EGF: Has It Changed? How? [split]

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 5081
Joined: Jan 09, 2011

EGF: Has It Changed? How? [split]

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Tankred » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:55 am

[Split from "People That Are Gone, Maybe They Came Back". - Monk]

View Original Postrobersora wrote:^
That seems kinda sad, since no one would know. :/


Take solace in the fact that they will never find out about the current state of things.

robersora
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 3389
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Europe, Austria
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby robersora » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:27 am

View Original PostTankred wrote:Take solace in the fact that they will never find out about the current state of things.


Is it that bad for you?
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 2838
Joined: Dec 19, 2010
Location: Tamriel
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trajan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:18 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Take solace in the fact that they will never find out about the current state of things.


The forums have changed since I was first a member here, in some ways for the worse, but in a lot of ways for the better. While the user base is rather insular and doctrinaire regarding some things, the moderation is much less draconian, most of the universally annoying users have either left or have been banned, and we don't seem to get many trolls these days. This place may not have the energy it did in 2011, but it is more welcoming IMO.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 5081
Joined: Jan 09, 2011

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Tankred » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:46 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:The forums have changed since I was first a member here, in some ways for the worse, but in a lot of ways for the better. While the user base is rather insular and doctrinaire regarding some things, the moderation is much less draconian, most of the universally annoying users have either left or have been banned, and we don't seem to get many trolls these days. This place may not have the energy it did in 2011, but it is more welcoming IMO.


The moderation is much less draconian because the user base is, in your words: "insular and doctrinaire regarding some things". Having most of the "universally annoying users" leaving or getting banned seems to have only made things more boring, because as you say, this place lacks the energy it once had. We can't even debate gay marriage and incest because one side has a shit fit over it and decides to piss over the other guy who's been working on his essay regarding it for days and then everything goes to shit.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 71
Posts: 9444
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:57 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:The moderation is much less draconian because the user base is, in your words: "insular and doctrinaire regarding some things". Having most of the "universally annoying users" leaving or getting banned seems to have only made things more boring, because as you say, this place lacks the energy it once had.

On the other hand, there are probably people here who would not have stayed in the past; I certainly know that's true as a result of tightening up the rules on behaviour at the forum I've been administering for the past four years.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Sad, sad Shinji... (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 4071
Joined: Jan 12, 2013
Location: Behind the Door of Kukundu
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:09 pm

Tankred, there was a lot of shitslinging in general on that topic. It's been handled, it's being resolved: move on.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 5081
Joined: Jan 09, 2011

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Tankred » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:11 pm

^
I'd appreciate not being patronized, friend. Shouldn't we be talking about issues that happen on this forum in a civilized manner. Or should we hide it under a rug until the stink overwhelms everyone's senses?

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:On the other hand, there are probably people here who would not have stayed in the past; I certainly know that's true as a result of tightening up the rules on behaviour at the forum I've been administering for the past four years.


Indeed, I don't begrudge admin for doing their job, I understand it must be hard to strike the right balance, it's just right now, to me personally, things seem flat. Though I suppose I could blame myself for not conjuring up discussion.

I do miss a lot of old members. They certainly gave this place energy, even if it could be chaotic.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:31 am

Although, just because somebody brings energy doesn't necessarily mean that they're productive. I've dealt with many a person in life who brought "energy" to the table, but turned out to be an impediment or generally useless.

@PW: That will be a morbid time, but it isn't here yet! ^_^

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 8491
Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Location: Chicagoland area
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:35 am

View Original PostTankred wrote:I do miss a lot of old members. They certainly gave this place energy, even if it could be chaotic.

Like who? I ask because what Nuke said above brought to mind examples of people who definitely brought "energy" who also definitely needed to go.
System Administrator, Thread Surgeon General, Default Complaint Receptacle
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 5081
Joined: Jan 09, 2011

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Tankred » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:19 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Like who? I ask because what Nuke said above brought to mind examples of people who definitely brought "energy" who also definitely needed to go.


Pretty sure this thread lists some of them, they have their reasons for leaving, a few left simply because they were disgruntled like symbv, who was probably one of our most productive members in terms of how much he translated. Some were just bored, like Mugwump, who made some of the most colourful posts this forums probably ever seen. Now I'm just starting to sound nostalgic, but there were certainly people with energy and productivity on this forum, I'm not upset with their leaving, but it's true that as they've went this place has sort of uh, suffered a brain drain.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 71
Posts: 9444
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:26 am

Ah, nostalgia... there's nothing quite like it!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Sad, sad Shinji... (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sgt. Griff
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 1375
Joined: Oct 10, 2011
Location: Kiwiland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:04 am

One must realize with the influx of new members there seems to be at the moment that there will be interesting people amongst the turmoil. Nostalgia's great and feels like nothing else, but the future will always be there, while the past fades out of memory.
I'm writing music or studying law. It's all very unclear at this point.

robersora
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 3389
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Europe, Austria
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby robersora » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:55 am

^
When Final drops, this forum will experience traffic and new user influx galore. So let's just enjoy the cozy calm before the storm.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 2838
Joined: Dec 19, 2010
Location: Tamriel
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trajan » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:55 pm

I'd like to add that while I don't necessarily think the forums should go back to the way things were, especially considering the fact that we still have plenty of heated arguments on here even with the more insular outlook, I do think all of us could learn to debate better and in a more civil fashion. As in, if someone puts the time and effort into coming up with a well worded response explaining their position along with citing sources, they deserve a better response than "WTF is wrong with you?" and "[threat redacted]" even if it's an unpopular position.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 4071
Joined: Jan 12, 2013
Location: Behind the Door of Kukundu
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Agreed, but neither does that give said person free rein to respond in kind.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

caragnafog dog
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 1474
Joined: Feb 11, 2013
Location: Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:33 pm

View Original Postrobersora wrote:^
When Final drops
Which will be after the events of Revelations occur, not before. We have a long wait ahead of us, friend.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 7603
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:44 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I do think all of us could learn to debate better and in a more civil fashion. As in, if someone puts the time and effort into coming up with a well worded response explaining their position along with citing sources, they deserve a better response than "WTF is wrong with you?" and "[threat redacted]" even if it's an unpopular position.

These videos should help when it comes to debating online: http://youtu.be/cGZkCPo7tC0?list=PLtHP6qx8VF7dPql3ll1To4i6vEIPt0kV5

As for that whole weird incest/gay/squick/whatever thread, I avoided that like the plague. I knew I had way too many nuances to my opinion for many to actually read and follow without trying to issue some straw man or red herring against them. And since I already stated that I was in favor of the legal recognition of certain rights in homosexual relationships being as well observed on a national level as someone’s driver’s license.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 60
Posts: 19829
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:21 am

The big change is that we ran out of things to unpick from the series and have been subsisting mainly on the new movies, with just a trickle of new information emerging from old sources and new interviews being translated. And there's only so many times a year you can go over the old ground.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Ritsu-chan

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 7603
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:46 am

^ That much is obvious. I joined in 2009, but even as recently as that I remember when a newcomer asking a question about NGE in a new topic might still start up a new discussion exploring that question.

Nowadays a newcomer starting a new thread asking a question about NGE is given the links to at least 5 different and very long threads to read up on, and maybe even a thread lock if the new thread gets two posts long. And whereas I see the necessity for that, I don’t feel as though one's first inquisitive topic ending in a thread lock after two posts is very welcoming.

I hesitate that we’ve answered all of the questions there are to ask about NGE. I actually see the fact that there’s a divide between the fans concerning the canonic value (or possible lack there of) between EoE and EoTV is very welcoming. It means that there’s still something in-depth to discuss about the series.

In the same way I find these new movies very welcoming. With the installment of Eva Q in the new series more of the forum’s users than ever before have finally started giving NTE the same basic attention that they gave NGE without having to resort to the premature Sequel Theories. But even then I don’t see the discussions around these movies as having the longevity that NGE theories had.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 8491
Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Location: Chicagoland area
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:23 am

It's a little surprising to see the on-topic section of the forum being discussed at all when my impression of this tangent when I split it was that it was mostly about how the off-topic section has changed.

In my case regarding the on-topic stuff I actually remember quite a few discussions that didn't reach a satisfactory conclusion (not even the standard stalemate) that I've kept wanting to continue but never do because they're never on my mind at an appropriate time and I don't have the energy right now to make it the "appropriate time" because I'm in intense grad school or otherwise occupied with real life.

When it comes to new discoveries about the source material (or what some consider part of the source material, I should say) I know there's plenty more left to mine because every now and then someone will drop a mention about something that happens in NGE2 which I think would have been something great to know the last time the topics to which it would have been relevant were hot. The fact that not even all the game's endings have been translated let alone its individual scenes shows how much field there is left to plow. For those who hold the game as a source, that is.

Even leaving that aside I still have this pile of Discussion "to-dos" left stretching as far back as my very first posts on the forum (which were in "The Great Episode 24` Plothole/Fanwank Thread"). To me the NGE discussion bug is this thing always lying in wait, always popping up again and whenever it gets going it feels just like old times, and in the best way possible because even though it's "old times" again there's been progress made, so it's less like going over the same ground than it is continuing the old paths and exploring new ones.
System Administrator, Thread Surgeon General, Default Complaint Receptacle
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara


Return to “Evageeks.org News and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest