Terminator - Genisys (2015)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Terminator - Genisys (2015)

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:55 pm

TERMINATOR - GENISYS (2015)
- not a sequel to salvation

starring
Arnold Schwarzenegger - T-800 (whos organic flesh does in fact age)
Aaron v.williamson - T-800
emilia clarke - sarah connor
jai courtney - kyle reese
jason clarke - john connor
courtney b.vance - miles dyson
matt smith - unknown
byung hun lee - unknown
j.k simmons - unknown

official plot
Sarah Connor isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991’s T2. Rather, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who’s great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Okayyyyyyyy... that can be either a brilliant reboot or an abyssal bomb, no middle ground.

Also WTF Matt Smith as a US Soldier!? :cringe:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:15 pm

yeah thats a really dumb title...........
also nope, cant see matt as anything but the doctor now so this is just going to take all seriousness out of the role, i will constantly be expecting matt to pull out his sonic and blow up some cybermen (terminators will have to do)
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:18 pm

I read a spoilery script summary the other day. This film sounds absolutely dreadful. Apparently, they introduce even more new types of Terminators, have multiple Kyle Reeses, have John Connor's son, have multiple Arnold Schwarzeneggers, takes place in multiple eras, and doesn't make any sense at all.

I hope that they fix these script problems, or whatever I read was total b.s. Otherwise, if all that was true, this is going to put the final nail in Terminator's coffin.

It will be terminated.

[/ducks tomatoes]
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:46 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:I read a spoilery script summary the other day. This film sounds absolutely dreadful. Apparently, they introduce even more new types of Terminators, have multiple Kyle Reeses, have John Connor's son, have multiple Arnold Schwarzeneggers, takes place in multiple eras, and doesn't make any sense at all.

I hope that they fix these script problems, or whatever I read was total b.s. Otherwise, if all that was true, this is going to put the final nail in Terminator's coffin.

It will be terminated.

[/ducks tomatoes]

1.) More terminators is good, the longer the war rages the more experimental types will be made to more effectively kill the enemy. It's just realistic
2.) Connors son was teased in salvation.....which this is not a sequel to.as far as we can tell but maybe they already have a plan for his character and still want to incorporate it here.
3.) Multi Schwarzenegger makes plenty of sense. There was 4 over the course of the previous 4 movies no reason multiple ones might be seen at once
4.) Multi eras is a great idea. It is a time travel movie
Get the Bennefits of a period piece, the present day chase and the apocalyptic future all in one movie instead of just devoting the film to one or the other.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:03 pm

Lets be honest, we all know this movie more likely than not going to be terrible. . . .

Terminator is a franchise Zombie, begging to be put down at this point.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:11 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:
Terminator is a franchise Zombie, begging to be put down at this point.

Don't worry it will always be back

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Terminator - Genisys (2015)

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:57 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:TERMINATOR - GENISYS (2015)
official plot
Sarah Connor isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991’s T2. Rather, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who’s great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion

Wat.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:58 pm

The whole movie from title to cast to story sounds really fucking stupid.

And it's from the "visionary director" of Thor 2: The Dark World.

Pass.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:06 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Terminator is a franchise Zombie, begging to be put down at this point.

I see what you did there.

My gut instincts tell me this one is going to flop badly. Terminator is just one of those franchises that's had its day. Hollywood should focus on making new stuff instead of retooling old things with the hope that they'll become popular ago. There's only so much nostalgia people are willing to tolerate before they want something new. 95% of the time, people prefer the older entries anyway.

EDIT: Also...why....why, is it spelled Genesys? Just why?
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:19 pm

If this film incorporates the ideas that:

1. Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor is not the mother of the John Connor that sent Kyle Reese back from the future, who was actually one of the T-800's prior victims, but Kyle comes from a different universe than the one the original T-800 left from.

2. Skynet is actually the T-800 from the first movie and everything it does centers around killing John Connor. It started a nuclear war and a pogrom against the survivors to spark a resistance so it could identify John Connor and send itself back in time to kill him and will keep doing it in an infinite feedback loop forever.

3. Skynet constantly fails to kill John Connor because it knows if it does, it will no longer have any purpose, and the huge machine army will just freeze in place with nothing else to do.

It will be very good.

It sounds like it has the potential to do something more than a rehash of the preceding films but with slightly dumber jokes and a slightly older Arnold.

This time around, I hope they have some nuts and make an R-rated movie that doesn't cater the moronic whims of illiterate test audiences. The original ending to Salvation would have redeemed the movie.

Also Emilia Clarke is much cuter with her natural hair.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:11 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Terminator is a franchise Zombie, begging to be put down at this point.

disagree, liked 3 & 4

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:The whole movie from title to cast to story sounds really fucking stupid.

And it's from the "visionary director" of Thor 2: The Dark World.

Pass.

i get the questioning of the plot (altho i find it intriguing) but other than jai, whats wrong with the cast?
jason clarke was fantastic in dawn of the apes.

and thor 2s flaws where script related (comedy, under developed villain) not directing related.

View Original PostTrajan wrote:95% of the time, people prefer the older entries anyway.

its not or should not be about preference or comparisons between the new or old, it should just be about enjoying MORE of something.
when t2 or aliens came out people where not this pessimistic about sequels, we have become too nilistically jaded

View Original PostChuckman wrote:This time around, I hope they have some nuts and make an R-rated movie that doesn't cater the moronic whims of illiterate test audiences. The original ending to Salvation would have redeemed the movie.

agreed on r rating, strongly disagree on the original end of salvation that was just sadistic, im ok with dark endings (lol i love eva)... but no.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:48 am

Aside from the original and the comic The Burning Earth all of Terminator has been crap. This will be no different.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:32 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Aside from the original and the comic The Burning Earth all of Terminator has been crap. This will be no different.

You are including T2 when you're discussing "the original" right? Because while I appreciate the first Terminator movie for what it is, it doesn't hold up nearly as well as T2 which might be the greatest modern action movie.

movieartman wrote:its not or should not be about preference or comparisons between the new or old, it should just be about enjoying MORE of something.
when t2 or aliens came out people where not this pessimistic about sequels, we have become too nilistically jaded

The reason we've become so jaded compared to past audiences is because we've been bombarded by sequels, reboots, re-imaginings and spinoffs for the past fifteen years. It's just the same stuff with a different take on it and after a while you just want someone to create something distinct and original instead of retreading others' (oftentimes superior) work. Back then, discounting serialized movies (i.e. Godzilla, James Bond, Star Trek), sequels were a big deal because there weren't so many of them. Now, if a blockbuster is even moderately successful, you're practically guaranteed to have a sequel. Also the percentage of reboots has increased dramatically compared to the past. And most of the time, fans just watch the old ones over again because the newer version is just a copy of the original, missing the heart and soul that made those movies special in the first place.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:53 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:You are including T2 when you're discussing "the original" right?

I am. The Terminator might have dated effects, but its social worth and value as a story haven't waned one bit. It was actually a surprisingly layered story, touching on humanity's burgeoning cyberization, our fear of our own creations, the omnipresent gloom of the Nuclear Age, and lots of other things. It was good science fiction, not just a good action movie. T2 pissed all over that, wrecking one of the few good time travel stories in movie history and replacing it with the same old drek. Good action movie? Sure, and it gets points for Linda Hamilton, but it's nowhere near the quality of the original. The fact it's the best of the rest doesn't mean it's all that great.

The reason I mentioned The Burning Earth is because it's what T2 should have been: the story of how Reese and the terminator got sent back to begin with, and Connor's role in all that. It's not a story that particularly needed to be told, but as an action setpiece it works well enough and, more importantly, it doesn't conflict with the story told in The Terminator one iota. There's no way said story could be told given the state of moviemaking in 1991, but it sure would have been neat to see.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:57 am

Damn, even the promotional photographies don't bode well.
SPOILER: Show

Come on, I've seen fanfilms that are less cheap than that! :cringe:

And can someone explain to me the interest to put an eotech or a laser point to a fucking flamethrower! :facepalm:
Seriously, this mode of the "tacticool" is becoming ridiculous!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:01 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote: This will be no different.

I, too, think it will be terrible. Even the promo images look shiny-bright and slick when they should be more grimy and gritty. The plot sounded bad enough on paper, but they certainly haven't even tried to connect it to the original.

And apparently the most they can share with us is images of the characters firing guns open-mouthed. :facepalm: Still no sign of any actual Terminator outside of the rather jolly-looking one on the magazine cover.

Sometimes I wonder why directors don't try to go back to the roots of these sci-fi classics.

EDIT:

Holy shit, is that meant to be Kyle Reese? :lol: They would have done a better job just digging up Michael Biehn again.
Last edited by Shinoyami65 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:03 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:And can someone explain to me the interest to put an eotech or a laser point to a fucking flamethrower! :facepalm:

I'd be surprised if that didn't wind up being a gag or an inside joke of some sort. It's too over the top to be taken seriously.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Cameron originally planned T2 to be the last movie in the franchise. He even planned to shoot an after credits sequence showing that John Connor grew up to become a US Senator. An ironclad ending that shut down any possibility of a Sequel. But someone talked him out of it, and now a once great franchise is now a laughingstock.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:11 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I am. The Terminator might have dated effects, but its social worth and value as a story haven't waned one bit. It was actually a surprisingly layered story, touching on humanity's burgeoning cyberization, our fear of our own creations, the omnipresent gloom of the Nuclear Age, and lots of other things. It was good science fiction, not just a good action movie.

i would not even say that the stop motion looks damn good for not being by Ray H

...... no it was both, one does not negate the other and every single action scene in the film is fantastic

Return to “Film and Video”