, no need to get up in arms about it, harmless feature that doesn't matter and only adds.

The minority of the minority thing though? that was just me playing the devil's advocate.

Yes i waited till the thread was made just to post this, i have no life.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:14 pm

The code for the gender stuff wasn't mine, was lifted as one of those phpbb hacks, and like anything involving the profile, spans pretty much throughout the entire system including the admin pages. While changing what it displays given the BIT that is stored in the database (1, 0, or NULL), is easy enough, but changing the system so that you can arbitrarily enter anything for that field (right now it's just a BIT) isn't a trivial change, and so far, I'm not convinced I should make time to put in that work.
Last edited by Ornette on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:18 pm

Fair enough; The QC forum software has the facility to turn off any fields in the profile, and to add newly defined ones, so I could do it without programming (unless I want to display the new field next to posts). I didn't have to change the gender field, because I replaced it.

As a matter of interest, we considered (and rejected) having no means to specify gender at all.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:23 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Yes i waited till the thread was made just to post this, i had something to say.
No shame in that.

Ornette: it sounds like a lot of work, and any attempt to accommodate others at your own expense is certainly admirable. If you should decide against it, I think that would be fair enough.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”