Street Fighter 5 announced for PS4 and PC

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:50 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:First gameplay footage. At 0:57 you see The movement is slow like IV, the HUD is simply hideous and Tekken-esque, and the stage interaction went from a seemingly pointless implementation to absurd. Chun-Li fights an entire round with a bowl of noodles stuck to her head. The game seems desperate to do something new, and couldn't do it in ways that effect gameplay.

Guess I shouldn't have expected anything more, and considering Tekken 7 looks like utter crap too - I can't foresee playing any new fighters any time soon. I'll keep to 3S and TT2, which is all I need to be honest (both I'll maintain as the high watermarks of their respective franchises).

:um:

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:20 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:meanwhile as when it comes to fighting games the most i will usually play is smash bros and the odd tekken (sf x tekken was what made me try out SFIV) i just look at this and go: looks fun, while everyone else complains.

What can I say? People like making fun of stuff they like.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:28 pm

Fun rarely equates to a good fighting game. Practicing combos like these[s]---[/s]just look at the speed this game is capable of compared to other fighting games[s]---[/s]aren't fun, and consistently pulling them off in a match against capable players is even less so. Learning frame data and frame advantages isn't a fun pass time, and nor is spending months getting beaten by people who already have all this knowledge you don't. It's actually very stressful. But the level of satisfaction when you find yourself capable is worth it all; and it only gets better when you find yourself against someone who beats you twenty times or so in a row, then get to a level you almost know each other inside out.

I'm not disappointed because I never had any expectation, but I'm hoping another game does eventually come around that is worth learning.

Blue Monday: who do you main on Third Strike, and what do you play it on?
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:36 pm

I understand that, though as im not really a PvP person i do not have much to compare it to.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:47 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Blue Monday: who do you main on Third Strike, and what do you play it on?

Alex and Ryu mostly. I play on PC/emulator; MAME and Supercade.

You should get Supercade so we can have a game or two.

;)

Edit: Err, scratch that - just found out that Supercade is no longer running. Fuck.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:54 pm

I've only played it on console and have no experience with emulated games.

I've heard of GGPO, but everyone I spoke to about it says how shockingly bad the connection usually is, and I'm not even sure if it's still running either.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:32 am

I could never get GGPO to work which is why I used Supercade. Bummer.

I have Online Edition for PS3 as well but I don't like how some of the speed and arcade feeling was lost in the port. Small quibbles, I know.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:00 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I don't like how some of the speed and arcade feeling was lost in the port. Small quibbles, I know.
Understandable quibbles though. It's just nice being able to play online when you don't know anyone else who's interested.

I don't have a Playstation 3, but it would have been nice play some. At one point on the 360 there was a few well known players dominating lobbies, and constant ranked matches, but last year it just sort of died. I guess the community has all reverted back to the arcades somewhere in Japan.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:40 pm

Whenever I'm in Japan I make a point of going to Taito Hey in Akiba to play some 3S, but much to my shame I always end up regretting it. I'm just not used to the proper stick set-up and the players (unassuming salaryman types) are ridiculously good.

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:25 am

Probably going to wait for the next variation to come out in a year or so. Unlike the jump from 3rd Strike to 4, there isn't anything amazing about this transition that's selling it for me yet.

Frankly, I would have been happier having skipped Vanilla and Super IV in favour of Arcade Edition and Ultra, since those later editions were a heck of a lot more fun in my opinion.

Guess I'll have to see what new characters they add in, or what kind of tech they give Bison or Akuma.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-9abLlPmp0

New trailer is out. Birdie who hasn't been in a SF game in a LOOOOONG time is making a comeback.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:54 pm

anyone seen the character select screens? they went way overboard on the boob jiggle, it reaches high-school of the dead levels.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:02 pm

(Points to Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat, Fatal Fury's Mai Shiranui, Senran Kagura and the hundreds of other examples of Jiggle Physics and fanservice in fighting games)

I just hope they give you an option to turn off or tone down the jiggle like in DOA.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:04 pm

I don't mind boob jiggle, they have it in FFXIV and im cool with it but sometimes it goes too far and it becomes super unrealistic and distracting.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:03 am

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Fun rarely equates to a good fighting game. Practicing combos like these[s]---[/s]just look at the speed this game is capable of compared to other fighting games[s]---[/s]aren't fun, and consistently pulling them off in a match against capable players is even less so. Learning frame data and frame advantages isn't a fun pass time, and nor is spending months getting beaten by people who already have all this knowledge you don't. It's actually very stressful. But the level of satisfaction when you find yourself capable is worth it all; and it only gets better when you find yourself against someone who beats you twenty times or so in a row, then get to a level you almost know each other inside out.

I'm not disappointed because I never had any expectation, but I'm hoping another game does eventually come around that is worth learning.

Blue Monday: who do you main on Third Strike, and what do you play it on?

If your game is not fun it is pretty much by definition a shit game, unless you subscribe to either the "NO FUN ALLOWED NO ITEMS FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION" or "GAMES ARE ART AND SHOULD BE DEEEEEEEEEP" schools of thought of course. In which case you need to stay as far away from games as possible.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:28 pm

Fun is just a buzzword, though.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:54 pm

SF5 has just validated itself; apparently Alex and Urien are going to be in the roster.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:12 pm

So is it just me or is ken slowly turning into dio?

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:20 pm

The real question is how long i have to wait for the last special edition to be released so i can just buy that.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Karin and R. Mika are trademarked to different people/companies, and that is why Capcom haven't brought them back.

What's that you said about Rainbow Mika?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmtuBLu9BRQ

Her finishing move, is crushing her opponent underneath her ass. Hoo boy, the Tumblrina's are gonna be maaaaad.

Maybe this means we'll get Karin or a few other of the old cast back as DLC down the road.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”