Unidentified symbol

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Unidentified symbol

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:42 pm

At about 01:08:10 into the EoE, for about half a second, directly above the black moon, there's an odd symbol which seems to have appeared from very far away (it's hard to see any detail), I can't quite tell what it is, or if it's even something identifiable, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about I'd like to know.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:59 pm

Is this one?:
In the center is Eva01, arroud it are the eva series.
*insert cool signature here*

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:03 pm

Huh, looks like a special symbol with some purpose. I think its like a pentogram or something. You know? Like a pentogram is sometimes used for portection in magic and crap.

Crazyman42
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Crazyman42 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:23 pm

Well, I know in spiritual terms when symbols contained in a circle it means a spiritual binding. You can see binding like this in Witch Hunter Robin.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:44 pm

Nephilim wrote:Is this one?:

Yes that is the one. :D

I thought that might have been it, but Eva-01 and the Mass-Produced Evas formed a Sephiroticum, didn't they?

I also think it might have been Rei/Lilith, since it's above the black moon, but it doesn't really look like her.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:15 pm

Nephilim wrote:Is this one?:

ive never seen this before?!?!?!?!
a man within the trap of one sided love is a man torn beyond his imagination.
-----------
Reason = Virtue = Happiness

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:40 pm

well, some vertixes, and some dots give away the position of the eva series:
The center symbol is used in christianity to represent the Holy Trinity.
Also you can see it in the band P.O.D. and the Charmed tv show, hehe.
*insert cool signature here*

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:29 am

whne was this? was it right before uber Rei/lillith appears?

EvaPimp
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaPimp » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:45 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:when was this? was it right before uber Rei/lillith appears?

Yes. Right before she holds the egg.

Also, as some one mentioned, its the symbol of the Holy Trinity. The symbol is in a lot of Bibles....

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:38 pm

Yes, the triangle typically represents the Holy Trinity. The loopy thing in the center is the most obvious indicator of that. Now, the circle is the symbol of eternity. We tend to take the circle for granted, but its symbolism as eternity is something that never wanes in significance. Often, this depiction of eternity is utilized more in occult practices than in Chrisianity. Whenwas the last time you saw a big circle in church? (Other than a halo.) One popular way to look at the circle is as Leviathan, the serpent who consumes his own tail in an everlasting wheel of death and rebirth. (This is usually the character represented by the circle surrounding a pentagram.) When used in symbols, a circle is never just a circle. As to why there are two circles is a bit of a mystery to me, as I've never seen this specific symbol anywhere before, however, I'm sure they must have gotten it from somewhere, and it's not just a revised design for the film. What this image evokes in my mind is the scale of the universe being represented in this sacrament: you have the divinity of the inner self, surrounded by the universe, surrounded by that which separates nothing from everything. The lines connecting the two circles could imply the attainment of a state in which there is no separation between everything and nothing.

So to answer your question, I don't know.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 pm

That was a long way to say that you don't know......
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:44 pm

It's the only way I know how.

_get some help

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:09 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Yes, the triangle typically represents the Holy Trinity. The loopy thing in the center is the most obvious indicator of that. Now, the circle is the symbol of eternity. We tend to take the circle for granted, but its symbolism as eternity is something that never wanes in significance. Often, this depiction of eternity is utilized more in occult practices than in Chrisianity. Whenwas the last time you saw a big circle in church? (Other than a halo.) One popular way to look at the circle is as Leviathan, the serpent who consumes his own tail in an everlasting wheel of death and rebirth. (This is usually the character represented by the circle surrounding a pentagram.) When used in symbols, a circle is never just a circle. As to why there are two circles is a bit of a mystery to me, as I've never seen this specific symbol anywhere before, however, I'm sure they must have gotten it from somewhere, and it's not just a revised design for the film. What this image evokes in my mind is the scale of the universe being represented in this sacrament: you have the divinity of the inner self, surrounded by the universe, surrounded by that which separates nothing from everything. The lines connecting the two circles could imply the attainment of a state in which there is no separation between everything and nothing.

So to answer your question, I don't know.

This makes sense, it's like a simplified version of a Sephiroticum, a map of the universe.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:24 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:One popular way to look at the circle is as Leviathan, the serpent who consumes his own tail in an everlasting wheel of death and rebirth.

I thought that was Ouroburos/Uroburos. I've never heard of Ouroburos being identified with Leviathan.

kosure
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kosure » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:50 am

I'm pretty sure it is a holy trinity symbol.
Its an easy, quick one shot of christian symbolism.
i think cosplay is a lot like communism, it seems like a good idea, but it never turns out the way you want.
Star Wars: The Ultimate Guide

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:24 am

Kosure, out of curiosity, where did you find that image?

kosure
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kosure » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:28 pm

WOW. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. It must've slipped past me. Sorry. :oops:

I just did a google search for "holy trinity". Easy Peasy.
i think cosplay is a lot like communism, it seems like a good idea, but it never turns out the way you want.
Star Wars: The Ultimate Guide

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:23 pm

The Ouroboros serpent is probably the most popular way to put it, but I first learned the serpentine struggle through the name of Leviathan. All symbollic archetypes are pretty derivative, so I don't think it really matters. Leviathan is the Satanic example, and that's the one I remember most easily. The two creatures are essentialy representative of one another.

Anyway, as cited, the central element of the symbol in question is definitely the Trinitarian symbol. However, I've beeen searching, and I've yet to find this exact multi-realistic incarnation anywhere else. Perhaps they really did make it up for the film.

Another thing to notice is the triangle which binds the Trinity within the inner circle. I'm feeling lazy right now, so I didn't read this, but perhaps it might be relevant:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/phdaley/symbols.htm

_get some help

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”