Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

imprimatur13
Adam

Re: Official "What should I watch next?" thread

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:56 am

On a (presumably) lighter note; Anyone seen Noragami? I like the artstyle, and the whole kami-thing, but is it just another generic shounen battle? Or, does it have the depth that we Evageeks crave?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:20 am

It's not deep in the manner of Eva, but it's entertaining and well paced (though the latest arc in the manga got stretched a bit too far IMO in the desire for spectacle). It's earned a place on my shelves in both forms - indeed, the character Yukine is my current avatar on another forum... There are persistent rumours of a third series (there's enough manga for two more now, though the manga's currently on hiatus for health reasons), but no supporting evidence at all.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "Don't take Rei!" (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:40 pm

I must be the only anime fan on the planet who hasn't seen "Your Name" yet. Is it worth the hype? I mean, the way people talk about it I'm worried it'll be like when I went to see Avatar or when my Sister went to see Titanic. There was all this Build-up, and then when it actually did come out I felt incredibly underwhelmed. Not because the movie itself was bad, but because it had been talked up so much when I did see it my expectations were waaaaay too high. I'm worried that's gonna be the case with this movie.

Anyone here who can tell me if it's worth the hype?
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

imprimatur13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:53 pm

I haven't seen it either :), but I hear it is good. Apparently not as good as Makoto Shinkai's other films, though, (like 5 Centimeters). Which I also haven't seen. There IS a NY Times article where he explicitly cites Hideaki Anno as one of his 2 main influences for Your Name (other one is Haruki Murakami).

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Pretty good (and very pretty), but doesn't reach greatness IMO. Lots of WAFF. Just go and enjoy it for what it is without worrying about people's opinions - it's certainly worth that much.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "Don't take Rei!" (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Anime and Manga”