The Eva 3.0+1.0 Title

The fate of SPOILERS is also the joy of speculation.
Readers enter at their own risk.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:34 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:But this doesn't explain why "orange tanks it"... he gave no reason for that, besides "primary colors".


Look: I was responding to a post claiming the colors were about the color spectrum. But on the site NGE is black, Jo is magenta, Ha is orange, Q is cyan, and Final is white. If Ha had been green or yellow it would have all fit together nicely, but since it's orange the pattern is thrown off. Black is no color, magenta and cyan are primary colors, white is all colors. Orange is not a primary color so it doesn't fit. That's all I was saying.

tl;dr: it's not about the color spectrum, the colors mean something else.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 538
Joined: Oct 09, 2008
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby qu4d » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:49 am

You are ignoring the 14 year gap between 2.22 and 3.33.

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:10 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:You are ignoring the 14 year gap between 2.22 and 3.33.


What does that have to do with whether or not the DVD box cover colors represent the color spectrum? It's not related at all.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 538
Joined: Oct 09, 2008
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby qu4d » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:19 am

Of course it is related, if they go by that logic. You dismiss that correlation for no reason. I already said that it fits the timeline. You say it doesn't without any argument.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 6874
Joined: Feb 26, 2013
Location: France
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:53 am

Oh FFS you're not gonna start here too! :irked:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:20 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Of course it is related, if they go by that logic. You dismiss that correlation for no reason. I already said that it fits the timeline. You say it doesn't without any argument.


I literally have no idea what you're talking about.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 73
Posts: 10236
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:25 am

The idea that the gap in the spectrum between Ha and Q (no green or yellow) corresponds with the timeskip. However, as the last film is being characterised as white rather than blue or violet, this theory (that the colours follow a spectral order) is already broken.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Celebrating Radio Eva at 10 (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:34 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The idea that the gap in the spectrum between Ha and Q (no green or yellow) corresponds with the timeskip. However, as the last film is being characterised as white rather than blue or violet, this theory (that the colours follow a spectral order) is already broken.


Ah, I see. That's an odd stance to take, but at least I understand the reasoning now.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 538
Joined: Oct 09, 2008
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby qu4d » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:42 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The idea that the gap in the spectrum between Ha and Q (no green or yellow) corresponds with the timeskip. However, as the last film is being characterised as white rather than blue or violet, this theory (that the colours follow a spectral order) is already broken.


I would call it "already broken" yet. We haven't seen a single frame of the movie. Who knows what's going to happen?

@Bagheera
You didn't understand this? You even took part in that discussion yourself.

Image

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14036/red-orange-cyan-/40/?

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:49 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:I would call it "already broken" yet. We haven't seen a single frame of the movie. Who knows what's going to happen?


Since we have Final's color now I think it's safe to say it's dead in the water.

@Bagheera
You didn't understand this? You even took part in that discussion yourself.


That was a year ago, and you brought it up out of nowhere in response to a post about primary colors. It's not really related.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 538
Joined: Oct 09, 2008
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby qu4d » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:54 am

I brought it up out of nowhere? It was part of the discussion and I replied to your "primary colors" argument, because it didn't make sense in your "rule" that you came up with (that they have to be primary colors)... which seems that you didn't even consider, that your assumption might be wrong. I explained that multiple times in this thread and you ignored that. Not a single response. You didn't even bother to ask when you didn't understand that.

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:01 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:I brought it up out of nowhere? It was part of the discussion and I replied to your "primary colors" argument, because it didn't make sense in your "rule" that you came up with (that they have to be primary colors)... which seems that you didn't even consider, that your assumption might be wrong. I explained that multiple times in this thread and you ignored that. Not a single response. You didn't even bother to ask when you didn't understand that.


I asked three times on this page alone, dude. And yeah, I forgot about the spectrum theory, but since we know Final's white it seems to be dead now. I don't see the point of arguing about it in light of that.

Edit: actually, let me revise this. Since I'd forgotten about the color spectrum theory my earlier comments re: primary colors don't even make sense, which means I'm the one who derailed the thread, just as you said. So, sorry about that. I wasn't trying to ignore you or blow you off, I just didn't understand the context you were speaking from until Paul clarified it above. Sorry about the hostility, real or perceived.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FluffyBunny
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 62
Joined: Oct 30, 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FluffyBunny » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Useless observations
- It would've been cool to have cyan,magenta,yellow represent Q, Jo, Ha
- But cyan+magenta+yellow = black, not white (subtractive model -- e.g. printer ink)
- In the additive model on the other hand, red+green+blue = white (LED lights)
- Red, green, blue are on the color spectrum but magenta isn't -- it's a primary color in the subtractive color model.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 73
Posts: 10236
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:02 pm

And orange is a perfectly good spectral colour even if it's not a primary colour in the three-colour models.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Celebrating Radio Eva at 10 (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:18 pm

View Original PostFluffyBunny wrote:Useless observations
- It would've been cool to have cyan,magenta,yellow represent Q, Jo, Ha
- But cyan+magenta+yellow = black, not white (subtractive model -- e.g. printer ink)
- In the additive model on the other hand, red+green+blue = white (LED lights)
- Red, green, blue are on the color spectrum but magenta isn't -- it's a primary color in the subtractive color model.


That's a really good point. I was thinking Ha should have been yellow, but as you note that would result in black, not white. Maybe the idea was to break NGE into its primary colors, then color shift them and remix them to get Final! :lol: But of course orange isn't primary for either model so that's right out anyway.

Also worth noting that the additive colors of each group are the secondary colors of the other. So green and red make yellow, red and blue make magenta, and blue and green make cyan. Similarly, yellow and magenta make red, magenta and cyan make blue, and cyan and yellow make green. So it's all on the spectrum, but it's just a question of where you're setting your markers for your primary colors.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:And orange is a perfectly good spectral colour even if it's not a primary colour in the three-colour models.


Well of course. I'm not sure there's any meaning to it anyway.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 8223
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:25 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well of course. I'm not sure there's any meaning to it anyway.

I always thought the orange color was a representation of the mysterious Pattern Orange from the franchise. Not that it would have any inherent greater significance if that was the reasoning behind the color choice.

Jäeger
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Age: 38
Posts: 414
Joined: Jul 07, 2014
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Jäeger » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Has somebody said that in Japanese culture "4" means DEATH ans is usually avoided in movie titles???
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by its side???

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 21
Posts: 1143
Joined: Aug 12, 2014
Location: United States
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:39 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Has somebody said that in Japanese culture "4" means DEATH ans is usually avoided in movie titles???


Well I am gonna put a no to this answer, if that is true, and I have no reason to say it's not, that explains the reason why it was never officially called 4.0.

Edit- I don't watch Japanese movies so, no.
Last edited by Sicarius VI on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Jäeger
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Age: 38
Posts: 414
Joined: Jul 07, 2014
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Jäeger » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:04 pm

From the wikipedia

There are several unlucky numbers in Japanese. Traditionally, 4 and 9 are unlucky. Four is sometimes pronounced shi, which is also the word for death.[4] Nine is also sometimes pronounced ku, which can mean suffering. 13 is also occasionally thought of as unlucky, although this is imported from Western culture. Because of these unlucky numbers, sometimes levels or rooms with 4 or 9 don't exist in hospitals or hotels, and particularly in the maternity section of a hospital, the room number 43 is avoided because it can literally mean "still birth". Therefore, when giving gifts such as sets of plates, they are normally sets of three or five, never four.[2]


Another proof that people overanalyze things
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by its side???

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:50 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Has somebody said that in Japanese culture "4" means DEATH ans is usually avoided in movie titles???

It's generally just avoided, period.


Return to “Evangelion 3.0+1.0 [SPOILERS]”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests