Black Friday AKA Capitalism Rules

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Black Friday AKA Capitalism Rules

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:45 pm

So, did anyone else partake in the dumb madness that was Black Friday this year?

I was able to pick up a bunch of Eddie Bauer shirts for my father, some cookware from Williams Sonoma for my mother and a military winter jacket from Uniqlo for my sister among other odds and ends for them.

I also rewarded myself with a new leather jacket from Lucky Brand that was 40% off...mainly because the one that I had is old and the zipper is broken.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:28 pm

Browsed at some online deals (seriously, on the Internet, everyday is Black Friday), but besides that, nope.

I've never actually participated in Black Friday because it sounds batshit insane. Still remember on Tuesday there was a couple with a little tent outside of Target, already camped out. :sweatdrop:

I guess I just don't see the point in people physically going out for the Black Friday shopping (all those reports of people getting trampled...Are people just so inconsiderate/materialist that common decency goes out the window?!), when you can do all your Christmas shopping online.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:40 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I guess I just don't see the point in people physically going out for the Black Friday shopping (all those reports of people getting trampled...Are people just so inconsiderate/materialist that common decency goes out the window?!), when you can do all your Christmas shopping online.

I'll admit that part of my willingness to go to the mall for Black Friday (and I always go with at least one friend) is just for the sheer audience factor of potentially seeing something like that happen,(kinda like watching a tiger trainer put his head in a tiger's mouth and anticipating him getting bit) but I'm always (kinda thankfully actually TBH) disappointed that those stereotypical tramplings never happen. If anything it's just like a busy Saturday afternoon at the mall, except that it's one A.M.

Maybe it's just that the area where I live is a little more civilized when it comes to this sort of thing. Who knows?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:44 pm

I'm not camping, but there are some specific items that I want that I can get off the internet with, like, $20 off. That's pretty good, I say.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:18 pm

I broke my pledge not to buy anything of any kind today by buying a bottle of Snapple. I am shamed.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:30 pm

Its england, nobody cares much here, its a little more chaotic than usual but not by much so no, not really.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:53 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Its england, nobody cares much here
Really?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Huh, Bradford must just be so shit that nothing is worth the hassle here then, cause i have actually never had that happen here, and i do go out on black fridays.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Usually I forget that Black Friday is that thing that happens the day after Thanksgiving. I'm not sure I've ever gone out shopping on it.

Most of my shopping around this time of year is (of course) Steam sales.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Crystal Wolf
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Crystal Wolf » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Thinking about going to Fry's on Monday and picking up a second GTX 980 and running them in SLI, but I'm not sure yet. Other than that, I generally don't partake in Black Friday or the craze surrounding it.
<esselfortium> tsundercats, ho
EGF's Herald of Khorne

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:41 pm

Update: Been needing a PS4 controller for myself for the past year. :sweatdrop: Found some deals online at Walmart & Target where it was $40 instead of the usual $60.

We headed over to our local ones, so I guess the Black Friday rush over here is from Midnight to Noon--neither store seemed busier than usual (thank God). Got Glacier White because they were out of Wave Blue (aw, nuts!) but I'm happy.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:08 pm

I think the only significant purchase we ever made on Black Friday was in 2009, when I got my PS3.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:22 pm

I've always found it paradoxical that Black Friday is so named for business going "in the black" i.e. turning a profit for the year at that time, and yet when there's a huge market disruption that is also named "Black (Day)" e.g. Black Tuesday.

The whole thing is either too ominous to denote a day of the proletariat besieging one another for cheap microwaves and doorbusters or not sufficiently so.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:25 pm

I was going to order some Common Projects from Trés Bien but a sudden surge of ennui stayed my hand.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:04 pm

I've never bought anything on Black Friday, but $40 off an Intel Core i5 4690k for the brains of my new gaming setup was too much to resist and I ended up ordering one.

Otherwise, I've stayed well away from stores today. As a matter of fact I had to work so it worked out :lol:
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:45 pm

Got a few things from Rightstuf today for myself. However, I won't ever go to a physical store. I was a cashier at a Target for a couple of years so I saw the craziness from that side of things. the horror....the horror.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:52 pm

Just wait for cyber-Monday. You get deals that are just as good with the convenience of never having to leave your home and interact with another living person. It's the perfect sale for the social introvert and agoraphobic.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

seaoflcl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby seaoflcl » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:34 am

Every black friday there's always a thousand new videos created depicting people of all ages, social class, etc. becoming animals. It's quite disturbing to me for reasons I can't necessarily explain. Even if there was good deals, I wouldn't want to be a part of that. There's no dignity left.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:20 am

I needed to go into town anyway to get a new chain and service for my bike, and some more coffee; but while I was there I took advantage of the sale prices to pick up a couple of brushed cotton shirts, a jumper and a new beard trimmer.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:58 pm

I bought my Anime Expo tickets at $20 off. ^_^

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”