Street Fighter 5 announced for PS4 and PC

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:21 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Stillborn: then, I can only apologise.

What for? :huh:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:26 pm

World tour mode... lol. I still have an alpha 3 save file with a maxed out ShinAkuma with the attack/defense rating all the way into the red that is just plain ridiculous in his glass-cannon-ness. Basically every round with him is over in seconds and you either get a perfect or you lose.
Last edited by NemZ on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:27 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:5. Take risks. Don't be afraid to kill off a marketable character to show the bad guy means business!

I can't think of a single time sacrificing a marketable character to "show the bad guy means business" ever actually worked, and if you need the death of a marketable character to show that a bad guy "means business" you really, really don't know how to write. Character death isn't fitting for Street Fighter's style anyway -- it's a fighting game, not an epic, narrative-driven RPG.
Last edited by Monk Ed on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:36 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:What for?
Everything.

NemZ wrote:I still have a save file with a maxed out ShinAkuma with the attack/defense rating all the way into the red that is just plain ridiculous in his glass-cannon-ness. Basically every round with him is over in seconds and you either get a perfect or you lose.
I hadn't realised that was possible, but then I only played it very briefly when I was about eight, or so.

Monk Ed wrote:This is a terrible idea, and deserves to go into a handbook of how to kill a franchise. Character death isn't fitting for Street Fighter's style anyway -- it's a fighting game, not an epic, narrative-driven RPG.
I do agree, really, but having Gouken not be dead but rather having been in a coma... even for a game that makes no attempt at good writing, it was poor.

I actually think Ryu should be the final boss in arcade mode, actually. While we're on the subject of righting. If it can be called such a thing...
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:23 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I can't think of a single time sacrificing a marketable character to "show the bad guy means business" ever actually worked, and if you need the death of a marketable character to show that a bad guy "means business" you really, really don't know how to write.

Frankly, i can't think of a single time this happened in a videogame and there is 1% chance it will happen in a Street Fighter game.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:28 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I can't think of a single time sacrificing a marketable character to "show the bad guy means business" ever actually worked, and if you need the death of a marketable character to show that a bad guy "means business" you really, really don't know how to write. Character death isn't fitting for Street Fighter's style anyway -- it's a fighting game, not an epic, narrative-driven RPG.

The story mode in Mortal Kombat 9 wasn't afraid to kill off 90% of their cast in the name of upping the stakes and moving the franchise forward. Heck in the upcoming X they've actually replaced most of the old cast with new characters, the only exceptions so far being Quan Chi, Scorpion, and Raiden. Fans have to say goodbye to all the old characters, but on the other hand it gives us a chance to see new characters with new abilities and combat options.

I'm not asking street fighter to start being like MK, I'm just asking for Capcom to learn from the competition. I love SF, and I don't want it to fall into the "same game, new wrapper" derivative niche a lot of other franchises find themselves in. Which is the biggest complaint a lot of fans of long running franchises have.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:42 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I'm not asking street fighter to start being like MK, I'm just asking for Capcom to learn from the competition. I love SF, and I don't want it to fall into the "same game, new wrapper" derivative niche a lot of other franchises find themselves in. Which is the biggest complaint a lot of fans of long running franchises have.
I'd say it's already in that "derivative niche".

The time they tried to move away from the old cast (New Generation) the games were considered a flop for years to come and all of the casual fan-base ran screaming. They've just got that back with the SFIV series; I hope they do it again (for many reasons) but I highly doubt they will. Also, they've killed off characters before - or rather, added in a character that is canonically dead as of Street Fighter II.

Nash. Charlie Nash.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Mortal Kombat is a different game in terms of concept if you compare it to Street Fighter. I don't think Street Fighter would benefit if the developers started killing main characters left and right.

Also regarding the characters in MK10 let's wait for the final game to see who really is ''dead''.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:11 pm

SNK managed to pull off taking characters out and then putting them back in in later installments, though that's because they managed to make so many popular characters for the fans.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Today Sony had an event called Playstation Experience and more info about the future of the Street Fighter franchise was revealed.

1. Capcom announced Ultra Street Fighter IV for PS4 coming this spring. The game will debut exclusive on PS4 so this probably means that an Xbone version is being planned too and will get released in a later date.

2. About Street Fighter V. Capcom said that Sony is helping with the development of the game, meaning Sony and Capcom actually are co-developing the game and that PS4 will be the only console Street Fighter V will appear on. (Don't ask me if this means no Ultra Street Fighter V for Xbone. If Capcom will make such a game it's probably 2+ years away after the release of V. And it will use 90% of the assets of the original V, so i don't know if Sony will allow to use the assets they worked on)

3. PS4 version will be cross play compatible with the PC version (that's awesome)

Seriously this is a big win for Sony because they get almost the whole fighting community. I also updated the OP.

More here

[url]http://gematsu.com/2014/12/street-fighter-v-announced-ps4-pc[/url]

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:10 pm

It does seem to be a big win for Sony. If they're co-developing V then I now very much doubt we'll see later iterations go multi-platform.

I wonder how many consoles V can shift alone.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTP3c2eV0zU

Angry Joe rants about SFV being a PS4 exclusive.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:00 pm

Angryjoe was also a complete xbox fanboy last gen so when it comes to stuff like this i pay no mind, love his reviews and his sense of humor but when he rages, his points all become null.
Also he acts like xbox one is solely american (as in all of america owns one) and ps4 is Japan, which is really, really dumb
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:44 pm

This reminds me of how Blazblue Chronophantasma only came to PS3 while the previous games came to both 360 and PS3. :hahaha:

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:50 pm

Ok so i didn't like that video but joe did not deserve this:

Crapcom you are already doing bad are you TRYING to lose your company?
High chance monster hunter 4 will be last monster hunter with the way crapcom is going, and im strangely ok with that, i love the series and im glad its going out strong
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Not defending it. But Nintendo does the exact same thing, and they don't get half the hate Capcom does.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:02 pm

I do actually tweet about it when nintendo does it too, it just crapcom got that name because this is not the only kind of fuckup they do (there are a LOT of other problems with them), whereas nintendo are pretty spot on right now.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:17 am

Well seeing how much I hate SFIV in all its iterations, they can only go up from there. The least they can do is give me Alex.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:17 pm

I agree with how poor SFIV is, though only because of what preceded it really. Not so bad on its own merit.

I disagree it can only go up, I fully expect it to be even worse; more fluff and more casual friendly.

First gameplay footage. At 0:57 you see a guard break. I called it. It was obvious they would have revived an earlier mechanic, and parries are too controversial for not being casual friendly (too hard).

The art style looks like Tekken and Marvel vs Capcom 3 blended together - complete with some Tekken stage interaction. The (hideous) ink smudge is connected to EX moves, evidenced by Ryu's Tatsu, and his new EX Shoryuken is a homage to his Shin Shoryuken SAII/Ultra. At least the Focus system looks to be gone...

Oh, and Chun-Li looks to be juggling as though it were a Marvel game, too.

Boo.

People actually playing Street Fighter V.

Revenge meter returns, some weird EX meter that when full seems to give Ryu a single double hit hadouken that seems to cause the guard break, which he can lose if hit by an opponent, and Chun-Li can perform multiple kikokens without losing it[s]---[/s]though how many is unsure[s]---[/s]and perform more damaging attacks. She doesn't lose it when hit. Oh, and Ryu has some kind of focus punch which seems to have no start up.

The movement is slow like IV, the HUD is simply hideous and Tekken-esque, and the stage interaction went from a seemingly pointless implementation to absurd. Chun-Li fights an entire round with a bowl of noodles stuck to her head. The game seems desperate to do something new, and couldn't do it in ways that effect gameplay.

Nothing lost, though.
Sorrow saw the future and wrote:I fully expect it to be even worse; more fluff
Check.
and wrote:and more casual friendly.
Check.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:32 pm

meanwhile as when it comes to fighting games the most i will usually play is smash bros and the odd tekken (sf x tekken was what made me try out SFIV) i just look at this and go: looks fun, while everyone else complains.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”