Jurassic World

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Jurassic World

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:21 pm

The Trailer for it is out. and I must say, its looking pretty good. The scale is a lot bigger than the original films. This is Jurassic Park the way Crichton likely envisioned it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFinNxS5KN4

As some of you may already know, the Jurassic Park franchise has hit a lot of bumps along the road. The First film was amazing, but the second and third films disappointed audiences (though I personally enjoyed them), and the one tie in video game they bothered to make was terrible.

So Spielberg and company are apparently going back to the drawing board. Theres only one Jurassic Park, and this movie.

This is a perfect trailer, it exposes just enough Dinosaur spectacle for the fanboys, and leads us on by concealing the new monster that escapes and turning the park into its own personal buffet.

So its the plot for Alien, set in San Diego Wild Animal park. Only with dinosaurs instead of Xenomorphs.

I can dig it. What do you guys think?

Edit:

Oddly enough, theres actually a dialogue in the original novel between Hammond and one of his scientists about them creating 'Hybrid Dinosaurs'. Though in the original novel, the scientist said that it should be done to make the dinosaurs less violent and more domesticated thus making them less of a threat should any of them escape into the wild.

Sorry, but I'm really excited for this movie!
Last edited by Ray on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:26 pm

I'm excited. I saw Safety Not Guaranteed, which was the previous film that the director did, and liked it, so I'm optimistic at this point. I like almost everything about the movie so far.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:38 pm

The dark, grayish lighting in the trailer gives me JP3 vibes, which isn’t necessarily the best first impression. This isn’t to say that I’m immediately dismissing the film. In fact, opening Jurassic Park to the public would make the franchise more interesting at this point. TLW:JP had an interesting thought going when it came to exposing InGen secrets, and I had hoped that it would extend into exposing BioSyn as well, but TLW:JP had an abysmal script and JP3 only decided to fix the franchise by merely throwing more dinosaurs at us. (Losing a kid on the island is honestly one of the more lazy ways to initiate a plot in such an interesting world such as the one built for JP.)

So the premise for JW is a step in the right direction, at least. Hopefully we’ll get even darker stuff and sinister from InGen. Maybe future trailers will win me over a it better. I’m certainly seeing it simply because it’s a Jurassic Park film and I can’t not see those things, no matter how bad it might be. That’s my childhood imagination right there.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:39 pm

I also enjoy how it looks like the original Survivor Horror aspect that was in the original books but not in the first three movies, appears to be back in this movie.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:40 pm

Eh?
I don't see why this is necessary, honestly if it had ended at jurrasic park 1 that would have been fine but even then that film is a one of a kind, its not the kind of thing the needs to be recreated/rebooted/have a continuation

EDIT: done with the trailer, about what i expected, doesn't look all that interesting to me.
Hell it just looks like the 5000 other action/horror movies we have had over the years, might go and see it as this is only a trailer but gonna need more info to get won over.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Horrible CG, annoying kids, inb4 jet-packed alpha raptor

'93 Jurassic Park still looks a million times better

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:30 pm

No jurrasic park just understood how lighting works and why not revealing to much was a good thing.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:31 pm

We've been spoiled by modern day by CGI. I hope they have at least a few real practical effect dinos.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:32 pm

The problem with modern day cg is they make it look hyper-real which our eyes recognize as not real.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:38 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:'93 Jurassic Park still looks a million times better

Yeah, this.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:44 pm

also no Jeff Sexual Tyrannosaurus Goldblum

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:46 pm

They got Chris Pratt, thats pretty neat.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:18 pm

As a former dinogeek I don't like the idea of the "main antagonist" being a hybrid dinosaur, for me part of the fun in Jurassic Park comes from seeing all the different dino species they put in the movie, I have no interest in seeing a species that never existed.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:35 pm

@ATFISH

We were hoping audiences could discover this on their own, but yes, there will be one new dinosaur created by the park’s geneticists. The gaps in her sequence were filled with DNA from other species, much like the genome in the first film was completed with frog DNA. This creation exists to fulfill a corporate mandate—they want something bigger, louder, with more teeth. And that’s what they get.

I know the idea of a modified dinosaur put a lot of fans on red alert, and I understand it. But we aren’t doing anything here that Crichton didn’t suggest in his novels. This animal is not a mutant freak. It doesn’t have a snake’s head or octopus tentacles. It’s a dinosaur, created in the same way the others were, but now the genetics have gone to the next level. For me, it’s a natural evolution of the technology introduced in the first film. Maybe it sounds crazy, but most of my favorite movies sound crazy when you describe them in a single sentence.

Again, its the plot of Alien in a San Diego Zoo inspired park. The director is doing this to avoid having spoilers on the part of the audience. If he just used an existing species, the audience would just google it and that would ruin the surprise.

Wouldn't it be cool though, if the T-Rex or Raptors take down this Circus Freak Dinosaur?

Also, they have a Mosasaurus! Thats awesome!

EDIT:
Dinosaur Fans are already mad at the blatant scientific inaccuracies in the trailer.

http://gizmodo.com/dinosaur-nerds-are-already-mad-at-jurassic-world-1663425566
Last edited by Ray on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:44 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Horrible CG, annoying kids, inb4 jet-packed alpha raptor

'93 Jurassic Park still looks a million times better

The marine reptile (not sure of Mosasaurus, Liopleurodon, or Kronosaurus) looked fake. The water looked terrible.

For me nothing’s been able to surpass the beauty of the ’93 T-Rex. I don’t just mean in photorealism (though that has also been unmatched as of yet), but also in design. That thing was both terrifying and gorgeous to look at all at the same time.

I’m not against hybrid dinos in the park. I mean, even the original JP dinosaurs were hybrid with frog DNA, which is why they were able to breed in a single-sex environment. Nothing all that different is being done where. Though, I do find it rather silly that they keep trying to top their T-Rex. Just stop. Sue is your hero and you just need to realize that and make it the best T-Rex you can make it for your movie.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:05 pm

My guess is they created this new dinosaur as an attempt to create a species that would have evolved if the dinosaurs hadn't gone extinct.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:28 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Again, its the plot of Alien in a San Diego Zoo inspired park. The director is doing this to avoid having spoilers on the part of the audience. If he just used an existing species, the audience would just google it and that would ruin the surprise.

They didn't have to reveal the species in the trailer. And yes, the dinosaurs have always been genetic hybrids from the start but that never affected their appearance, they merely had some extra genetic material to fill in the gaps, but otherwise were accurate representations of their species (except for the velociraptors), this new one is supposed to be something different from any known species of dinosaur.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:03 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Dinosaur Fans are already mad at the blatant scientific inaccuracies in the trailer.

http://gizmodo.com/dinosaur-nerds-are-already-mad-at-jurassic-world-1663425566

My humble response.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:15 pm

It's the first Jurassic Park sequel that actually looks like it's trying to do something different. So I'm all aboard for this sequel!

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:54 pm

As expected, the complaints about CG -- when there was some CG in the '94 original, to show how the apatosaurs looked like and move. At the time the rendering machines of choice were mostly specialty SGIs about the size of a mini-fridge, and even then the CG work is hard.

Okay, notice the shark being hoisted right above the water? Right, it's symbolic -- the typical Jaws (don't some people remember this being from Speilberg?) great white shark, only that the massive (more likely genetically modded) mosa jumps up and eats the whole shark in one bite.

Return to “Film and Video”