The James Bond Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

The James Bond Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:16 pm

So, the new Bond movie's title was just announced for those like me that are interested in such things:

[url]http://deadline.com/2014/12/bond-24-title-1201308576/[/url]

Personally, I'm very excited that they're gonna revisit one of the most popular element of the earlier Bond movies and revamp it for the modern age, which is all the more fitting with the global emergence of terrorist organizations like ISIS, Al-Qaeda, and the like in the past decade or so. Plus, since this element of the franchise hasn't been used since 1981 in the official franchise, the timing is right for them to bring it back.

Plus, Christoph Waltz is cast as Oberhauser AKA "Definitely-not-Ernst-Stavro-Blofeld". Plus a bunch of other interesting casting choices that should make this an interesting watch.

Additionally, they're getting the DP from Interstellar, Hoyty Hoyt, so it should be another gorgeously photographed film.

Oh, and here's the new Aston Martin DB10 that's gonna be his new ride:

[url]http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20141204-revealed-aston-martins-new-bond-car[/url]
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:23 pm

SPECTRE

THAT NAME IS ENOUGH HOOOOLY SHIIIIIIIT

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Christoph Waltz as the baddie. Sold!

Lea Seydoux as a Bond babe! Another ticket sold!

Shot on film! A third ticket sold!

Daniel Craig shirtless! A fourth ticket sold!

Soooooo presumably I'm gonna see Spectre four times in theaters.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:41 pm

Probably going to be good movie that I can't enjoy because of Craig.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:35 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Probably going to be good movie that I can't enjoy because of Craig.

Oh.....

You seriously don't like his Bond?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:58 pm

The guy has the charisma of a concrete block. There is nothing of the suave Britishness that I link with the role. Craig is not Bond, he is a generic action hero in the lead of some Bond movies.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Craig is probably the closest to Fleming's vision of the character.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:33 pm

That would be Dalton.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:45 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:That would be Dalton.

Dalton is proto-Craig, their performances are very similar to each other. Moreso than any other two Bond actors. Bond is described in the books as a "blunt instrument," a hardened, yet cultured assassin. Craig falls more on the "hardened" side and Dalton falls more on the "cultured" side. Different aspect of the same kind of performance.

And Craig has cried as Bond more than any other bond actor, so I dispute that his performance is completely wooden, there's depth there, but only after he's been put through a hellish wringer, which is what to expect of a hardened spy.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:52 pm

Everyone can cry, doesn't mean it's convincing.

Dalton is the only one who found the perfect balance. He could be relentless and cold, but he also lived by a moral code, was vulnerable and could deliver some excellent smugness.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:25 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Everyone can cry,

I know now why you cry, but it's something I can never do.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:10 am

Yeeeesssss

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: The James Bond Thread

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:21 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:[url]http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20141204-revealed-aston-martins-new-bond-car[/url]

You may be amused that we in the UK can't see this page, as it is made by the BBC's commercial overseas arm, not by the licence-fee funded domestic service!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:27 pm

I am fucking ecstatic. A modern take on Spectre and Christoph Waltz as the villain: take my money now.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:45 pm

How many virgins must I offer for Waltz to shave his head and wear a Neru jacket.
the prophecy is true

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:18 am

A new Bond film? With Christoph Waltz?
SPOILER: Show
[/spoiler]
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:11 pm

Found out that Richard Kiel died last year, my favorite Bond henchman. :sniffle: Had been wanting to get his autograph since he had been to some local cons but it was always $$$ issues.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Needs a cameo by Sean Connery. The once and forever Bond. That is all.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:32 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Needs a cameo by Sean Connery. The once and forever Bond. That is all.

I don't think that will, or should, happen for a few reasons:

First of all, that kind of cameo would be far too distracting for the film. Plus, it would bring that whole stupid codename theory nonsense into play for people to jack themselves off over for years to come. Also, I don't think Connery would be game. If he didn't want to come out of retirement for Spielberg, then why this? If any past Bond were to do a cameo, it'd be Moore or Dalton, since they've had the best outlook on their time with the franchise. Hell, Moore is pretty much the ambassador to the Bond series, seeing as how closely he remains linked with the franchise, always doing interviews, writing books, etc.

I'm pumped that there's finally gonna be another ski sequence in a Bond film after close to 15 years without one.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:31 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Needs a cameo by Sean Connery. The once and forever Bond. That is all.

He should be the villain in one of these movies.

Return to “Film and Video”