Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Official "What should I watch next?" thread

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:41 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:I saw Gasaraki a long time ago when ADV was still functioning, I had volumes 1-5 and 8 on VHS and 6-7 on DVD. I was intrigued due to it's realistic looking mecha and the cultural tonality. What I ask myself recently and to all who have seen it is: Is it worth a second viewing? I really want to go in and not feel like I got ripped off like I have been feeling with Rahxephon that I can't even bring myself to finish the last five episodes. Any help here would be appreciated.

If you feel ripped off by RahXephon you should give it another viewing without the Eva filter in place. It has a lot in common with Eva (as do all super robot shows), but its themes and message are entirely different. Treating it like an Eva ripoff does it a disservice and cheats you out of a really good story.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Official "What should I watch next?" thread B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun May 01, 2016 12:42 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:I saw Gasaraki a long time ago when ADV was still functioning, I had volumes 1-5 and 8 on VHS and 6-7 on DVD. I was intrigued due to it's realistic looking mecha and the cultural tonality. What I ask myself recently and to all who have seen it is: Is it worth a second viewing? I really want to go in and not feel like I got ripped off

Hard to say there: the "Trade war" segment at the end gets really dense, and the two MCs kind of just sit around for like, 3 episodes.

If you want realistic Mecha; I'd go with Ryosuke Takahashi's later work: FLAG.

The only real "conceit" there is the narrative device of anime-as-documentary. The story isn't hard to follow, the characters actually seem human, and it portrays mecha combat in the most down-to-earth fashion you'll likely ever see.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:11 pm

So I haven't really kept up with seasonal anime for about two years now and I was wondering if someone could be a dear and list a few that come highly touted.
Or you could just link to THAT BOARD recs

I don't really have a preference for genre so don't worry about that.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:53 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:Or you could just link to THAT BOARD recs
THAT BOARD is an Eva specific imageboard. Did you mean /a/? Their recommendation is Boku no Pico. (YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

In the past 2 years (from mid-2014) the ones I've watched and would recommend are the final cour of Mushishi, S2 of Encouragement of Climb, Yuki Yuna (but you ideally read the prequel LN before and the sequel chapter after for that one), Yona of the Dawn, and the currently airing Flying Witch. So that's mainly sort-of slice-of-life, a magical girl and a fantasy adventure.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:33 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote: Did you mean /a/? Their recommendation is Boku no Pico. (YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

Yeah, I got my internet lingo mixed up there for a second.
As for the troll recs been there done that. lol

Thanks for the titles I'll probably start them over the weekend. I've been meaning to get back into watching anime more regularly and this seems like the perfect time to do so.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:04 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:highly touted

I really loved Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and Shirobako, though both are definitely slower works. Flying Witch is totally wonderful, too.

Gate was a definitely decent action piece, if you're in the mood to not think too hard while watching your annimays.

ERASED is pretty popular and I dug it, but not as nearly as much as the first two I mentioned.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:15 pm

Yeah, Gate is pretty cool. I mean, most of it isn't really amazing -- the main plot is just okay -- but its depiction of the military (both in terms of sheer military might and in the way that might sometimes isn't much help) is fantastic. The second battle against the fire dragon is particularly noteworthy, as it gave every main character a chance to truly shine without minimizing any of their talents. It also showed a credible way for an elite fighting force to be utterly eviscerated, along with the importance of training and experience when fighting an unfamiliar foe in open battle. It's honestly one of the greatest fight scenes I've ever seen, no matter the medium.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:07 am

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:So I haven't really kept up with seasonal anime for about two years now and I was wondering if someone could be a dear and list a few that come highly touted.
Or you could just link to THAT BOARD recs

I don't really have a preference for genre so don't worry about that.

If you haven't caught up with the Monogatari series, I strongly recommend you do that. You've got like 2 1/2 full seasons' worth of material to watch.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:37 am

Mars of destructions ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:17 pm

The Anime Series I've watched so far that I would rate a 9 or above (First three I rate ten stars)...

1: Neon Genesis Evangelion (What else?!)
2: Paranoia Agent
3: Cowboy Bebop
4: Kino's Journey
5: FMA: Brotherhood
6: Welcome to the NHK
7: FLCL
8: Serial Experiments Lain

and for anime series I want to watch after I finish the current three I'm watching (Kaiba, Brotherhood and Tatami Galaxy (Narrowing it down to 15))

Mushishi
Give Samurai Champloo a third chance
Aria the Animation
Baccanno!
Darker then Black
Berserk (Original)
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Clannad
Shinsheki Yori
ef: A Tale of Memories
So Long, Mr. Despair
Texhnolyze
Terror in Resonance
Nichijou
Parasyte

Always watch three at a time (Unless I'm distracted by one particular anime like I am currently with FMA: Brotherhood.)

Also looking for any hilarious dark comedy anime.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:23 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:The Anime Series I've watched so far that I would rate a 9 or above (First three I rate ten stars)...

1: Neon Genesis Evangelion (What else?!)
2: Paranoia Agent
3: Cowboy Bebop
4: Kino's Journey
5: FMA: Brotherhood
6: Welcome to the NHK
7: FLCL
8: Serial Experiments Lain

and for anime series I want to watch after I finish the current three I'm watching (Kaiba, Brotherhood and Tatami Galaxy (Narrowing it down to 15))

Mushishi
Give Samurai Champloo a third chance
Aria the Animation
Baccanno!
Darker then Black
Berserk (Original)
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Clannad
Shinsheki Yori
ef: A Tale of Memories
So Long, Mr. Despair
Texhnolyze
Terror in Resonance
Nichijou
Parasyte

Always watch three at a time (Unless I'm distracted by one particular anime like I am currently with FMA: Brotherhood.)

Also looking for any hilarious dark comedy anime.

For Dark Comedy I'd definitely recommend Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita. As for the ones you mentioned I feel like you'd like Mushishi, Baccano, Berserk, Utena and Texhnolyze the most.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:59 pm

View Original PostJavik wrote:For Dark Comedy I'd definitely recommend Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita. As for the ones you mentioned I feel like you'd like Mushishi, Baccano, Berserk, Utena and Texhnolyze the most.

Well, I've finished Brotherhood (Love, love, loved it), and am about to finish Kaiba. I guess I'll start with Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei and either Baccano or Berserk. When I finish the Tatami Galaxy (Which may become one of my favorites once I finish it), I may watch either Texhnoylyze or Shisheki Yori, depending on how much I like the first episode of the two.

Then again, I also want to start watching Monster again, and I've seen the first two episodes of Utena, but they didn't grab me. I'm guessing like Eva the show takes it time to become batshit weird?

View Original PostXxx_Generic Name_Xxx wrote:Mars of destructions ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Do you wanna add Garzey's wing as well?
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:38 am

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:I've seen the first two episodes of Utena, but they didn't grab me. I'm guessing like Eva the show takes it time to become batshit weird?
Not weird enough for you already, with Princes and duels and magical girl hensin sequences and all that? It takes several episodes to introduce the somewhat sprawling cast, but the first real "Ikuhara off his meds" part comes in episode 8.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:01 am

I'm currently in something of an anime rut right now. I tried watching Kabaneri, but I found it to be nothing but a boring Attackon Titan clone where I couldn't really get attached to any of the characters. The closest thing I have to an anime I currently watch is, believe it or not, Chi's Sweet Home (yeah, the one about the kitten--it makes great stress relief).
So I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a series I could watch now--preferably something that's dark with a lot of action and an intricate plot.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:50 am

Rurouni Kenshin? Not dark really, but has strong serious undertones within the humour and action. You can skip the second half of the first season and the whole of the third season - they are not taken from the manga; but the OVAs are (a prequel and a sequel, both best watched after the series).

Now and Then, Here and There? The first episode is deceptively lighthearted - later on it pulls your guts out.

Gantz, perhaps, if you want more gore?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:05 pm

pwhodges wrote:Rurouni Kenshin? Not dark really, but has strong serious undertones within the humour and action. You can skip the second half of the first season and the whole of the third season - they are not taken from the manga; but the OVAs are (a prequel and a sequel, both best watched after the series).

Out of those, I think that Ruromi Kenshin and Gantz are the ones I'm going to like best. I tried NTHT, but I soon realized that while I enjoy dark, I do not enjoy bleak. I had the same problem with, for instance, Cormac McCarthy's book The Road. All the suffering just felt pointless after a while.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:30 pm

Have you watched Psycho-Pass?

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:41 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Rurouni Kenshin? Not dark really, but has strong serious undertones within the humour and action. You can skip the second half of the first season and the whole of the third season - they are not taken from the manga; but the OVAs are (a prequel and a sequel, both best watched after the series).

I disagree about the OVAs. Both of them were very bad, the voices/art style/length and even character personalities were changed. I say watch the original 90s anime, and then continue with the manga. Don't waste your time on the movie/OVAs/newer adaption and so on.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:38 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:I disagree about the OVAs. Both of them were very bad, the voices/art style/length and even character personalities were changed. I say watch the original 90s anime, and then continue with the manga. Don't waste your time on the movie/OVAs/newer adaption and so on.

The manga is best of all, agreed, but that's not what we're talking about here.

I disagree about the OVAs being bad, though. The "real" ones (the prequel: Trust and Betrayal [Tsuioku-hen], and the Sequel: Reflection [Seisou-hen]) are superb in their own right, even though they don't exactly match the series in style. But I do agree you should ignore the tedious movie (Requiem for the Ishin Patriots) and the abbreviated remake of the Kyoto arc (New Kyoto Arc), and the unnecessary movie version of the first OVA.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:42 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote: I had the same problem with, for instance, Cormac McCarthy's book The Road. All the suffering just felt pointless after a while.

I actually had a conversation with my best friend(he's a big McCarthy buff) about this a couple weeks ago, and I'm the same way, though it's definitely not fair to call it pointless as it's not as if McCarthy is writing for attention or to just shock people. Different people/artists express themselves in different ways, and some tend to be much grimmer than others. (I don't mean this in a nasty or lecturing type way as I feel like I'm coming off a bit strong)

Flannery O'Connor's and Joy Division's "level of darkness"(whatever that means, haha) is about the right amount for me. :cool:

Anyways, the annime I think fits into that description very well is Ergo Proxy, though that may be one you've already seen before. Psycho Pass is a great example as well, though I wasn't all that crazy about Part 2(it's a bit grimmer than Part 1).

Madoka, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, and Selector Wixoss were also nicely dark for me, if you want to watch some magical girl anime.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Return to “Anime and Manga”