シン, FINAL, :||, or 3.0 + 1.0?

The fate of SPOILERS is also the joy of speculation.
Readers enter at their own risk.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Now you are looking too deep into it.

Why does Eva always have to be tragedy?
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Sgt. Griff
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:06 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Now you are looking too deep into it.

Pfft, this is Eva.
I'm writing music or studying law. It's all very unclear at this point.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:10 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Why does Eva always have to be tragedy?

Never, since it never was a tragedy.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

JonnyNova
Embryo

Postby JonnyNova » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:14 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Why does Eva always have to be tragedy?

EoTV is certainly not a tragedy.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:46 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Reichu : I know that there are soundtracks like "Sin from Genesis" (aka The Beast II reworked) but the idea that the "Shin" in question is the English word "Sin" seems more than a little out-of-context to me. Not impossible, just weird even by the standards of the movies so far.

Well, Anno has always been really good at using actual English when he wants to incorporate an English meaning in any of his episode titles. The Japanese title "アスカ、来日” (“Asuka Arrives in Japan”) is given the English title “Asuka Strikes” in the last half of the episode. So it could be that if Anno meant the Enlgish word for “Sin,” then he would have used the English word “Sin.”

That being said, the Japanese Eva titles “The Beast That Shouted ‘Love’ (pronounced in Japanese as the English word ‘I’) at the Heart of the World” or “Love is (I [am]) Destructive” could be considered a play on duel languages. So I guess that anything’s possible.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:19 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:So it could be that if Anno meant the Enlgush word for “Sin,” then he would have used the English word “Sin.”

But then it wouldn't be able to also represent the various usual Japanese meanings of "shin".

(And yes, "The Beast That Shouted AI at the Heart of the World" has "AI" in katakana so that it can be read as either "I" or "love".)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Why wouldn't they just use the native word for sin if they wanted to say it?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:16 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Why wouldn't they just use the native word for sin
Anno is an incorrigible punster. If he can do some katakana wordplay to squeeze in an extra reading or two of the same glyphs, he will. Recall, the official name of the first NGE movie was written シト新生 as opposed to a "just use the native word" 死と新生.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Amamiya Manami (b. 30-Aug-2018)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:27 pm

Sasuga Anno, I guess. It just makes it more confusing for us until we get more info.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Yay for Eva confusion! It’s just what the series needs right now.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Confusing? Not necessarily. Like Tines pointed out, Anno is a notorious punster, and the "Shin"=="Sin" pun is perfectly possible (although I'm still a little skeptical about it). All the known Japanese meanings of "Shin" apply. We're getting confused only because we're looking for one single meaning/theme, rather than accepting the possibility of multiple themes or layers of meaning, something that Anno is known for.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX.
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:49 pm

Although, at this point in the game, it would be like giving somebody the Japanese character し and asking them to extrapolate the meaning from it. There are plenty of things that it could mean, yeah, but there's no context given to interpret the answer.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:36 pm

We're not that clueless, since we have the previous three movies and the established thematic structure of this movie series to give us a direction, along with the rest of the title. If you really want context to interpret the answer in its entirety, you'd have to watch 4.0 when it comes out.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX.
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:11 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Although, at this point in the game, it would be like giving somebody the Japanese character し and asking them to extrapolate the meaning from it. There are plenty of things that it could mean, yeah, but there's no context given to interpret the answer.

Anno has in fact thrown a katakana shi into a title before (「最後のシ者」), and there was plenty enough context to figure out what it meant (Final Messenger/Casualty/Nagisa). Being able to actually watch the thing attached to the title helps a great deal with interpreting it. :p

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:22 pm

Oooooooooooooooh. That's actually pretty useful. :chinscratch:

Adaminator1
Lilith

Postby Adaminator1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:52 pm

I vote for just calling it Shin and be done with it. This is like the only thing I'd be comfortable calling in romanized english because of how obtuse it is. (Shingeki No Kyojin can eat my ass. It's Attack on Titan, goddamnit.).
I finally put something here!

Bagheera
Banned

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Shin Eva is both simple and accurate, and it's apparently what the Japanese community and the creators are using as well. I see no reason to go with anything else.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:10 pm

I'll just call it "The End of the Rebuild of Evangelion" for the funsies.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:53 am

So, Shin Eva it is?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sgt. Griff
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sgt. Griff » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:39 am

End Shingeki no Rebuild Evangerion 3.0+1.0

Shin Eva sounds fantastic.
I'm writing music or studying law. It's all very unclear at this point.

Return to “Evangelion Final [SPOILERS]”