Shinji likes space: 3.0/FINAL foreshadowing?

The fate of SPOILERS is also the joy of speculation.
Readers enter at their own risk.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Giji Shinka
Donor
Donor
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 2608
Joined: Jan 26, 2013
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:43 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:But he's also apparently a big fan of astrology, which makes it strange when he didn't answered to Kaji when he asked him if he had any hobbies, because obviously he does have one.

Probably because he's not a big fan of opening up to others.
Avatar: "Anime-lehti" logo

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 70
Posts: 9094
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:28 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:he's also apparently a big fan of astrology,

Where do you get that from?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: How a recent moderation decision makes Shinji feel. (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 6829
Joined: Feb 26, 2013
Location: France
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:42 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Where do you get that from?

Damn I mean astonomy, I always mixes the two! :facepalm:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 70
Posts: 9094
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:51 am

I wondered - but you'd already used the right word, so I thought you might mean that as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: How a recent moderation decision makes Shinji feel. (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 6829
Joined: Feb 26, 2013
Location: France
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:54 am

Shinji really don't strike me as the kind of person that believes in fate and pre-destination, he shares at least that with his father, who despite all his talk about it still tried to carve his own fate (and of the world) by himself.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 70
Posts: 9094
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:00 am

I can go with that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: How a recent moderation decision makes Shinji feel. (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 8037
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:35 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Shinji really don't strike me as the kind of person that believes in fate and pre-destination, he shares at least that with his father, who despite all his talk about it still tried to carve his own fate (and of the world) by himself.


He doesn't strike me to the type to have even really thought about whether predestination exists but I could see him believing in it. A belief in astrology tends to run counter to a belief in true predestination, though.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 6829
Joined: Feb 26, 2013
Location: France
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:37 am

He doesn't believe in astrology, I just made a typo and wrote that instead of astronomy. But as you say, he probably doesn't really believe or just thought about that kind of things (he's still young), although that could change after the events of Q.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:31 pm

Does Shinji believe in fate? No, I don't think he does-- but I also don't believe he thinks that he has much control over his future, and not because of predestination, but because other people control it for him. We see as much in the series, and we can also watch that change over time as Shinji grows to start making decisions for himself, and then regress in EoE to the point of not really doing anything at all, which he promptly recovers from at the end of the film before winding up on the beach.

...longest sentence I've ever written on the forums.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 8037
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:He doesn't believe in astrology, I just made a typo and wrote that instead of astronomy. But as you say, he probably doesn't really believe or just thought about that kind of things (he's still young), although that could change after the events of Q.


"Does Shinji believe in fate" is an interesting question, though, as predestination may play a role in Evangelion generally.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 6829
Joined: Feb 26, 2013
Location: France
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:04 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Does Shinji believe in fate? No, I don't think he does-- but I also don't believe he thinks that he has much control over his future, and not because of predestination, but because other people control it for him.

Which sadly is true, especially in the Rebuild, where his father even controlled the people with whom he got close and is implied even his living conditions with his teacher to mold him into a manipulable boy!


View Original PostChuckman wrote:"Does Shinji believe in fate" is an interesting question, though, as predestination may play a role in Evangelion generally.

The only predestination there is in NGE and NTE is the self-fulling one created by powerful people that believe in it, namely SEELE and Gendo. ADAM(s) and Lilith, the closest beings to actual gods, don't have agency at all: ADAM's rampage was willingly triggered by SEELE, and Lilith seemed content to stay on its cross until GERHIN arrived and started to fuck with her soul, and even in EoE when she regained her full power and even beyond, she decided to let Shinji decide what she'll do with it.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

unitM
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 287
Joined: Jul 28, 2013

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby unitM » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:50 pm

ElM, Robersora: You guys might be pleased to find out you might both be off.

This is from the Evageeks wiki.

White Moon is a term from astrology to describe the lunar perigee, when the moon is closest to the Earth and hence at its most bright in our skies.

The Black Moon is in the ground. I personally think when 01 awakened, one of it's functions was to bring the white moon closer to earth(that's all 13 really did too).

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:20 pm

However, in Eva, the White Moon (in NGE, at least-- not sure if it's the same in NTE) is Adam's transport vessel. It's a thing, not an astrological term.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End
The Beginning and the End
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 8597
Joined: Jun 28, 2007
Location: Visiting forum at random

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:25 pm

The astrological origin was merely noted as the source of the terms "white moon" and "black moon". Anno just borrowed the names. The astrological meaning is not applicable in NGE at all.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX.
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

KRandMJ
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 171
Joined: Jun 10, 2015

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby KRandMJ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:11 pm

I think Shinji will eventually re-merge with Eva-1 and will drift into space by the end of the final film like his mom did in EOE. (After crazy stuff) As a form of self inflicted penance...because drama.


At the beginning of 3.0, Its implied that it was Shinji as Eva-1 that responded to Asuka's plea. (Perhaps Shinji displaced his mother or she sacrificed herself to save Shinji [whatever]...because drama) in 2.0, similar to Anima. Perhaps this explains why Shiji's sync rating with eva-1 is zero at 3.0; his mom is gone, and Ritsuko was using old data to compare Shinji with the Eva.

Lets say that Shinji manages to save the day in the last film, unless he can bring people back the dead or resets stuff, he has the blood of everyone on the planet on his hands. Shinji does not want to be alone, and what is worse for a person like that than being alone inside an Eva that's drifting in space. (Alone for eternity)...because drama.
Last edited by KRandMJ on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

gryzzli86
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 21, 2015
Location: Airstrip One
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby gryzzli86 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:31 pm

Sorry for the necro, but this discussion reminded me of something that may be relevant here.

So, it's fairly well-known that the soundtrack for Q was chock-full of rearranged tracks from Nadia. One in particular is the Nautilus battle theme (called "Rebirth of Nautilus" iirc), which in Evangelion serves as a leitmotiv for the AAA Wunder. Q throws in a surprising number of thematic callbacks to Nadia in particular, possibly also Gunbuster, so it's not too jarring when Anno seems to make us want to establish this link between the Wunder and the Nautilus/Eltrium. Of course, it may just be a nice little nod, but it's notable that it's several major tracks being reused in this way and not just one.

For those who haven't seen Nadia, the Nautilus turns out to be essentially an alien spaceship that just happens to serve as a nuclear submarine for 90% of the show (I'm simplifying because there's the bigger and badder Shin Nautilus/Excelium that comes in but the idea stands). That's right, a ship, that's also a spaceship. This may be a bit of an asspull, but what if the Wunder could also go into space? I'm not saying it can, and it evidently didn't when they went through that much trouble to retrieve Unit 01 from space (although they *were* retrieving Unit 01 precisely for its Macguffin core), but it seems like the possibility would work with the thematic bridges they threw around in Q.

I think Shinji will eventually re-merge with Eva-1 and will drift into space by the end of the final film like his mom did in EOE. (After crazy stuff) As a form of self inflicted penance...because drama.


Which is also, incidentally, pretty much the ending of Gunbuster, so I like where that idea is going.

Of course there's no solid evidence for any of this being the case, I just feel like NTE in general has a tendency to rely on the assumption that the viewer is familiar with some of Anno's previous work rather than to just exist in a vacuum. Of course, that may also just be the human mind looking for patterns where there are none to be found. Whether any of this is intended, or even if intended whether it actually pays off in the end, is another matter.

Sorry for this. It's 5:30 am.

tl;dr: I like the space thing, the Wunder being thematically linked to the Nautilus makes me wonder whether it might also serve as a spaceship, also Shinji/Unit 01 drifting in space forever and ever without ever aging, because Gunbuster.
“U c, Enobby,” Dumblydore said, watching the two of us watching the flame. “2 c wht iz n da flmes u mst find urslf 1st, k?” - My Immortal, chapter 12

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 2765
Joined: Mar 25, 2014
Location: Peoria, AZ
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:38 am

Shinji is Gay/Bi Bishounen Space Jesus.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

gryzzli86
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 21, 2015
Location: Airstrip One
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby gryzzli86 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:24 am

[s]Omedetou![/s] Okaerinasai!

SPOILER: Show
Image
“U c, Enobby,” Dumblydore said, watching the two of us watching the flame. “2 c wht iz n da flmes u mst find urslf 1st, k?” - My Immortal, chapter 12

BlueBasilisk
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 1134
Joined: Nov 14, 2010
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:12 am

Technically Shinji already did the "drifting in space without aging" thing while he was sealed in the tesseract. But I do think space could be an avenue for him going forward once all the Eva stuff is done.

Kaji and Kaworu both told him he needed to find something that gave him happiness, and space is one of them. Shinji could become an astronomer or even an astronaut. Humanity still has the capability and if there's any Eva tech left over after the last movie, space travel could be even easier than before. Shinji could go explore the moon!
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

gryzzli86
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 21, 2015
Location: Airstrip One
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby gryzzli86 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:40 am

Shinji could go explore the moon!


Given that not only is Rei strongly associated with the Moon, but Kaworu spends two entire NTE movies there, I have to say I love where that is going.
“U c, Enobby,” Dumblydore said, watching the two of us watching the flame. “2 c wht iz n da flmes u mst find urslf 1st, k?” - My Immortal, chapter 12


Return to “Evangelion Final [SPOILERS]”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests