[Merch] Evangelion book review blog

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

[Merch] Evangelion book review blog

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:57 am

I like collecting Evangelion books, so a friend convinced me to start writing book reviews on my blog, in case that would be helpful to other Eva fans. I won’t bother with reviewing the various manga series that are already available in English, since I figure that everybody has heard of those already. But even with skipping all those manga, the rest of my collection is over 87 books (EDIT: Now it's over 100 books!), so this will be quite a project!

Listed below are the book reviews I've already done (I also wrote a few "Evangelion analysis" articles that include information from official books). Feedback is appreciated! Also, if you have questions about any of these books, feel free to ask me. I'll keep updating this post as I do more book reviews, so stay tuned!

Completed book reviews and analyses

Teammate, sympathy (analysis)

Der Mond

Die Sterne and Die Sterne Ver.2.0

Carmine

Evangelion Chronicle Illustrations and Evangelion Chronicle Illustrations Revised Edition

2015//The Last Year of Ryohji Kaji

Hidenori Matsubara Illustrations works

Neon Genesis Evangelion Volume 14 Premium Edition

The End of Evangelion: Boku to Iu Kigou

Neon Genesis Evangelion Newtype 100% Collection

Sore o Nasumono - Shin Seiki Evangelion Concept Design Works

Evangelion ANIMA Visual Book

Nerv Fuji-Q Branch: Real Life Size EVA-01 Construction Project

Shin Seiki Evangelion Settei Shiryoushuu

Shin Seiki Evangelion Settei Shiryoushuu For "Eva" Maniacs

All About Kaworu Nagisa: A Child of the Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion Sega Saturn Perfect Guide

Neon Genesis Evangelion 2nd Impression Bible

Neon Genesis Evangelion Volume 13 Premium Edition

Rei: Evangelion Photograph

Asuka: Evangelion Photograph

Shinji: Evangelion Photograph

Kaworu: Evangelion Photograph

Evangelion Racing RQ: Sentou to Nichijou

Kaworu 2015 -Nagisa Kaworu Shashinshuu-

Mode EVANGELION: EVANGELION girls project by mobacolle

Space Jesus, Take the Wheel (analysis)

Evangelion Original III

Shin Seiki Evangelion E-conte Shuu #5

Groundwork of Evangelion Vol.3

Groundwork of Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo #01

E-SAKUGA Evangelion: 3.0 #1

Groundwork of Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo #02

The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A

Evangelion Ten Zuroku

Shin Seiki Evangelion TV Animation Settei Shiryoushuu 2015 edition

Neon Genesis Evangelion Newtype 1000% Collection

Mode EVANGELION2 ~20th Anniversary MOOK~

The Art of Yoh Yoshinari Illustrations

Evangelion and Japanese Swords, and Evangelion and Japanese Swords 2.0

The Notenki Memoirs: Studio Gainax and the Men Who Created Evangelion

E-SAKUGA Evangelion: 3.0 #2

Evangelion 3D File

Neon Genesis Evangelion Decade

Newtype Film Book: Neon Genesis Evangelion #9

Shin Seiki Evangelion Koutetsu no Girlfriend Visual Book

Shin Seiki Evangelion Koutetsu no Girlfriend 2nd Kanzen Kaitai Hakusho

Shin Seiki Evangelion Koutetsu no Girlfriend 2nd Koushiki Visual Book

Shin Seiki Evangelion Koutetsu no Girlfriend 2nd 4 Koma Manga Gekijou

Shin Seiki Evangelion Koutetsu no Girlfriend 2nd 4 Koma Manga Gekijou #2

Shin Seiki Evangelion Koutetsu no Girlfriend 2nd 4 Koma Manga Gekijou #3

The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side B

Neon Genesis Evangelion Photo File: Eve - Venus at the 2015 A.D.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Photo File 02: Adam - Soldier at the 2015 A.D.

Kabushikigaisha Khara 10 Shuunen Kinen Sasshi

Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone Complete Records Collection

Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance Complete Records Collection

Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q E-conte Shuu

Hiramatsu Tadashi Animation Gashuu

Ide Koji no Evangelion Forever

Shin Godzilla tai Evangelion Koukyougaku Concert Kinen Pamphlet

Hiramatsu Tadashi SketchBook

Evangelion ANIMA 1

Evangelion ANIMA 2

Iso Mitsuo ANIMATION WORKS vol.2

Evangelion ANIMA 3

Evangelion Irasutoshuu 2007-2017

EVANGELION Millennials RADIO EVA 10th Anniversary

Shin Seiki Evangelion Koushiki Guide Book

Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Jo - Entry File 1

Eva Extra 04

EVANGELION Millennials 2

Evangelion ANIMA 4

Evangelion ANIMA 5

Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q Zen Kiroku Zenshuu Visual Story Ban

Shin Evangelion Gekijouban Memorial Album

Evangelion no Yuru~i Nakama Yurushito desu.
Last edited by Literary Eagle on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:54 pm, edited 75 times in total.
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:56 am

Der Mond is a great book-- I bought it back when I first finished Evangelion, back when I was about 12. It was also interesting to see some other drawings that Sadamoto did, whether from other anime or just original drawings.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:15 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Der Mond is a great book-- I bought it back when I first finished Evangelion, back when I was about 12. It was also interesting to see some other drawings that Sadamoto did, whether from other anime or just original drawings.

Great book but too short in my opinion. I prefer Die Sterne.

My baby is The Newtype 100% artbook, way better than Der Mond. Mine it's a Japanese first edition. I got it for free :devil: :devil: :devil: (no, I didn't steal the book)

PD

Great reviews, I would kill for Carmine
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Evangelion book review blog

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:22 pm

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:the rest of my collection is over 87 books, so this will be quite a project!

Wow, I am in awe. :bow: Wondering how you'll handle reviews of the books that were not translated.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:52 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Great book but too short in my opinion. I prefer Die Sterne.

Maybe I'll ask for a copy-- the Jewish gift-giving holidays are coming up.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:56 am

Thanks for the comments, folks!

Nuclear Lunchbox: Yeah, Der Mond is very nice, and it holds a special place in my heart because it was one of the first Evangelion art books I got... in other words, it was the beginning of my ridiculous obsession with Eva books. -o-;

Jäeger: I agree, Die Sterne (especially Die Sterne Ver.2.0) is such a great book. I just wish some of the pictures weren't so small! But it really is a fantastic collection of art, so I can't complain too much.

Oh yes, I love the Newtype 100% Collection as well! I'll probably be reviewing that one in a few weeks. So you have a Japanese first edition? That's cool! Do you read Japanese? I have the French edition.

AR-99: The craziest part is that new Evangelion merchandise is coming out all the time, so I'm sure my book collection will keep growing before I'm done! Yikes! This is going to be a lot of reviews... but I'm sure it will also be lots of fun. :D

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:03 am

Quoting myself from another thread, because gaah, dem feels are stirring up again:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I quote myself from 2012 :lol:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Are there any online stores that might still sell Die Sterne Ver.2.0 besides Ebay? [snip]

If anybody has a ballpark of a decent price to buy it at, that'd be cool too. Thanks!

I've been starting to regret selling my Die Sterne (the original) several years back, that book really was beautiful. :( Hope its current owner is treasuring it. I found a copy around $28 used in good condition plus $4 shipping (from Japan) on Amazon...Everything else (used) is $30+, brand spanking new is $80 (no thanks).

I'm well aware it's just NGE illustrations (no NTE-style stuff) and I'm fine with that.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:10 am

@Literary Eagle: Do you have a copy of Sore Wo Nasumono? I was thinking that it might be a book I could be interested in getting.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:17 am

If you like Yamashita's stuff, Sore Wo Nasumono is a book you want to get. Although 100+ pages of design sketches and a dozen or so color illustrations is pretty great to have regardless.

Seiji Kio also has his stuff in that book but noone ever hears about him :(
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:29 am

Sailor Star Dust: Online shops that sell used Japanese books such as Mandarake or Suruga-ya sometimes have it at lower prices, although there are shipping costs to consider (and shopping service fees if you buy from Suruga-ya), so you'd have to calculate if it's worth it to go that route.

cyharding: Yes, I do! It's a very nice book if you want to see design sketches and some cracktastic ideas (the infamous "werewolf Asuka" picture is from here). Mostly black-and-white, but there are some beautiful color pictures as well.

TMBounty_Hunter: Hey, you're right... hardly anyone seems to mention Seiji Kio when talking about that book! Well, I'll be sure to mention him when I review it, then. ^_^

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:39 am

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:Oh yes, I love the Newtype 100% Collection as well! I'll probably be reviewing that one in a few weeks. So you have a Japanese first edition? That's cool!

I first got that in German (to have a chance of reading the text), but it was a faulty print with many blank pages. My replacement is Japanese, but I've no idea about editions. It's the only Eva picture book I've got, apart from (!) all of the GroundWorks books for everything. As a result of what's being said here, I'll clearly have to consider getting hold of Der Mond and/or Die Sterne.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:28 pm

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:AR-99: The craziest part is that new Evangelion merchandise is coming out all the time, so I'm sure my book collection will keep growing before I'm done!

I don't see them slowing down despite Japan officially being in a recession now. Just came back 2 weeks ago and the $/¥ exchange rate had gone up from 105 when I exchanged on arrival to 113 when I changed back before leaving.

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:shopping service fees if you buy from Suruga-ya

I had someone in Japan I know order for me so she gets compensated for her help with things like this but do you mean deputy fees or if you buy from Surugaya-atoo on Rakuten they hit you with fees? I noticed that the Rakuten prices in English are slightly marked up from going to the website directly.

Personally I would still buy from Surugaya in bulk since there's free shipping domestically when an order hits 3,000¥ and their discounting on used is very good.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:49 pm

pwhodges wrote:I first got that in German (to have a chance of reading the text), but it was a faulty print with many blank pages.

Blank pages? Yikes! How unfortunate. I didn't even know something like that could happen! I'm glad you were able to find a decent version as a replacement.

Yes, Der Mond and Die Sterne are very nice. If you can't read French, then go for Die Sterne Ver.2.0 if you can... it has more pictures!

AR-99 wrote:I had someone in Japan I know order for me so she gets compensated for her help with things like this but do you mean deputy fees or if you buy from Surugaya-atoo on Rakuten they hit you with fees?

I was referring to deputy fees. I haven't tried ordering anything through Rakuten yet. Yeah, even with deputy fees factored in, the couple times I've bought stuff from Suruga-ya were very reasonable in terms of price.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:03 am

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:although there are shipping costs to consider (and shopping service fees if you buy from Suruga-ya), so you'd have to calculate if it's worth it to go that route

I used to import stuff when I was in college (e.g. from CDJapan or PlayAsia)--for me, I'd rather not deal with the crazy import fees anymore! Thanks for letting me know it's available there, too!

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:46 am

OLD POST:

Okay, I have posted my sixth Evangelion book review! Check it out:

Hidenori Matsubara Illustrations works

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Well, that's six book reviews done, and at least 81 more to go. -o-; Next I will be reviewing The End of Evangelion: Boku to Iu Kigou, and then Neon Genesis Evangelion Newtype 100% Collection, because some friends have asked me about those. Then I'll do Sore o Nasumono, since cyharding inquired about it. And after that, I'll do Evangelion ANIMA Visual Book for the sake of keeping the Yamashita stuff together. What can I say, I like being organized. Heh.

NEW POST:

Okay, in the past few days I have posted two new book reviews!

First, I decided to do the Neon Genesis Evangelion Volume 14 Premium Edition, because it's a brand new release and I thought people might be interested (no story spoilers; I only talked about the bonus items), so you can check that out if you haven't seen it yet.

And just yesterday, I did a review for a strange, dreamlike little book called The End of Evangelion: Boku to Iu Kigou. The ending of this book might be seen as Asuka/Shinji depending on how you choose to interpret it, so I hope you'll enjoy the review if you like LAS... and there's stuff for the other characters too, of course! (For those of you who prefer KawoShin, my next book review will be your turn: I'll be doing some translations that you'll find very interesting... and I'll include stuff for others as well, so no worries. I love all the Evangelion characters and I think that Asuka, Rei, and Kaworu are all equally valid potential love interests for Shinji, so I'll try my best to be egalitarian about shipping with these book reviews.)

Feedback would be appreciated, and if you have any questions concerning these books, feel free to ask!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:53 pm

I remember seeing scans of 僕という記号 ("What I call symbols"...does that mean Anno did put the book together?) years ago...what a strange book! Thanks for the info! :asuka_thumbsup:

I...can't figure out what the very last text says (the stuff after Episode 15) lines. Thought I tried translating it years ago but it was so long ago I forget. Anyway you could extract the Moonspeak? -o-; It's something regarding A/S, and their hands... I love how the term LAS caught on here after I started using it!

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:48 pm

Ah yes, the very last bit of text on that page... The first of the two sentences is basically "Shinji and Asuka lying on the sand." So that's simple enough. But the second one... yeesh. Something about "touch", "compatible" (or "not compatible"?) and "two people's hands"? Now I'm really wishing I'd had time to continue taking those Japanese lessons. -o-;

I'll put the two sentences here, in case anyone wants to give it a try:

砂上に横たわっているシンジとアスカ。何もせず, 触れ合わない 二人の手。

If anybody has further insight on that, it would be much appreciated!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:24 am

Looks like the directions from the Script? http://evacommentary.org/episode-m26/episode-m26-scene12.html#cut464

Reichu script translation wrote:464 Shinji and Asuka lying down (Asuka's left eye and right arm are bandaged).
465 Their arms both lay idle, neither touching the other.

Mixed signals with the kiss dialogue, the EoE Script direction, and the strangling rough storyboard! :kaos_sick: Mixed signals much like the LAS relationship in general, no? :tongue:

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:15 am

Oh, directions from the script! I didn't think of checking that. Good catch!

And yes, mixed signals describes them quite well... according to the relationship chart in the book The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side B, Asuka's feelings for Shinji are "love/hate", and Shinji's feelings for Asuka are "complex feelings". Yes, I will be doing a review for this book eventually. :D I'm just waiting for the English version to come out first, because I want to see how it compares to the French version. In the meantime, I did write this post a couple of months ago that talked about the relationship chart a little: Teammate, sympathy

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:44 am

I remember hearing about that "teammate, sympathy" blurb (probably a post of yours) awhile ago--I really wonder when those books will be released stateside? I hope it wasn't cancelled, because it was supposed to be this year, I believe. I think Udon Books was the stateside publisher?

I've been super curious about that relationship chart for some time now--please translate it if you can! :kaworusparkle:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”