[LAEM] What happens if they butcher it?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:44 pm

You know whats the biggest thing holding this back that will suck abut the inevitable live action film?

This movie would need a budget north of $150 million and made entirerly to start a franchise and there's no way in hell a studio would finance a picture like that with anyone like Shinji in the lead. Shinji's a dividing character and doesn't really embody the absolute best in people. I mean if the first movie was to do what R'Eva is doing and end at the Ramiel battle there's no way they'd keep it the same. The action climax has the male lead being PROTECTED by a chick.

Live action Shinji would be a whole different character entirerly. Looserly a but but movie loosery. You know, that guy who women actually find hot and is actually really cool but just says a few stupid Hollywood goofy lines.

Thats what I'd miss the most in Live Action Eva. Shinji wouldn't be the self-hating, emasculated kid we all know and love/hate. He'd be some funny pretty boy who by the end of Movie 1 has proven himself to be the ultimate badass and will have some hot chick on his arms.

Making sweet love to her on top of his Eva/Mother. Ring any bells?

Who else was bugged by Sam getting some loving on top (AND IN) Bumblebee?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:18 am

Maybe they'll make him more like manga-Shinji.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:27 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:You know whats the biggest thing holding this back that will suck abut the inevitable live action film?

This movie would need a budget north of $150 million and made entirerly to start a franchise and there's no way in hell a studio would finance a picture like that with anyone like Shinji in the lead. Shinji's a dividing character and doesn't really embody the absolute best in people. I mean if the first movie was to do what R'Eva is doing and end at the Ramiel battle there's no way they'd keep it the same. The action climax has the male lead being PROTECTED by a chick.

Live action Shinji would be a whole different character entirerly. Looserly a but but movie loosery. You know, that guy who women actually find hot and is actually really cool but just says a few stupid Hollywood goofy lines.

Thats what I'd miss the most in Live Action Eva. Shinji wouldn't be the self-hating, emasculated kid we all know and love/hate. He'd be some funny pretty boy who by the end of Movie 1 has proven himself to be the ultimate badass and will have some hot chick on his arms.

Making sweet love to her on top of his Eva/Mother. Ring any bells?

Who else was bugged by Sam getting some loving on top (AND IN) Bumblebee?

I say wait until the fat lady sings, I don't doubt Shinji will be somewhat different from how he is in the anime, that's unavoidable, but what you are suggesting is absurd, and completely contrary to what WETA has promised, this won't be like Transformers, nor is it being made the same way, so forget it.

As to the budget, again, it's $120 million, and that's more then enough.

One more thing, for damn sakes leave "manga Shinji" out of this, it's Hideaki Anno who's doing the advising NOT Sadamoto. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:47 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:This movie would need a budget north of $150 million and made entirerly to start a franchise and there's no way in hell a studio would finance a picture like that with anyone like Shinji in the lead. Shinji's a dividing character and doesn't really embody the absolute best in people. I mean if the first movie was to do what R'Eva is doing and end at the Ramiel battle there's no way they'd keep it the same. The action climax has the male lead being PROTECTED by a chick.

I think you're being far too cynical. It's not like all Hollywood movies have archetypal heroes, there are many movies that do well that have flawed characters - Mafia movies, The Departed, Gangs of New York etc. It's not like people won't go to see the movie because the main character has to be protected by a girl.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:36 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:One more thing, for damn sakes leave "manga Shinji" out of this, it's Hideaki Anno who's doing the advising NOT Sadamoto. 8)
And where did you hear that? Last I heard he had nothing to do with LAEM.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:14 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:This movie would need a budget north of $150 million and made entirerly to start a franchise and there's no way in hell a studio would finance a picture like that with anyone like Shinji in the lead. Shinji's a dividing character and doesn't really embody the absolute best in people.

So true.

I mean if the first movie was to do what R'Eva is doing and end at the Ramiel battle there's no way they'd keep it the same. The action climax has the male lead being PROTECTED by a chick.

eh, I think it has more to do with audiences (US audiences) not knowing how to respond to a self-doubting emasculated adolescent. It has less to do with how the first film would end. Now, I haven't read any spoilers of rebuild, but if the ramiel battle ends with Shinji opening Rei's entry plug like in the on-air version, then that particular moment would likely go over well with American audiences. Despite all the uncertainty and wierd shit up to that point, its about the biggest happiest most warm moment in the whole of the NGE world.

If the producers feel they have to go that far with Shinji to make the movie profitable, then I doubt that it will be made at all.

I can't think of any good examples of movies where the leading role has the same kind of issues as Shinji, and if there were, I doubt that those movies were anywhere near as expensive as LAEM will be.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:13 pm

Do the math.

(~ "Good LAM" V "Pearl Harbor II")
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 pm

Hunter21 wrote:
Alaska Slim wrote:One more thing, for damn sakes leave "manga Shinji" out of this, it's Hideaki Anno who's doing the advising NOT Sadamoto. 8)
And where did you hear that? Last I heard he had nothing to do with LAEM.

What, you haven't heard about the contract signing last year? Where they, WETA, announced they were making a trilogy? Are you telling me, as empty as Trivial Being is right now, overall, the people who go there are better informed? Hmmm.... then again, that part of the site is dedicated to covering ELAM, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised...

slothen wrote:
Gendo'sPapa wrote:This movie would need a budget north of $150 million and made entirerly to start a franchise and there's no way in hell a studio would finance a picture like that with anyone like Shinji in the lead. Shinji's a dividing character and doesn't really embody the absolute best in people.

So true.

So not, you people just don't understand the mentality that exists at WETA about this, they want to make a proper homage, they want to respect the source material, and if the job is anything close to how well the LOTR trilogy turned out, then I for one will be one happy pooch, taill wag and all.

slothen wrote:eh, I think it has more to do with audiences (US audiences) not knowing how to respond to a self-doubting emasculated adolescent. It has less to do with how the first film would end. Now, I haven't read any spoilers of rebuild, but if the ramiel battle ends with Shinji opening Rei's entry plug like in the on-air version, then that particular moment would likely go over well with American audiences. Despite all the uncertainty and wierd shit up to that point, its about the biggest happiest most warm moment in the whole of the NGE world.

You are all acting as if the U.S. audience is the only one that matters here, why might I ask? For LOTR and Harry Potter, the majority of their grossage came from outside North America, why can't Eva do the same?

As to the "happiest moment", I would say that's when Shinji saved Asuka from falling into the volcano, but then again, that's just my opinion. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:29 am

WETA'S a special effects company.

I'm not saying anything bad about the special effects. It's a given that a Live Action Eva would do total props on the technical sides.

But so what. Effects should come secondary to story. I don't care what or how the Eva's would move. I know they'd look fantastic.

But its not the action that brings me back to Eva again and again but the humanity and characters.

As for having "rich diverse" leading roles, "Departed" and "GONY" are both Scorsese films and neither was dependent on creating a franchise. With a Live Action "Eva" the whole purpose is to find a way to bring people back. Shinji would become Peter Parker. Not that PP's a bag character he's just not Shinji.

P.S. That $120 million budget. HA! I'll believe it when I see it. In a sad day and age when movies are more disgustingly expensive than ever I'd love to see an epic Sci-fi film get done on FILM (not digital) for a small budget.
But nah, LAEM would be north of $150 mill.

P.S.S. I'm sure I read Anno washed his hands clean of any involvement in live action Eva. But then again that was before Rebuild....

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:02 am

@ Alaska Slim

I'm a huge LOTR fan and I have great faith in WETA, and I know how much they'd like to do an awesome huge job of LAEM. That said, refer to previous post by Gendou's Papa to see why thats all well and good, but ultimately not sufficient reason for some production company's board of director's to OK something like this.

Also, I have no idea how you can compare the characters in "The Departed" to what we'd get from Shinji as a main character.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:03 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote: Shinji's a dividing character and doesn't really embody the absolute best in people. I mean if the first movie was to do what R'Eva is doing and end at the Ramiel battle there's no way they'd keep it the same. The action climax has the male lead being PROTECTED by a chick.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:As for having "rich diverse" leading roles, "Departed" and "GONY" are both Scorsese films and neither was dependent on creating a franchise. With a Live Action "Eva" the whole purpose is to find a way to bring people back. Shinji would become Peter Parker. Not that PP's a bag character he's just not Shinji.

You're like, twelve, aren't you? Oh boy... :?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:02 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:You're like, twelve, aren't you? Oh boy... :?

wait...what?

MAL Profile

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:53 pm

I know all about WETA. My question was where did you hear that Anno was going to do anything more than collect a royalties check? I figure he will have as much to do with LAEM as he does with the GOS manga.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:51 am

Huh? 12? Does that make you 10? Did you have a point?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:19 am

Hunter21 wrote:I know all about WETA. My question was where did you hear that Anno was going to do anything more than collect a royalties check? I figure he will have as much to do with LAEM as he does with the GOS manga.

It was a part of the announcement, he signed the contract along with GAINAX in making the trilogy, and it was stated that he was to come on board as an advisor.

Mr. Anno is also now all chummy with Richard Taylor because they discovered they're both obessed with Old trains (Taylor apparently had same scale model train set in his back yard, which Mr. Anno was only too happy to play with).

slothen wrote:@ Alaska Slim

I'm a huge LOTR fan and I have great faith in WETA, and I know how much they'd like to do an awesome huge job of LAEM. That said, refer to previous post by Gendou's Papa to see why thats all well and good, but ultimately not sufficient reason for some production company's board of director's to OK something like this.

That said, it is sufficient reason, LOTR gave WETA much capital in producing a top 5 world grossing film trilogy, and like I've stated before, if they can sell on the idea that Eva is the LOTR of the East, no studio will deny the creative control they will ask for.

They, along with ADV, are raising the budget on their own anyway, and that's usually the biggest hold a studio can have on a film, it was by escaping that very hold how George Lucas got to keep his original intro while making Episode V (and also dropping out of the Directors and Screenwriters Guild, which too cost him a pretty penny, and not just in terms of money, he was unable to hire anyone within the guild afterwards, including his friend, Steven Spielberg). 8)

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:55 am

Alaska Slim wrote:It was a part of the announcement, he signed the contract along with GAINAX in making the trilogy, and it was stated that he was to come on board as an advisor.

Mr. Anno is also now all chummy with Richard Taylor because they discovered they're both obessed with Old trains (Taylor apparently had same scale model train set in his back yard, which Mr. Anno was only too happy to play with).

Ok now I know what you are talking about. A little warning, that announcement came from the mouth of Greenfield as he was making the rounds at the cons two years ago. I know this because I was at one of those cons. He was also saying they were going to announce a director very soon back then too. It's been two years. Make your own assumptions.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:25 pm

I'm just against it cause I can't see the emotional complexity of Evangelion carried over to live action when so much money (and ADV's big budget theatrical career) would be at jeopardy. GAINAX took a huge risk with where they took Eva in 1995/96 and back then GAINAX was on its last Yen. But with Eva they were still risking only what, maybe $10 million respectably (configured to yen of course)?

With a live action Eva it would be way norht of the $120 million stated, especially if they wanted to have a marketing campaign of any quality.

And like I said before, not worried about FX cause WETA are geniuses in that department. But LOTR was held together by Peter Jackson and his partners vision. If Richard Taylor and crew were left to their devices we'd have the entire history of the Evas and....some guy on screen.

Oh well, if ADV does pull off "Rehash of Evangelion" does anyone think they'd have the balls to keep the oh-so-homoerotic relationship between Kaworu and Shinji without trying to "masculine" it up?

P.S. I'm not some misguided fool who's speaking bad about the Eva movies in hopes they won't happen so I can get a shot at them. I've seen that mentioned like 50 times on this board and it gives me a chuckle each time.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:44 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Huh? 12? Does that make you 10? Did you have a point?

I'm sorry; that was childish of me. I was having a shitty day.

It's just that your ideas of inescapable clichés seem... so horribly cliché. It touches the eye like the "yeah" rants of a bunch of people who used to discuss the project back when it was announced; people who grabbed the broadest stereotypes about American films and treated them like forcefields which they could dually convert into a point and use to keep their bodies within the zone of conversation. ("Yeah" as in [negative hollywood tendencies] + Reply - "Yeah, that.") I tend to assume that most of the people who do this either kids, people who see nothing but terrible films, or just have the misfortune of coming off as either in their posts, usually made in haste. It's just a matter of likelihoods being endlessly reposted and me getting really tired of hearing them; each one sounds stupider and stupider every time no matter who points it out.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:53 pm

No worries. I just hate animosity towards other people on the internet. More so than anything little snide remarks and such are the greatest sign of immaturity on the beast that is the Interweb.

As for my general pessimism to REHASH OF EVANGELION, it may be unfounded but for me Eva has been an eye opener and has completely refreshed my film work and gotten me back on track. It's a powerful piece of work and is truly a work of art by Hideaki Anno. Thats why I'm not against Rebuild cause its still Anno's creation. All the other Eva stuff, the mangas, the games, the what nots don't interest.
And with a live action movie by other people I just can't shake off the feeling of it becoming nothing more than a chance to make some cash.
I'm just against the idea of Eva becoming nothing more than another souless summer blockbuster.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:31 pm

Hunter21 wrote:Ok now I know what you are talking about. A little warning, that announcement came from the mouth of Greenfield as he was making the rounds at the cons two years ago. I know this because I was at one of those cons. He was also saying they were going to announce a director very soon back then too. It's been two years. Make your own assumptions.

Hmm.... make this distinction for me first though, did they announce the Trilogy agreement at that point?

One more thing, due to an announcement made at the beginning of October, it's possible a director has been chosen now. 8)

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”