Venture Bros. Thread: Go Team Venture!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Venture Bros. Thread: Go Team Venture!

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:30 pm

It's a crime there isn't a Venture Bros thread on EGF. So I made one (I hope I didn't miss a VB thread in my search).

Well, I'll get the ball rolling by saying that it's my favorite TV show of all time, and that includes anime. I think Aeon Flux would be a close second.

I love how it parodied old Hanna Barbera cartoons like Jonny Quest and Scooby Doo. As a kid who constantly watched Cartoon Network and similar channels growing up, I'd sometimes catch those older cartoons whenever they decided to air them. I think Scooby Doo was probably the one I liked most at the time.

That must be why I love that episode where a group of messed up hippie-type people suspiciously similar to the Mystery Inc Gang shows up all old and hippie-y. There's Scooby as some demon dog that only Shaggy can hear talking. And the ending with the clones being revealed to the boys as "Christmas presents" and Brock kicking the asses of the Shaggy and Fred analogs. :lol:

I also appreciate how the show has changed and developed over the years. There's also this nice strict continuity, unlike some other shows. The boys are actually growing as people and stuff with each season, and so too is the show evolving with each year. I also love all the adventurer/superhero and pulp elements of the show.

The one thing that's remained consistent is the despoiling of those innocent, illogical cartoons of the past. It applies all of the harshness of adult reality to these naive children's shows and stuff. Everybody is fucked up in one way or another and some of them don't even realize it (like Hank and Dean for most of the show's run). Captain Sunshine, a Superman analog, is shown to have very strange feelings for his young boy adventurer sidekicks. :lol:

VB takes these characters with serious mental issues and makes me laugh. The flip side of this would be Eva.

The only thing I hate about it is that we have to wait 1.5 years (or more) in-between each season. That's freaking lame, man. And season 5 was only like 8 episodes (+ 1 Halloween special) long. I hope season 6 is longer.

And I eagerly await its premiere (hopefully) in early 2015.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:00 pm

Here, here!

As you can tell from my username, I'm a big Venture Brothers fan. Its one of only a couple of shows me and my Dad are both fans of (leaving my Mom to wonder why we always say "Spanokopita!" when somebody mentions Greece :lol: )

What's weird about it is that most of the things Venture Bros. makes fun of (Hanna Barbera cartoons in particular) my Dad remembers watching when it came out and I was watching as reruns on Cartoon Network. Even if there's a reference to something in the show, its still hilarious.

It's kind of silly but I can imitate some of the character's voices. My favorite to do is The Monarch :tongue:
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:16 am

Finally, a reply! Thanks. I was worried this thread was going to go the way of the Aeon Flux thread I started some months ago.

You're lucky to have such a cool dad. None of my friends are interested in watching it, so I don't really have anyone to talk about it with.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:49 pm

No problem. VB is like the only other animated show I like to analyze and discuss in between waiting for more episodes ;_;

What I like about Venture Bros. is that it started as an affectionate parody or deconstruction of Jonny Quest and other sort of boys adventure stories of that ilk and the characters began to grow and evolve or the characters become defined by how they don't change. Its kind of hilarious and sad that Dr. Venture feels like everything started to go wrong for him was when through puberty and changed from Rusty Venture, boy adventurer, to an awkward teenager and then finally a sadsack adult defined by the accomplishments of his father or bizarrely, the accomplishments of his cartoon counterpart. I'm actually hard pressed to remember if they said in the show how much liberty the Rusty Venture TV show (brought to you by smoking!) takes with the real-life adventures of Rusty and the original Team Venture but I guess it would make sense for Dr. Venture to forget or his memory to become blurred with a childhood rife with kidnappings, mummies, crawling through tunnels and dinosaurs. :lol:
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:13 pm

Fantastic show, and eminately quoteable. I've had one in my sig for a very long time.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:51 pm

I should add a VB quote to my sig. Think I'll go with something simple.

The Monarch is probably my favorite character from the show. But they're all great, for different reasons.

I must have watched seasons 1 to 4 like three times. I've seen 5 twice now.

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:43 pm

The only thing that suck about the show is the long wait in between seasons. Seriously when's season 6 coming?

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:56 pm

The date's tentatively set to "Early 2015" with a special episode set to air before the actual season starts, like the Halloween episode that aired before season 5.

It's a good thing the gap between season 5 and 6 isn't as big as the one between 4 and 5. That took nearly 3 years!

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:33 pm

True. I only started watching Venture Bros this year so I've never had to wait years in between seasons like many fans.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:25 pm

All This and Gargantua-2 was awesome. Some loose strings were tied up and a lot of new, big developments took place to set up season 6. And I really appreciate the fact that this was a 50-minute special. Just made it that much more of a fulfilling experience and extended the duration of my viewing pleasure. It was on par with the season 4 finale, which itself felt like it could have been a fitting series finale (thank the gods it wasn't, though). And the production values have really improved since the show's humble beginnings. The upgrade in quality has been apparent since the beginning of season 3, but it's like each new season improves upon the quality of the previous one. In terms of content, however, it's been consistently amazing since maybe season 2.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Geez, no kidding! SO MUCH HAPPENED.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:17 pm

Yeah, such a great special. Could have been funnier but I was entertained throughout and now I'm even more hyped for season 6.
"Even just the sight of you gets on my nerves!" - Asuka Langley Soryu
"Because I'm just like you?" - Shinji Ikari

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:13 pm

SPOILER: Show
Did they seriously kill off the Sovereign just like that? A misfired sniper bullet? I guess it's fitting, given his last words. "[I'm] Just some bloke that wanted to be anyone but himself." We might never know who he really was and they might never find out he's dead.

And I find it hilarious that Treister actually got to be a Hulk. The gamma rays that he was bombarded with must have turned him into the Walking Cancer or something. :lol:

edit:

Season 6 is airing in 2016? ARGH stop making us wait so long between seasons! The Cartoon Gods are so cruel.

edit:

Trailer for season 6: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyLokpEkzrc[/url]

Can't wait 'til February!

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Re: Venture Bros. Thread: Go Team Venture!

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:12 pm

Season 6 premiere was great. Really interested in seeing how the new directions of the Guild and the Ventures turn out.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:16 am

Two months ago, I along with my brothers and my dear friend Sophie, watched every season of VB in about three weeks, usually averaging a season a night. It was maybe the third or fourth time for me, second for my brothers, and first for her. Tomorrow night we're going to marathon season six with a stuffed pizza. While I've already watched every new episode twice (immediate rewatches became essential around season three when the show attained its own dense later of meta-logic) I have yet to see the entire season in a single sitting, and this one being far less episodic than seasons past, the wait for this next viewing has left me ecstatic.

Since Gargantua-2 had altered the status-quo so drastically, my initial viewing of the first two episodes were guarded, as they had a lot of characters to introduce and plots to set in motion. This was feeling like season one again. Where's Dr. Orpehus and the Triad? Where's Hunter and Shoreleave? How can this only have eight episodes? Of course, midway through, I couldn't deny this was without question the best the show has ever been. Doubling down on the intricacies of their mythology, discarding the baggage of five previous seasons to tell a taut, expertly paced story--doesn't even sound like a gamble.The Blue Morpho plot was gripping! They even started using those end credit stingers for--gasp!--escalating tension instead of laughter! Sweet Jesus, this hypercube of cultural pastiche has become one of those golden age TV dramas you see on HBO or Showtime that get concussions from all Emmy bludgeoning.

This, of course, made the abrupt non-climax all the more painful. Oh, meager episode count, thou hast bitten my ass hard! This means another season finale played as a special--technically a season premiere--just as Gargantua-2 was before, ensuring a vicious cycle where the grand finales we'd been getting up to season four come off amputated and soaked in the gleam of a preservative bath. This show being criminally under-watched, I have none to bask with in the pangs of lament. Oh, another year or two before this magnificent story finds conclusion! It never gets easier!
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:31 pm

I’m currently rewatching the series on Hulu, the second time of going through the whole series.

It’s one of Adult Swim’s greatest shows, along with Metalocalypse, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and Robot Chicken. The writing is superb, the plot is entertaining, and the whole humor is out of this world. The characters in it are all great, from the dense and naïve Hank and Dean Venture to the rather eccentric General Timothy Triester. Brock Sampson has got to be my favorite of the whole series, and Red Death is pretty a bad ass villain that has his priorities straight.

And you gotta love the references that pops up every now and then, and you have to be a nerd or fan of the pop culture to get them.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Return to “Film and Video”