Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8799
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:24 pm

movieartman, you focus too much on whether things make sense from a Watsonian/in universe perspective. Just because it makes sense or characters to do something doesn't mean it will automatically be a meaningful or enjoyable story.

Aliens vs Predator makes sense from the big game hunter angle, yes, but you either have a bunch of bug monsters fighting each other with no relatable stakes or a dumb plot that forces humans into the mix. I'm talking about filmmaking here, I don't know what the comics are like I don't especially care.

As for the parody aspect, Parody doesn't necessarily mean Kentucky Fried Movie/Hot Shots!/Naked Gun/Scary Movie, etc. Those are spoofs, which are a type of parody. When Dutch impales a guy with a thrown knife and says "stick around" and the whole "I ain't got time to bleed" thing, those are being set up so that the later juxtaposition with their situation as the alien hunts them demonstrates how ridiculous they are. (Note that when they become the prey animals, the jokes all stop) Predator is 100% a commentary on action movies that were popular when it was filmed.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

BlueBasilisk
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 1433
Joined: Nov 14, 2010
Gender: Male

Re: Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:16 pm

I made it to the extended argument about
SPOILER: Show
whether or not that guy said something about Olivia Munn's pussy
and checked out. Christ almighty, what a total dumpster fire this movie is. Also what the hell was with the kid just blowing up the bully and his house and getting away with it? The token evil bully is a really tired film trope but the extremely disproportionate payback didn't sit well with me at all.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1283
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:25 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I made it to the extended argument about
SPOILER: Show
whether or not that guy said something about Olivia Munn's pussy
and checked out. Christ almighty, what a total dumpster fire this movie is. Also what the hell was with the kid just blowing up the bully and his house and getting away with it? The token evil bully is a really tired film trope but the extremely disproportionate payback didn't sit well with me at all.


Wait the kid blows up some bully's house? This reminds me of something in South Park when Eric Cartman ruins the bullies life like has his parents fed to him but this works because we know Cartman is an asshole that's the role he plays...but to have a kid with autism do the same as you say not only over uses the trope but it also plays to the misconception that children with autism have no empathy and will do terrible things to people given the opportunity. :facepalm:
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

BlueBasilisk
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 1433
Joined: Nov 14, 2010
Gender: Male

Re: Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:20 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Wait the kid blows up some bully's house? This reminds me of something in South Park when Eric Cartman ruins the bullies life like has his parents fed to him but this works because we know Cartman is an asshole that's the role he plays...but to have a kid with autism do the same as you say not only over uses the trope but it also plays to the misconception that children with autism have no empathy and will do terrible things to people given the opportunity. :facepalm:

I missed exactly what instigated the incident but
SPOILER: Show
the kid has the Predator's shoulder cannon and it shoots a bully that's harassing him from a balcony on the second floor. The shoot goes through him and into the house which explodes. Then the kid scares off a couple other bullies who were watching from the street.
I..uh...don't think they realized what message they were sending there. :uhh:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8799
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 pm

SPOILER: Show
Do you mean... through him like, through him?
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

BlueBasilisk
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 1433
Joined: Nov 14, 2010
Gender: Male

Re: Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:20 pm

Here's the chain of events:
SPOILER: Show
The kid is wearing the Predator's mask and gauntlet as a Halloween costume. He goes up to a house to trick or treat, but nobody answers. As he's walking away, this guy steps out onto the balcony. I thought this was one of the bullies but now that I get a better look he looks like an older guy. The guy says "Here's a treat you little shit" and throws an apple at the back of the kid's head. When it hits the helmet, the cannon deploys, blasting a hole through the guy's torso and knocking him back into the house. The second floor explodes in a big ball of fire.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1283
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:48 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Here's the chain of events:
SPOILER: Show
The kid is wearing the Predator's mask and gauntlet as a Halloween costume. He goes up to a house to trick or treat, but nobody answers. As he's walking away, this guy steps out onto the balcony. I thought this was one of the bullies but now that I get a better look he looks like an older guy. The guy says "Here's a treat you little shit" and throws an apple at the back of the kid's head. When it hits the helmet, the cannon deploys, blasting a hole through the guy's torso and knocking him back into the house. The second floor explodes in a big ball of fire.


Damn just damn...even if its not one of the bullies it still has that people with autism have no empathy going (Which as as side note is the reason I hear a lot of people with autism complaining about The Big bang theory as Sheldon behaves in this manner and is never punished for it from what I've heard) I understand if the kid had gone for firing the canon off side as a threat to scare the mean guy but the shots a kill shot. :cringe:
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8799
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:07 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Here's the chain of events:
SPOILER: Show
The kid is wearing the Predator's mask and gauntlet as a Halloween costume. He goes up to a house to trick or treat, but nobody answers. As he's walking away, this guy steps out onto the balcony. I thought this was one of the bullies but now that I get a better look he looks like an older guy. The guy says "Here's a treat you little shit" and throws an apple at the back of the kid's head. When it hits the helmet, the cannon deploys, blasting a hole through the guy's torso and knocking him back into the house. The second floor explodes in a big ball of fire.


Everything about this is stupid. I won't be bothering with this one.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam
Posts: 81
Joined: May 19, 2005

Re: Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:18 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:Here's the chain of events:
SPOILER: Show
The kid is wearing the Predator's mask and gauntlet as a Halloween costume. He goes up to a house to trick or treat, but nobody answers. As he's walking away, this guy steps out onto the balcony. I thought this was one of the bullies but now that I get a better look he looks like an older guy. The guy says "Here's a treat you little shit" and throws an apple at the back of the kid's head. When it hits the helmet, the cannon deploys, blasting a hole through the guy's torso and knocking him back into the house. The second floor explodes in a big ball of fire.


Yeah... forgot to mention that as one of the myriad things I hated about the film.

SPOILER: Show
The Extra Evil Predator is actually targeting Captain Autism in the film, because apparently his autism is the genetic trait they desired to integrate into themselves


It's just an awful movie through-and-through, relying on cheap laughs and infantile humor to move forward with a splash of gore to remind you that it's about the Predator.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1283
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:39 pm

View Original PostGazdakka Gizbang wrote:Yeah... forgot to mention that as one of the myriad things I hated about the film.

SPOILER: Show
The Extra Evil Predator is actually targeting Captain Autism in the film, because apparently his autism is the genetic trait they desired to integrate into themselves


I hear people complain about AVP but the reality is that, that film as well as predator and predator 2 (I'm not listing Predators here because I think that's a group of bad bloods dishonoured predators breaking the rules.) are the only ones that get how Predators code of honour works which is also shown really heavily in the dark horse 90's run of the comics/books.

The idea is you show them your worthy, you impress them by killing ether one of them or an alien in combat they don't pick you because they think your special they want to see you bleed kill and show how brutal how you are and in the comics these men and women normally loose all there friends before there honoured by predators as that's the price you pay for being near them.

I hated that whole plot line in the film, I think it totality undermines the concept of the franchise, I get the trying for a new direction but that was a huge miss step and some people have stated that to fix this film they could have made the good predator Royce from the predators movies like they turned him in to a predator and its an interesting fix but it has one flaw by doing this your saying only human made predators can be good guys not the aliens themselves.

Also again this undermines the comics as they are capable of empathy Broken Tusk (Dachande) from Prey in my view is one of the greatest predator characters ever because he is more than a killing machine he learns to understand humans and tries to help them when everything goes wrong because they saved his life.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3


Return to “Film and Video”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests