Introducing Others to Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

InvaderRen
Lilith

Introducing Others to Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:42 pm

I have a friend who is into psychology, and is interested in some of the cncepts i told her about (basic stuff like the sources of symbolism and some of the real-world theories)

I just have a feeling that she would be put off by the mecha aspect of the series?

is there a way to get her to tolerate it at least to the point where the philosophy and psychoanalysis is introduced?

Thanks

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:58 pm

That's tough work man. Is your friend a grown-up or a teen? It would be damned easier to deal with if she was the latter. And I think many people do not take the ideas discussed in an anime seriously. They may think the ideas would be superficial and take them as a joke.

I said it's tough because if you run straight into the philosophy of Eva your friend would not be able to get a thorough understanding of the storyline and the whole will make no sense. So what I think you can do is to tell her to watch it episode by episode, if she really wants to know about the psychological stuff in Eva she should persevere and if she can't comply she doesn't worth knowing the ideas.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:12 pm

If your friend is into psychology and you want to show them Eva, just say there's a show you're into that has a lot of psychology in its second half they might enjoy.

You don't need any ploys or tricks, just ask them to watch it. If they don't want to watch it, then chances are they wouldn't take it seriously anyway.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:56 am

Show em episodes 25 and 26 first 8)

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:08 am

She won't understand what's going on if you just go straight into it will she?
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

InvaderRen
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:45 am

right now, im tempted to either

Show her ep1 on YouTube and see if she minds the violence

~OR~

show Shinji's complementation on YouTube to pique her interest

oy

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:56 am

master0rolando wrote:Show em episodes 25 and 26 first 8)

InvaderRen wrote:Show her ep1 on YouTube and see if she minds the violence

~OR~

show Shinji's complementation on YouTube to pique her interest

No and no. If you show her something from the later half, she will definitely be uninterested.

No YouTube. Watch an actual DVD.

InvaderRen
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:33 am

I am currently in the process of conjouring the money for the plat. collection... wont be for another few weeks tho.. *tear

How should i tell her to ignore the apparent shallowness of the earlier episodes?

Im pretty sure that its after the discovery of 'Adam' that things get creepy, but that could be a while

(Yea, i hate youtube quality too. I got luck and caught NGE on [as] On Demand. but they cut out 18-20, 22,23,25, had to see it at my friends house)

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:01 am

Just tell her all this sappiness and happiness is only solace towards the show's second half when EVERYTHING GOES TO HELL. The comedic side was there to catch us off guard-Anno wanted to make sure that the insanity would be a real kick to the balls.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

InvaderRen
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:54 pm

so i SHOULDNT warn her...

im pretty sure she enjoys a nice mindscrew, like any1 else

just 1 thing, i havent watched the series in a while, is fan service a big issue?

they never seem to miss a shot w/ Misato in short shorts...

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:58 pm

InvaderRen wrote:so i SHOULDNT warn her...

No, I generally think people best receive Evangelion when they get into it with as little expectation as possible. I wouldn't even tell her if you think its the greatest thing ever. Just that it's good, and that it might interest her. I do however like to explain to people that Eva is a show that needed to happen, that its studio was so close to extinction, and that the show's creator suffered prior to its creation, and that his suffering fueled the series and created a phenomenon in the process.

InvaderRen wrote:just 1 thing, i havent watched the series in a while, is fan service a big issue?

they never seem to miss a shot w/ Misato in short shorts...

Compared to what's out there these days, Evangelion is actually quite innocent and mild in terms of fan service. I think you're safe.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:24 am

Show her Elfen Lied.

Do it.

If she can survive the first two episodes, she can fathom Evangelion. As is the case with other anime.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:21 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
InvaderRen wrote:so i SHOULDNT warn her...

No, I generally think people best receive Evangelion when they get into it with as little expectation as possible. I wouldn't even tell her if you think its the greatest thing ever. Just that it's good, and that it might interest her. I do however like to explain to people that Eva is a show that needed to happen, that its studio was so close to extinction, and that the show's creator suffered prior to its creation, and that his suffering fueled the series and created a phenomenon in the process.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do too. Simply stating that Evangelion is like nothing you've ever seen before.
Many dimensions to it, and constantly pulled in different directions. Trying to do it's thing at the beginning, getting hijacked by sponsors at the middle, then finding it's own at episode 16 and from there on out it's a helluva ride.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:28 pm

Mundane wrote:If she can survive the first five minutes [of Elfen Lied], she can handle anything Evangelion throws at her.

Fixed.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:44 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Mundane wrote:If she can survive the first five minutes [of Elfen Lied], she can handle anything Evangelion throws at her.

Fixed.

Although it is an awesome first five minutes.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:00 pm

jcmoorehead wrote:Although it is an awesome first five minutes.

Agreed. And ironically not the most difficult to watch.

InvaderRen
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:35 pm

havent seen it, dont plan to...

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby zeaven » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:08 pm

Most of the people I end up showing it to are ones who have never seen any anime before and think it's all elementary garbage. I use it as sort of a counterpoint whenever they say such things. I just like to open people's minds.

It'a also because a) I don't know TOO many hardcore anime fans, and b) the ones I do know are rather... unsavory (i.e. too annoyingly fanboyish/immature to put up with). Most anime fanboys have seen eva anyway.

Eva is great because it has a lot of something for everyone. The best normal (i.e. non-animated) movies cross genres, just like the best anime does. Movies that consist of 100% psychobabble are pretty boring by themselves, don't you think? Maybe that argument will make sense to her. If not, she's probably some stuck-up, pretentious, arthouse snob. :(

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:03 pm

How in the hell do we keep end up talking about Elfen Lied?

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:41 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:How in the hell do we keep end up talking about Elfen Lied?

Because it's good.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”