What would you change about cinema/film history?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

What would you change about cinema/film history?

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:56 pm

what would you change about cinema and entertainment history?

films/roles got different actors, directors for parts?, storyline and plot details altered to what you wished they where or where originally intended to be but where altered during production, films that where never made but should have been.

===========================================================

for me not in any order

1.) wish hammer productions had made a creature from the black lagoon / gill man movie during the height of there popularity and when they could afford to put the highest of budgets down on it.
we got 8ish dracula films, 7 frankenstein, 4 mummy and 1 werewolf films from them but no gillman.
would have had christopher lee, andre morell as the leads, i leave out peter cushing as i like lee just a little bit more and we never got to see morell and lee work together

2.) for the hammer / toho sea monster collaboration film Nessie to have been made

3.) for Ray harryhausen to not have retired after clash of the titans and went ahead and made force of the trojans at the least.

4.) for the original plan for the man in black from halloween 5 to have been made instead of the cult angle they went with (they originally intended him to be myers older brother)

5.) for godzilla vs biollante (89) to have been a success so toho could have continued to make more original and darker toned godzilla films instead of rehashing ghidorah / mothra & mechagodzilla again.

6.) for the stan winston american godzilla film to have been made instead of the crap we got in 98

7&8) if the 98 film still happened I would have the awesome animated series that followed to have gone on longer than it did and if my #6 wish did happen i wish that film got a animated series like the 98 film by the same people with just as good if not better quality.

9.) For the rebuild movies to have been just a little more in depth character wise so people could not say they are just flash and no substance (I personally do not think that is the case I just wish others didn't ether)

10.) For 3.0 to have been more well liked

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:08 am

Terry Gilliam to have directed Watchmen.

Superman Lives to have not fallen into production hell.

Stanley Kubrick to have lived long enough to properly direct AI.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:39 am

I wish Bryan Singer had direceted X-Men 3/Last Stand as opposed to doing Superman Returns. I weep when I think about the movie that could have been: http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/mike-dougherty-explains-how-he-wouldve-written-x-men-3/

:raincloud:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:11 am

I'd have all the current run of superhero movies being made about 25 years sooner, when I would have enjoyed them.

Oh, and Jodorowsky's Dune.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Obligatory mention for STAR WARS. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:11 am

I suppose someone has to mention this.

May he R.I.P.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:47 am

That Ridley Scott made Prometheus the way he originally wanted, meaning a clear and obvious prequel to Alien that also have all the extra scenes that explains much of the crew's stupid actions, instead of listening to Damon Lindelof's stupid idea to remove everything that make it a prequel to Alien (except the final scene) and butcher all the characters into a bunch of retards because according to "Mr LOST" it would work better that way.

Read the original script, that was fuel for something awesome! Why did it had to be transformed into such a turd! :soapbox:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:34 am

How about Kubrick and Satoshi Kon not being dead? That would be a good start.

The movie "The Land Before Time" withouth the cuts would also be nice. I bet they trew it all in some garbage can, the bastards.

Oh, and a good one would be no more Superhero movies. Man, that got boring fast.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:35 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I'd have all the current run of superhero movies being made about 25 years sooner, when I would have enjoyed them.

why can't you enjoy them now?

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:That Ridley Scott made Prometheus the way he originally wanted, meaning a clear and obvious prequel to Alien that also have all the extra scenes that explains much of the crew's stupid actions, instead of listening to Damon Lindelof's stupid idea to remove everything that make it a prequel to Alien (except the final scene) and butcher all the characters into a bunch of retards because according to "Mr LOST" it would work better that way.

Read the original script, that was fuel for something awesome! Why did it had to be transformed into such a turd! :soapbox:

agree it should have been a clear cut prequel to alien, but other than
- taking helmet off in alien environment
- trying to pet alien cobra
what did the cast do that was really that retarded?

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:1.) The movie "The Land Before Time" withouth the cuts would also be nice. I bet they trew it all in some garbage can, the bastards.

2.) Oh, and a good one would be no more Superhero movies. Man, that got boring fast.

1.) was unaware it was that severely edited
2.) really? don't like em don't watch em, is it really that bothersome to see the trailers for them before you see a movie in theaters? no reason they should not be available for others to see. :uhh:

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 am

It would have been awesome if Kubrick had been able to make his Napoleon film.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:33 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:agree it should have been a clear cut prequel to alien, but other than
- taking helmet off in alien environment
- trying to pet alien cobra
what did the cast do that was really that retarded?

Actually the petting the cobra part gets an explanation in Ridley's original script: the bespectacled one has an inferiority complex toward the punk, thinking that he's cool and manly, and want to look cool toward him by approaching the mutant cobra, and when the punk tells him that he should, there's a line added where glasses explain that their suits are armored to resist lots of punishment and that a simple animal like that "snake" can't have the bite force to break his suit... great error (and ofc not taking into account the super acid blood) but at least they both look reasonably less retarded.

Now for the other errors:
- the Precursors leaving in Earth graffitis with the coordinates of their sensible biologic military facility from where they intends to launch their operation to wipe out mankind. (IIRC the original script explains that)

- the same duo getting lost in the first place (IIRC in the original script they changed plans and wanted to explore the caves to see if they find traces of valuable minerals, since one of them is a geologist, and they ventured in a part that the drones didn't mapped)

- the heroine deciding to cut herself open when she learns of the parasite in her instead of asking others for help or even warning them of what's happening to her and what she plans to do.

- the same girl deciding to not warn anyone about the fact she just cut herself open and that there's an alien mutant squid roaming int he lab. (by the way how can she even walk or even run with her abdominal muscles cut!?)

- the two girls running in straight line from the crescent-shaped spaceship rolling toward them instead of just running 10 fucking steps on the sides!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:21 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:- the heroine deciding to cut herself open when she learns of the parasite in her instead of asking others for help or even warning them of what's happening to her and what she plans to do.

- the same girl deciding to not warn anyone about the fact she just cut herself open and that there's an alien mutant squid roaming int he lab. (by the way how can she even walk or even run with her abdominal muscles cut!?)

- no the robot and the other workers where aware that the parasite was inside her and they intended to take it back to earth while still inside her, they tried to sedate her to force her to let it remain inside.
- they tried to keep a alien baby inside her, fuck em, and she was unaware of its size groath it was just a baby sized one when she left it in the lab if i recall correctly.
- human endurance

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:46 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Read the original script, that was fuel for something awesome!

You've piqued my curiosity, is that script available somewhere?

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:20 pm

At some point in the sixties, there was going to be a Lord of the Rings movie. Starring the Beatles. Ringo would have been Frodo, Paul would be Samwise, George would be Gandalf and John would be...Gollum.

I don't know the details but I think it just came down to the Tolkein estate owning the rights and it being kind of a thorny legal thing. Even though I think the Peter Jackson LOTR movies are the closest you could possibly get to the source material, I would LOVE to see the Beatles version. At the very least, it would be trippy as balls :lol:
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:41 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:You've piqued my curiosity, is that script available somewhere?

Here you have.
The script as originally written by Jon Spaihts, originally called Alien: Engineers. (fuck, even the title sounds cooler!)
Warning, it's pretty long (117 pages), there are probably resumes of the main differences around the net if you prefer.

The snake was originally a sort of centipede no larger than a human thumb, explaining why Milburn wasn't afraid. Then the thing opened its mouth.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:20 pm

- Orson Welles not being rammed up the ass by Hollywood after Citizen Kane

- In particular Orson Welles succesfully maintaining his right for final cut of The Magnificent Ambersons

- In particular Orson Welles succesfully maintaining his right for final cut of The Magnificent Ambersons

- If that was unfeasible AT LEAST DON'T FUCKING DESTROY REELS YOU CUNTS so that it could've got restoration like one Touch of Evil had

- What I said about The Magnificent Ambersons goes also for The Lady from Shanghai

also

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Oh, and Jodorowsky's Dune.

THIS SO MUCH.

Speaking of Dune and Welles... :rofl:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:13 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:why can't you enjoy them now?
Because I've achieved Grumpy Old Git status in the interim, mainly.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:54 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Because I've achieved Grumpy Old Git status in the interim, mainly.

If I have reached that status at 23 when it comes to superheroes what will I do when I reach your age. :|

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:52 pm

I would wish that John Hughes would release the "full" three-hour cut of Planes Trains and Automobiles.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:29 pm

- Chris Farley starring in that Fatty Arbuckle biopic

- Adam Sandler playing The Bear Jew in Inglourious Basterds as originally intended.

- Spielberg directing Return of the Jedi and all of the prequels.

- Everything Xard said about Welles

- Kubrick's Napoleon

- Paul Verhoeven and Arnold Schwarzenegger's Crusade
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:19 pm

I wouldn't mind living in an alternate universe where Akira and Ghost in a Shell were box office smashes. In this universe, the average person doesn't see anime as "children's cartoons."
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Return to “Film and Video”