Anno's Animator Expo

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Anno's Animator Expo

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:39 pm

Well, Studio Khara and DWANGO, but Anno's name is all over it -- http://animatorexpo.com/

Hideaki Anno announced at the Tokyo International Film Festival's The World of Hideaki Anno event on Sunday that his studio Khara and the media company Dwango are launching Animator Expo, a weekly series of anime shorts. The initiative will offer new animators more exposure to a worldwide audience.

'We planned this short film project for believing in the pursuit and exploitation of fun of images that Japanese animation has, deepening and diversity of flexible expression, understanding and exploitation of inidivisual talents, and the dreams and possibilies to the future, which are inherent in Japanese anima(tor)s.
I appreciate your kind support and approval with this small resistance as many as possible.'

Hideaki Anno, Studio Khara

One new short will stream every week for a planned total of 30 shorts, ranging from original projects and spinoffs to promotional videos and music videos. Each episode will be streamed for free via a dedicated iOS/Android app and on the niconico service. There are no plans for a commercial release at this stage.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:59 am

They added the first short yesterday with English subtitles.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 pm

So I've forgotten about the first few and while checking the twitters today saw that the newest one is up so what the hell, might as well have a watch since I'm bored.

Sweet baby jesus was I not prepared. This falls firmly into WTF DID I JUST WATCH territory

http://animatorexpo.com/

What the site doesn't mention is that this short is NSFW because ass, titties, nipples, massive mons shots, clit piercings, twerking, gore and etc.

Also Eva cameo  SPOILER: Show

Yay figures!!!

HOLY SHIT IS THAT A MODEL KIT BOX FOR BEAST MODE NIGOUKI!? DO WAAAAAAAANT

Spoiler spoiler  SPOILER: Show

"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Holy Crap thank you TM, I thought this was out tommorrow. As for Evangelion cameo's well I have something that tops you.

This was part of the promo for the entire expo, and I honestly can't believe I haven't seen anyone talk about this.

This means we could be getting a 3.0+1.0 Teaser soon!
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:10 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:
SPOILER: Show

What is this? Night at the Museum from Hell?

Edit:
After Watching it, all I can say is. WHAT THE (Bleep) did I just watch? Breasts do not bounce like that! What is this? WHAT IS THIS!?

Is it meant to be a deconstruction? What is this?
Last edited by Ray on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:15 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:This means we could be getting a 3.0+1.0 Teaser soon!

No.

This is a completely unrelated effort that exists for a completely different reason. Showing a promotion for an existing franchise into this completley defeats the purpose of this Animator Expo as a project to foster and promote new talent. See Anno's statement at the top of the thread.

Whatever promotion you get for Shin will be done directly, not by some roundabout way.

Whatever Eva-related things this has is for shits and giggles by the people involved, not for promotion.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 pm

The initiative will offer new animators more exposure to a worldwide audience.

One new short will stream every week for a planned total of 30 shorts, ranging from original projects and spinoffs to promotional videos and music videos. Each episode will be streamed for free via a dedicated iOS/Android app and on the niconico service.

Well I guess I took a different message from this then.

As for "ME!ME!ME!" well lets just say that...
We've reached FLCL levels.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Someone get Chuckman over here.

Also:

I never thought I'd see something released from Anno's company that would so closely resemble snowballing.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Whoever directed this was on. . . something.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:49 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Whoever directed this was on. . . something.

Ray, this is Japan we are talking about here, that doesn't have to be the case. :rolleyes:

They've got some interesting stuff going on. And I liked the
FPS part.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:01 pm

Is it meant to be a condemnation or celebration of the 'Waifu obsessed' otaku?

Also that moment where

She pukes. . .whatever the hell that was into his mouth. Made me gag at the squick.

:urk:

The Gratuitous Nip and Clit Piercings didn't help much either.

I'm not so much of a prude that I object to such things in my movies. But this stuff really pushes my buttons and I can't say why.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Visually impressive.

I think I enjoyed this short... if it's satire. If it's satire it's a genuine prank on male fans in their late teens & twenties who view women as objects, girlfriends as things to be saved & women as a collective of strange, antagonistic others who get together solely to indoctrinate "good women" into their cause & attack men.

If it's just a bunch of cool shit the director/animators wanted to do then I like it a great deal less.

So the short is either hilarious over-the-top satire. OR Beautifully animated misogyny.

Can't tell yet.... but the Eva cast - females only - decked out in their 2.0 gear (which is the intentionally misogynistic entry of the new series that is then perfectly subverted & taken down by the feminist 3.0) leads me to lean more towards satire.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:07 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:
She pukes. . .whatever the hell that was into his mouth. Made me gag at the squick.

You have so much left to learn when it comes to fetishes :fap:

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:32 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Also that moment where

Again: Snowballing.

Wikipedia will help you with this, they've even included a rather lovingly illustrated example.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:35 pm

I remember learning all about snowballing as a kid when I sneakily borrowed my older sister's Blockbuster rented copy of Clerks for a few hours.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Finished watching this. I thought it was pretty damn good-- if this is what we can see from Khara in the future, I'll be throwing a lot of cash at them.

EDIT: I'm watching the other front page vids as well. Just finished Hill Climb Girl-- I'm not sure how big a fan I am of the rampant CG flying around. Sometimes Nuke wants him some good ol' hand-drawn animu.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:57 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:
Spoiler spoiler  SPOILER: Show

Can I post that gif on my tumblr? I'll credit you.

BTW, obviously this one is the first to get people talking lol.

I'm watching the other front page vids as well. Just finished Hill Climb Girl-- I'm not sure how big a fan I am of the rampant CG flying around. Sometimes Nuke wants him some good ol' hand-drawn animu.

Same here.

BTW, the promotional videos and openings are really cool, all directed by Anno. And Hiroyuki Imaishi participated in them as animator.
Also Tsurumaki was the animation director in Dragon Dentist. Don't know anybody else.
Well, I know Hayashibara and Yamadera obviously. I hope they appear in every short. :D
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:03 pm

How is everyone watching this? I can't view it on chrome or firefox.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:03 pm

Watched video 1, Dragon Dentist. A little hard to follow-- it looked nice enough, I suppose, but it wasn't anything to make me ooh and ahh over.

@Fireball: I'm on firefox as well, so I'm not sure what specific problem you're having.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:06 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Watched video 1, Dragon Dentist. A little hard to follow-- it looked nice enough, I suppose, but it wasn't anything to make me ooh and ahh over.

Dragon Dentist, I had to watch it twice, thank god for subs, animation was great and the theme is pretty nice too.

@FireBall Odd that you can't view it on Chrome, since I can, try using this link:

http://animatorexpo.com/mememe/

Also at the top right of the screen is a translation to english for the entire website, maybe that's the problem?

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”