Scripts?

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Scripts?

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:29 am

The issue of quality scripts recently came up in recent discussion and I'm wondering why we don't just have the platinum translation scripts hosted on the wiki under resources. Is there any sort of legal issue preventing this?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:39 am

Would it not fall under fair use? It must be similar to lyrics to a song; you're not hosting the work for free, just information on the work.

According to Wikipedia - because it's the quickest way:
"Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship."

If a still image/animated gif doesn't over step the legal issue I see no reason why scripts should. Though, I'm not savvy on the ins and outs of law.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:46 am

FWIW, Monkey has the Platinum (Renewal) booklets transcribed and uploaded to his site...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:54 am

Doesn't that seem like exactly the sort of thing the wiki should have? Even better if it's formatted properly so other wiki articles can link directly to relevant passages.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:22 am

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Would it not fall under fair use? It must be similar to lyrics to a song; you're not hosting the work for free, just information on the work.

According to Wikipedia - because it's the quickest way:
"Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship."

If a still image/animated gif doesn't over step the legal issue I see no reason why scripts should. Though, I'm not savvy on the ins and outs of law.

In previous discussions about releasing transcripts, it was a matter of releasing everything in its entirety. A short animated gif easily falls under fair use because there's a discussion and without the short clip, it would make the discussion/research/commentary useless. The difference is, instead of a short clip, in my discussion, I provide a link to the entire anime, in it's full and unaltered form. That's why when people quote the Platinum transcripts in discussion, that's fair use. Simply providing open access to the entire thing isn't really fair use. It's a lot of hand-waving on either side of the argument, and back then, it was decided to just stay on the safe side. Fair use in general is really vague and hard to defend unless you have lawyers. Not sure how much that applies these days since ADV doesn't have the license anymore so the argument that we're hurting their ability to profit from their licenses is kind of moot. It doesn't make the transcripts any less copyrighted, those rights still exist, and we would be violating them if we gave that stuff away openly. I don't think it's really that big of a deal at this point, compared to like back in 2005 when the Platinum boxsets were still being released.

But, even if we put them up somewhere, we'd still have to take them down if given a C&D.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:26 am

Fair enough. I appreciate the thorough explanation.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:27 am

But they have been up openly on Reichu's site for many years without any sign of a C&D order.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:38 am

I think there's a big damn difference posting an english translation script vs. posting the actual episodes.

Let's make this happen, people.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:40 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But they have been up openly on Reichu's site for many years without any sign of a C&D order.

It's on my site for downloads as well. The group, including Reichu, got together and decided that for this site, we'd try to avoid stuff like that maybe in an effort to stay on the good side of U.S. or other English distributors/licensors. At this point, I don't think that reasoning really applies.

As for linking to the script in the wiki, so far we'd just been linking to scenes/cuts in the FGC.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:59 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I think there's a big damn difference posting an english translation script vs. posting the actual episodes.

Let's make this happen, people.

You could just download the files you need, like I did. They're small.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:02 pm

I already have them, that's not an issue. I just think it would make a lot of sense for them to be available directly from the wiki.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:18 pm

We already have the FGC, which contains (mostly) the Platinum dialog, as well as sound effects and background text, and screenshots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:18 pm

I thought it was our own translation, hence the reason why we don't have more of it.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:21 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I thought it was our own translation, hence the reason why we don't have more of it.

Everything else is from the platinum transcripts.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:30 pm

I still think it's worthwhile. The FGC, while awesome, just has so much extra content that make it far less useful for some purposes such as quoting whole passages. In text form a script is clean and easy, but doing so from the FGC would mean several rounds of individual copy/pastes.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”