End of Eva: Why not leave from the start?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Eliaskar
Lilith

End of Eva: Why not leave from the start?

•      
  •      

Postby Eliaskar » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:15 pm

So at the beginning of the film we see that NERV has lost their jurisdiction and legal powers and been given a warning before being hacked by 5 other Magi from around the world. Now, I can see why Gendo and Fuyutsuki would want to prevent this and they want to go through with their plan. However, why wouldn't the Bridge guy's and all the standard staff just leave? Why did they put up a fight against the government when they've basically lost their jobs and jurisdiction?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Because they learned that barely a few minutes before said hacking and more importantly huge JSSDF assault started, it's not that NERV didn't wanted to leave, but that they didn't had the time to leave.

Beside the Japanese government was manipulated by SEELE into thinking that all of NERV was trying to start Third Impact, leading to the order for the JSSDF to kill everyone on sight, no matter if they were armed or not or if they surrendered. For the NERV staff is was a fight for survival.

Which was the perfect distraction Gendo needed to start his own version of Instrumentality with Rei. And then Rei backstabbed Gendo and everything went to hell for everyone.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:02 pm

Better question: Wwhy didn't Gendo try and kick off instrumentality right after Kaworu's death rather than waiting around a few days for no apparent reason?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:25 pm

According to estimates I've read, he actually launches 3I literally the day after Kaworu dies. Maybe he was just tired, or something.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:35 pm

We see Unit 01 go through some cleansing after Kaworu's death. I'm sure any Angel DNA needed to be purged from Unit 01 so as not to contaminate Instrumentality. It could be that it needed to take a full day to be cleansed, hense the wait.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:08 am

Just after the hospital scene, the bridge bunnies are shown discussing their situation: they say that all access to and from headquarters has been restricted since they are on first level alert (and probably have been since the Kaworu incident the day before). Now that all the Angels had been defeated and their jobs made obsolete, the bridge bunnies had no idea what was going to happen to them or the organization so they had just been waiting for orders, and then the attack happened. Gendo likely kept them on first level alert because he was expecting Seele's retaliation.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:30 am

View Original PostAtropos wrote:According to estimates I've read, he actually launches 3I literally the day after Kaworu dies. Maybe he was just tired, or something.

Nope. there's two full day/night cycles shown between 24 and 3I kicking off, and possible more that were simply not shown.

24 ends at night
EoE starts at the same place when it's light
Rei wakes up and in the middle of the night and leaves her apartment
Asuka's battle is in broad daylight
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:17 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Better question: Wwhy didn't Gendo try and kick off instrumentality right after Kaworu's death rather than waiting around a few days for no apparent reason?

He had to fill out all the forms and get the budget requests in order before SEELE denied them and came to murder them all. There are rules, here. We're not barbarians.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:38 pm

I still think Unit 01’s cleansing had something to do with it. You don’t want to screw up your perfect Impact because some Kaworu DNA got mixed in there somewhere, right?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:50 pm

Time out, we need to wash the Eva.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:56 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Better question: Wwhy didn't Gendo try and kick off instrumentality right after Kaworu's death rather than waiting around a few days for no apparent reason?

It's probably just final prep time. They had to recover Kaworu's soul, don't forget, and there were probably final adjustments that had to be made to Unit 01 before it was used for . . . whatever. A couple of days seems about right for that.

And of course, your question could be turned around: why didn't Seele attack immediately? They knew what was going on, so they could have dropped the hammer not one hour after Kaworu died. But they probably had similar issues, so.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:57 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I still think Unit 01’s cleansing had something to do with it. You don’t want to screw up your perfect Impact because some Kaworu DNA got mixed in there somewhere, right?

This seems pretty reasonable to me. Especially since Eva 01 receiving the stigmata was an important part of the process.

LordThaeon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby LordThaeon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:10 pm

My bigger question would by why they don't kill Adam/Lillith after all of the other angels are dead?

Then again, Gendo probably pulled strings to keep this idea from coming up.
FF Profile

"Please explain that again without insulting my intelligence."

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:33 pm

View Original PostLordThaeon wrote:My bigger question would by why they don't kill Adam/Lillith after all of the other angels are dead?

Then again, Gendo probably pulled strings to keep this idea from coming up.

Because that's not what Gendo nor Seele wants. If they were going to do that, they could've just done it from the beginning, could they not?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:34 am

Even if it wasn't part of their plan, they couldn't get rid of Lilith at the beginning: she's the only existing source of LCL, which is needed to create, maintain and heal Evas as well as for the pilots to synchronize with it, without it sure the Angels won't be able to trigger the Apocalypse, but they'll rather wander all around the world rampaging everything on sight, and try to stop Leliel, Arael of Zeruel without an Eva!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:42 am

Probably because you wouldn't expect your own government to just indiscriminately murder you without warning or provocation. Besides, how many people beyond the senior staff even knew it was coming?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”