Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Controversial Anime Opinions

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:10 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:Don't know if it's agreed among here, but Elfen Lied is a hot pile of pretentious shit.

I've never watched it; I'm told that the manga tells the story much more competently than the anime does.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Retro Chocolate
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Retro Chocolate » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:55 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:I've never watched it; I'm told that the manga tells the story much more competently than the anime does.

It's not really that the manga tells it more competently. It's just that the Anime never actually gets to the good part of the manga. The second half of the manga was significantly better than the first half, and the anime only adapts the first half. The main problem with the manga is the art. It gets way better by the end, but the art at the beginning just sucks. That and the last chapter, which takes place 4 months after the rest of the manga, was total BS and I refuse to except that it happened. Remember that guy who tragically died saving the one girl? Well it turns out, he's alive! Remember how the MCs cousin had a weird incestuous crush on the MC? Well here's the MCs kid, who looks suspiciously like the cousin. They also heavily imply that the character that sacrifices herself in chapter 107 is resurrected as a little girl who has the ideal life that she wanted. The ending is way too happy for the tone of Elfen Lied and ruins way too many sad moments from the series. And the cousin thing is just weird.
"That's not it at all. Trying to go on living is different than trying to escape fear. Those who acted in order to live until the end, without losing themselves to fear and what was happening around them, are the ones who survived properly. We don't know what "God" is thinking, but both fortune and misfortune are thrust upon people. Even so, people exist within a domain that is theirs in which to act."
-Luca, Berserk

"Surely, a true Buster Machine pilot, the real Nono-Riri, would have a Buster Machine in the heart!!" BUSTER BEAM SLASH!!!
-Nono, Diebuster

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:30 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:(Also, although this is the anime thread, have you read the manga? As so often happens, the ending is much more fleshed out.)

Maybe. I've got much more manga I want read, so I'll put Elfen Lied on a low priority list.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:02 am

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:Maybe. I've got much more manga I want read, so I'll put Elfen Lied on a low priority list.

It is worth your time. I haven't read many stories that had the emotional gut punch of the end of the EL manga.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:39 am

Almost all of Hiroyuki Imaishi's work actually confuses me even more than Evangelion and this is Evangelion we are talking about. This maybe a side effect of Evangelion being my first foray into Gainax but Imaishi seesm to enjoy employing psychological experiments and frantic animation to confuse and even annoy me. I don't what he is doing but it is working somehow.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Dildry
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dildry » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:43 pm

View Original PostGAP wrote:Almost all of Hiroyuki Imaishi's work actually confuses me even more than Evangelion and this is Evangelion we are talking about. This maybe a side effect of Evangelion being my first foray into Gainax but Imaishi seesm to enjoy employing psychological experiments and frantic animation to confuse and even annoy me. I don't what he is doing but it is working somehow.

I only know him from Trigger? He seems straightforward to me. Directing series like Kill La Kill.
You dare mock the son of a sheperd - Sheperds Son

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:27 am

View Original PostDildry wrote:I only know him from Trigger? He seems straightforward to me. Directing series like Kill La Kill.

It is just that his shows pour so much information that it makes brain hurt and I need to rewatch in order to 'get' it. Dead Leaves confuses me but I probably don't have a lot of life experience or need to read college level books to get.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:16 pm

Dead Leaves is really cringey and does nothing for me. His other three main shows are much, much better.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:09 am

Here's a (potentially) controversial opinion:

All anime nerdcore is unlistenable garbage.

Anyone disagree?

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:33 am

Even Evangelion?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:01 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Here's a (potentially) controversial opinion:

Anyone disagree?

I don't know what nerdcore is, so can't usefully comment.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:16 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't know what nerdcore is, so can't usefully comment.

Basically, it's a sub genre of rap/hip hop. Nerd rap/hip hop.

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Even Evangelion?

Especially Evangelion. You know, because I care, and I always want to hear good Eva fan music.

So far, I think this is the only tolerable Eva nerdcore song I've heard:

Here at the End of the World (Shinji's Monologue) by the bedfordstrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7yWoKV1_VY

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:32 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Here's a (potentially) controversial opinion:

Anyone disagree?

No, you're entirely correct, its just *shudder* bad...
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:52 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Basically, it's a sub genre of rap/hip hop. Nerd rap/hip hop.

Oh, that crap. In that case you are entirely correct, and I don't believe your estimation is controversial in the slightest.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:55 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Basically, it's a sub genre of rap/hip hop. Nerd rap/hip hop.

Doesn't "Nerdcore" encompass basically any genre of music homaging something nerdy?

I mean back in the late 80s we had death metal nerdcore referencing Warhammer 40,000. And it was GLORIOUS.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:52 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Doesn't "Nerdcore" encompass basically any genre of music homaging something nerdy?

As far as I know, nerdcore specifically refers to the music genre.

Per Wikipedia:

Nerdcore is a genre of hip hop music characterized by themes and subject matter considered to be of general interest to nerds.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:16 am

Rap music -- in general, it's a rare instance of the silent 'c' in the English language.

View Original PostGAP wrote:Almost all of Hiroyuki Imaishi's work actually confuses me even more than Evangelion
Apart from EoE being "WTF did I just watch?" due simply to the density with which content is presented, Evangelion isn't that bad. But even when I was just starting out with anime, I found Imaishi's work just too "wacky" or "off-the-wall" for my tastes, even before I knew it was him. Gurren Lagann is the only thing with his fingerprints all over that I've actually liked.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:22 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Here's a (potentially) controversial opinion:

Anyone disagree?

The thought of a terrible rapper bragging about how much he wants to fuck Rei with a terrible mash-up beat of Eva music ends shivers down my spine.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:19 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Rap music -- in general, it's a rare instance of the silent 'c' in the English language.

Consider that sigged.

Anyway, (not so) controversial opinion time: A lot of anime that rely heavily on CGI alongside standard animation would be better off going fully 3D. Obviously it won't stop plain shoddy animation from ruining a series (Berserk 2016, I'm looking at you) but done well it can look good, and IMO looks a lot better than 2D mixed with 3D.

While we're on the subject of CGI, whilst I haven't watched any Macross in full beyond the original series and DYRL, from what little I've seen of the other series (mostly clips) the CGI in those series drags the rest of the series down, at least aesthetically. Now granted, a lot of what they use CGI for would be nigh-on impossible to accomplish in 2D, like some of the dogfights and transformation schemes, but from what I've seen I wish they would, for example, use more "anime-like" shading on the 3D models so they stuck out a bit less than the fairly shiny, somewhat video-gamey models they used.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:42 am

Anyone disagree?

I would make an exception for Mc Frontalot, but I've only heard 2 of his songs and found them mostly creatively inoffensive to me, so I can't say that I know a lot about the genre. I could also go into the difference in songs about being a nerd as opposed to songs that simply touch upon nerdy shows, but again, there's only 2 songs that I've heard and such.

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Here at the End of the World (Shinji's Monologue) by the bedfordstrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7yWoKV1_VY

Yeah, that song is intolerable. What little of Mc Frontalot I've heard was him rapping about being a nerd. Rapping about a whole show seems kind of stupid. It's not really the artist's own experience that's being conveyed here, and it just comes off as some giant internet forum rant.

Eh.... oh well. I don't know enough to defend the genre, and I don't care enough about it to bother listening to more of it.

Return to “Anime and Manga”