Skullgirls

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Skullgirls

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:55 pm

[Merged in from FML 6. - Monk]

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Because I fight in games the way I fight in real life; by being a nasty bastard and just charging at people, mindlessly pummeling them with random, vicious and cruel attacks. I never block, I just rush at them and hammer the buttons until they're dead.

Yeah, that won't work. If you insist on a hyperagressive style then at the very least you'll need to actually learn to chain together proper combos rather than wild flailing so that when you get a hit in rather than just being countered or zoned out you can make it count.

I was playing the fucking BLOCKING TUTORIAL.

Er... if it's a blocking tutorial, you probably need to BLOCK to pass it. Just sayin.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:20 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Er... if it's a blocking tutorial, you probably need to BLOCK to pass it. Just sayin.

You don't want to know how much time I spent helping him with this game.

I want you to see this tutorial though. It is pretty good, and particularly challenging (which is where this rant of Squiggy derives from).
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:35 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Er... if it's a blocking tutorial, you probably need to BLOCK to pass it. Just sayin.

There are like 4 stages of that tutorial, the last one is pretty relentless. It took a friend of mine an hour to pass it and he's usually alright with fighting games, hell I haven't even done it yet. Typical of MikeZ though.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:24 pm

^I never played any of the tutorials outside of what was mandatory and I can get through the game without too much trouble on Hard difficulty. I also don't block much, but that's mainly because I lack the reflexes to react at the right time rather than a total rejection of the concept.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:08 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I want you to see this tutorial though. It is pretty good, and particularly challenging (which is where this rant of Squiggy derives from).

got a link?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:17 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:got a link?

Here you go.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Skullgirls

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Needed a thread due to discussion lately.

Been trying out the game recently, it's pretty good, 6 button fighter, sprites are all hand drawn and have fluid motion.

Tutorial is hard if you aren't used to fighters, though this is to be expected if the game was designed by MikeZ. A lot of the artwork and design is done by Alex Ahad and Michiru Yamane of the Castlevania series is also involved in the music.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:00 pm

Yeah, I made it past the "easy" and "hard" mixups, but the "Really hard" stage is brutal. It doesn't help that the only other fighter I've played is Soul Calibur, which is a 3-button 3D fighter, whereas this is a 6-button 2D one. I'm gonna give it another go, but I really think I need a fightstick.

And also, like I say, I've mostly gotten through conflicts in real life with sheer malice rather than skill. Which doesn't work in games (that aren't Manhunt).
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:13 pm

You don't require a fightstick to block, it's just all about the type of block that you're doing at the time, what's happening to you is you're getting mixed up by a mix up character.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:44 pm

[Original topic post before merge. - Monk]

I bought this game but have yet to play it. (The same goes for like a hundred games of mine, thanks to Steam sales giving me more games than I can play.) I've read elsewhere that it's suggested to use the keyboard instead of a gamepad, and an arcade stick is best of all. How many people who play this game agree with that? Because I love gamepads, even for 6-button fighters. (Not that I play too many of those, but I've played my share in the Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom series.)
Last edited by Monk Ed on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:59 am

I heard that the controls for a gamepad was particularly confusing, and the keyboard has it well laid out. The only problem I had was doing some of the clockwork moves with the arrowkeys, which I'm sure could be remedied if one gets a G13, but the price might be steep for those who might otherwise not have a use for that hardware.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:46 am

The button layout for a controller is kind of odd. Obviously a 6-button fighter is going to be difficult on a PS2/Xbox style gamepad but the default layout is just weird, and remapping the controls makes the menu damn near impossible to use.

I did find a keyboard was easier to use, but arrow keys are no substitute for an analogue stick (and also my computer setup means I have to lean over the keyboard, which is on a tiny end-table thing). I do think an arcade stick, even if not strictly necessary, would help a lot. It's basically a 6-button controller with a thumbstick, after all, and that would solve both the problem of the weird layout on gamepads and the pain of using arrow keys. It's not like you need to spend thousands of pounds on a ridiculously overpriced high-end hunk of pointlessly overwrought hardware after all, especially not at the friendly level (StarCraft players and your jaw-droppingly overcompensating mice that cost more than a console, I'm looking at you...).

Also the very simple physical construction of arcade sticks (flat boards with buttons and a stick) means that decorating/cusfomizing them (purely aesthetically of course) should be easy.

Regarding the game itself, I haven't played any online or even the story mode yet- I'm sticking to the training room and the tutorial until I improve. I'm getting used to the characters, just seeing how they handle before I heavily investigate their movesets. Painwheel is quite fun, and I like her Buer Drive moves (especially the one where she uses it like a claw, snapping down the 4 blades one at a time) and from what I played of her Cerebella suits me quite well, with her good attack power and excellent knockback. Peacock seems kinda OP although that could be my inner scrub speaking.

I absolutely love the artstyle- it's like a blend of 90s pulp anime and Western underground comics, combined with a Vaudeville theme and plenty of silliness with just the right amount of grimdark. Painwheel is probably my favourite design, although I do love Peacock and her walking 30s cartoon schtick. Some of the palettes are cool as hell too. I kinda wish they'd release a palette editor so you could make your own colour schemes, but given the amount of labour that went into the hand-drawn sprites I can see that would be a pain to implement (although I actually think it would be fair of them to release it as paid DLC).

I'm determined to kick my scrub habits, so I'm going to keep trying at the tutorials. Will definitely look for an arcade controller though- any recommendations on decent ones that aren't stupidly expensive? I'm not interested in superconductive ultra-high-end stuff, just something that will make playing a bit easier and won't break on me.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:37 pm

^I don't think all that training is really necessary. At the very least I haven't done most of the training but I've completed almost all the story modes on Hard and I paly online regularly too.

Of course, if you're aiming for a higher difficulty level then training will pay off.

Peacock is OP, but I think it's mainly because she has loads of zoning attacks and a powerful special (Eyes of Argus) that is easy to trigger. I once used it on the final boss when she had around 50% health and- no lie- it insta-killed her.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

SuperUltraMecha
Embryo

Re: Skullgirls

•      
  •      

Postby SuperUltraMecha » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:22 pm

So Skullgirls is coming to mobile apparently...This'll be interesting, to say the least.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”