Debating the quality of NTE again

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:01 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Film came out in Japan exactly two years ago today.

That was a fun, fun time. I still remember how excited I was when I was watching the first seven minutes of the film on Youtube.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:45 am

Yeah, it must had been something crazy, I didn't joined EGF yet (hell, I wasn't in Evangelion yet back then) but after reading the old thread, it was quite the crazy party between the revelation of the timeskip, Shinji being a criminal, WILLE, all mixed with the crazy fake reports such as Asuka being the last Angel that Kaworu and Shinji have to kill or that Mari is a LAS baby from the future/alternative universe that always calls Asuka "Mama"! :lol:

The server must had felt that frenzy too, since just the first reports of what was at the end of Q's TV airing crashed the server under the number of logs, I can't even begin to imagine what it was when it was Q proper that was discussed and what it'll be when Shin Eva will finally be released, or hell, just when we'll get an actual new trailer! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:56 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Yeah, it must had been something crazy, I didn't joined EGF yet (hell, I wasn't in Evangelion yet back then) but after reading the old thread, it was quite the crazy party between the revelation of the timeskip, Shinji being a criminal, WILLE, all mixed with the crazy fake reports such as Asuka being the last Angel that Kaworu and Shinji have to kill or that Mari is a LAS baby from the future/alternative universe that always calls Asuka "Mama"! :lol:

The server must had felt that frenzy too, since just the first reports of what was at the end of Q's TV airing crashed the server under the number of logs, I can't even begin to imagine what it was when it was Q proper that was discussed and what it'll be when Shin Eva will finally be released, or hell, just when we'll get an actual new trailer! :lol:

It was a very fun birthday for me :lol: Yea, I just can't wait until the 3.0+1.0 train starts rolling for real, then we get to do this all over again!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:15 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:That was a fun, fun time. I still remember how excited I was when I was watching the first seven minutes of the film on Youtube.

My brain was both stunned and confused when it heard the Nadia tune. It was like “It sounds so familiar, but I can’t place it over how awesome this scene is!!!"

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:16 pm

@ElMariachi: If you're curious, you can go to the stats page and check to see the amount of new users or posts per month that we got around the times of every major film release or announcement.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Those were fun times on the forum. When news came over about what was going on in 1.0 & 2.0 it all made immediate sense as a redoing of Evangelion. But 3.0... man, when those first bits of news about what the movie came out - 14 year time skip, Evangelion 13, 4th Impact, piano - for a day or two there I was positive the whole thing was one prank pulled off by one ingenious Japanese fanboy giving the rest of the world false info.

Then pics from the theatrical booklet came out & my mind was blown! (Best Rebuild yet)

My favorite wonky bit of news/speculation to come out those first few days - Mari is "confirmed" as Asuka & Shinji's time-traveling daughter from the future.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:29 pm

My favorites were Rei being pregnant (from Eva-01, apparently? Wasn't Shinji!) and Mari being BOTH a combination of Asuka/Shinji's daughter and Yui. :lol:

Can't find the batshit insane chart (from some 4chan thread, I'd wager), but if anybody does, please post it!

I'm still hoping to stay spoiler-free until a proper theatrical release for FINAL stateside, but we'll see. I can read FINAL's Anal Devastation thread after the fact and get a good laugh over the false information then. For future reference folks, unless it's on http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/ or the Japanese wikipedia page, don't believe it. ;)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:16 am

I saw just enough of the Q spoilers back then to feel legitimately spoiled without having run across anything outlandish enough to throw the rest into doubt. What I remember seeing was a description of Shinji waking up on the moon base, something about Asuka and Mari pestering him with questions about his family, and of course, the part about Asuka being the final Angel. I remember one summary ending with Rei going with Gendo to start (the real) Third Impact.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:18 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:@ElMariachi: If you're curious, you can go to the stats page and check to see the amount of new users or posts per month that we got around the times of every major film release or announcement.

That was quite insane indeed, the average number of posts per month in 2012 was around 5000, then in November it suddenly jumps at 10.000!

Also thanks to those stats I learned that I'm the second fastest user of the forum, just behind Nuke-kun, I don't know if I'm supposed to feel proud or be worried! -o-;
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:58 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:You do understand when big news about Rebuild hits the forums, the tons of duplicate threads that are created by fans who don't know realize where to post naturally get locked or merged, right? It was extremely hard to keep things organized when 2.0 hit, even with just trailers! :lol:

Yeah, i am aware of that. To tell you the truth, i wasn't a member when 2.0 hit. I joined around the theatrical release of Q and while i avoided most of the sections in case of spoilers, i think the situation was under control in terms of ''new info = 5 different threads''.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:02 am

Not being a member when 2.0 was out was a good thing judging by the threads I've read.....
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:30 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Yeah, i am aware of that. To tell you the truth, i wasn't a member when 2.0 hit. I joined around the theatrical release of Q and while i avoided most of the sections in case of spoilers, i think the situation was under control in terms of ''new info = 5 different threads''.

I joined when 3.0 was released. As I recall there was a lot of misinformation flying around in the early days because most of what we got came from image boards via Japan. We had to make loads of threads for different aspects of the story until everything settled down into its current dormant state.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:34 am

Oh Boy I can't wait to see what happens when we get a new trailer! :devil:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:58 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Not being a member when 2.0 was out was a good thing judging by the threads I've read.....

Almost everything was fights, straw men, and black & white fallacies. Very few nuanced points were made in those days... :cringe:

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:00 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Not being a member when 2.0 was out was a good thing judging by the threads I've read.....

Well. . .2.0 is still my favorite of the Rebuild movies.

Does that make me a bad person?

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:03 pm

Hell no i love 2.0! i like 3.0 just a tiny bit more but i don't understand the hate 2.0 gets.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:03 pm

I prefer Q to Ha, but the tone in the first half of Ha is very welcoming and lighthearted. The action scenes were nice too, and it honestly did do an impressive job juggling the important plot threads and character arcs given its running-time. Likewise, I don’t understand the hate that film got. I guess a lot of people were just impatient to get to the deconstructive latter half of an Anno Eva that they forgot the first half establishing what needed deconstruction needed to be there as well. The fact that a lot of Eva fans saw Q and exclaimed “Finally! This is ‘true’ Eva!” seems to support this idea.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:19 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Likewise, I don't understand the hate that film got. I guess a lot of people were just impatient to get to the deconstructive latter half
Go back and read the negative reactions of even just the first few pages of http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/11561/ and you'll see that impatience just wasn't it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:33 pm

^ Link isn't working for me.

Also why in the world 2.0 gets so much hate. I wasn't aware of it at first and when i found out i was surprised. It's one of the best anime films ever made and the best Eva thing ever created. I honestly don't have any problem re-watch it like 20 times and i still won't be bored (i have re-watch it like 4 or 5 times until now).
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Link fixed by dropping the "Debate-the-quality-of-Rebuild-here-1/" bit.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”