Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Shane Black
this guy in the original predator (1987)
who would go on to be the Writer of Lethal Weapon 1-2 and The Long Kiss Good Night (1996) and the Director of Iron Man 3 (2013) & Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
will team once again with The Monster Squad (1987) Co Writer Fred Dekker to [s]Reboot (NOT remake) The Predator Franchise![/s]
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/06/24/shane-black-fred-dekker-to-reboot-predator/

EDIT---
Change of plans it is a SEQUEL NOT A REBOOT OR REMAKE FUCK YEAH
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/25/shane-black-says-his-predator-film-is-a-sequel-not-a-remake-or-reboot/

THERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE MY ELATION!
Last edited by movieartman on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Didn't predator just get a successful reboot?

Is this a trend where were going to just see a new reboot of every popular movie every couple years?

That being said it does look promising as I'm sure he's a capable director for the franchise, but still do we really need to have a new reboot every couple years? Then again it did say its not a remake, so maybe he's just doing a sequal to predators which would be cool , but if that's the case it'd be kinda weird to call it a reboot.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:54 am

Holy shit thats who Shane black is. I been watching predator for the longest time and never realized that Hawkins was also the guy who directed IM3. Now if only we can get Arnold back in on this. Now we just need someone to save the Alien franchise.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:27 pm

It's another sequel apparently, not a reboot: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/25/shane-black-says-his-predator-film-is-a-sequel-not-a-remake-or-reboot/

"Why start over, when you’ve all this rich mythology yet to mine?"

:nod:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:38 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:It's another sequel apparently, not a reboot: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/25/shane-black-says-his-predator-film-is-a-sequel-not-a-remake-or-reboot/

"Why start over, when you’ve all this rich mythology yet to mine?"

:nod:

i know right man, the yet to mine part is a very good sign, shows that hopefully he intends to expand and not retread, i LOVE predators (2010) but it was just a retread of the original films story with 2 elements added in (on another planet, multi species preds)

also if you get the chance check out the two issue comic series, Predator the bloody sands of time
would love to see that on film.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Re: Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:47 am

NEW TEASER  SPOILER: Show
Warren Peace, #643919

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:27 pm

That sounds really sexual.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Shane Black has had some good movies and some misfires. But given how much of a beating the Predator and Alien Franchises have taken. . . when you've hit rock bottom, the only way left is up.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:22 pm

As with Terminator and Alien/Aliens, the question I'm left with is: why? The original movie was perfect. There is no need to bother with another because there's really nothing left to say on the subject. I think Aliens is one of the only movie sequels I ever considered worthwhile (Empire Strikes Back being the other obvious example), and the main reason for that is the fact that it's a different sort of film than its predecessor. Unless someone has something new or profound or interesting to say about the Predator concept I don't see the point to revisiting the subject matter at all.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:02 pm

Black and Dekker have been boasting that this script is a really different and fresh take, whatever that means. But I enjoyed both Predator 2 and Predators so, like the Alien property, I'm always down for more when it comes to this IP as long as it's enjoyable action flick fare.
Warren Peace, #643919

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:07 pm

Anyone else Predator franchise>Alien franchise here?
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:30 am

Why not both?
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:27 am

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:Anyone else Predator franchise>Alien franchise here?

For me...
6 = Among the greatest movies ever made
5 = Amazing / Superb
4 = Great
3 = Good
2 = OK / Meh
1 = Bad
0 = Horrible

Alien = 5
Aliens = 4
Alien 3 = high 3
Alien Resurrection = 2
Prometheus = low 4
Predator = 4
Predator 2 = 4
Predators = 4
AVP = 2
AVPR = high 2 (if they had better lit the god damn film it would be a 3 or low 3)

For contrast...
SPOILER: Show
Star Wars E1 - TPM = 2
Star Wars E2 - AOTC = low 2
Star Wars E3 - ROTS = low 2
Star Wars E4 - ANH = 4
Star Wars E5 - TESB = 5
Star Wars E6 - ROTJ = low 4
Star Wars E7 - TFA = 4
Batman (89) = 3
Batman Returns = 2
Batman Forever = 2
Batman & Robin = 0
Batman Begins = 4
The Dark Knight = 6
The Dark Knight Rises = low 4
Robocop = 4
Robocop 2 = high 3
Robocop 3 = high 1
Robocop remake = 3

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:23 pm

If you don't include the Alien vs. Predator series, then the Predator franchise hasn't really produced a bad movie. The original is the best, but Predator 2 and Predators each had their charms. If Black/Dekker have a cool twist on the concept, then I'd welcome another film.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:18 am

I rewatched all three films over the weekend - in reverse chronological order for some reason (Predators, Predator 2 and Predator) - and I know the original is supposed to be the better film and all, but I honestly think the other two are on the same level, if not at least so speaking from a purely entertainment point of view. The idea of a game preserve planet in Predators is frickin' awesome, and brings together all kinds of threads you wouldn't see otherwise. Case in point; the sword fight scene with the Yakuza enforcer. So well done, like it jumped right out of one of my jidaigekis. I will always really enjoy watching Adrien Brody on screen too. Big fan.

Predator 2 though; whoo boy. It's one of those "it's so bad it's good" kind of films, and oft verges on being a black comedy/satire (could've been an interesting Paul Verhoeven vehicle maybe), although admittedly it's nowhere near as smart as that, nor slightly even self-aware. Whilst Predator 2 doesn't have the class or finesse of the others, focus on what it does have; which is Danny Glover, Bill Paxton, buckets of ultraviolence, that unmistakable early 90s action movie aesthetic, King Willie and the Voodoo Gang, and probably the best looking/designed hunter of all the movies to date (who's a real sadistic SOB as well). The story reminds me of something from a really bad comicbook of the time, but the team make it work because they really stick to their idea, of concrete jungle, and run with it. Good fun all round.

I'm actually kind of bummed I'm going to have to wait a year or two before this new film comes out. I might have to give the Alien movies a retread now also followed by Prometheus.
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:49 am

Monday, Completely agree with the 3 Predator films being on the same level.
But I can't agree Predator 2 is so bad it's good as... I can't really find much bad or shoddy about it.

And funny you mention the comic book comparison, the plot is pretty similar to the Predator Concrete Jungle series from 89.
Altho the film drops less reasonable elements like Dutch having a brother that also encounters Predators.

Hope we will get some casting news soon.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:19 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I rewatched all three films over the weekend - in reverse chronological order for some reason (Predators, Predator 2 and Predator) - and I know the original is supposed to be the better film and all, but I honestly think the other two are on the same level, if not at least so speaking from a purely entertainment point of view.

Well, entertainment is what it is, so that's of course a legitimate point. I think what really sets the first one apart though is the fact that John McTiernan really gets action movies. He understands the mood and pacing needed to make them really pop, and he knows what he needs from the cast to really sell a concept. Look at the sheer physicality of the cast of the first movie -- they're all musclebound meatheads, which is totally unrealistic for a merc group, but exactly what a film like this needs. This way, at the end, you can totally buy it when Dutch is going toe to toe with the Predator, and when the Predator tosses him around like a rag doll it really underscores his physical superiority. You know he's not just some punk with some fancy toys, but rather a predator on every conceivable level. And that makes it really easy to buy into the film's premise.

In Predator 2 you don't really have any of this. The cast are all built like normal people, which makes them seem less threatening (and they are, seeing as how they're ordinary cops and crooks rather than highly trained mercs), and it makes that fight at the end seem like an utter farce (which isn't entirely fair to Danny Glover, but at the time we were used to seeing him as Roger Murtaugh from Lethal Weapon, which made it hard to swallow him following in the steps of Arnold in P2). And, moreover, the Predator this time around is just some young punk who relies far more on gimmicks than his predecessor did. In the abstract that's perfectly believable, of course, but it doesn't really pop the way the first movie did.

So, that's the difference as I see it. The first movie took simple, basic archetypes and polished them to a high shine, marrying them together with perfect mood and pacing to make a rock solid action movie, while the second rose to the level of serviceable and didn't go far beyond. It wasn't bad, really, but that's all I can really say about it; it had too many gimmicks and too little focus for me to really call it great. It will be interesting to see if Black and Dekker can capture some of what made the first film so great, but I have no idea how they'll do that. That's not to say I don't think it's possible, just that I'm stumped at the moment.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:18 am

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:24 am

My faith in this film is 100% tied in with Shane Black as a filmmaker. He's a fantastic writer who delivered a masterpiece with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, took a wonderful piss out of the whole Marvel universe with Iron Man 3 (one of the better & last standalone Marvel movies, I love everything to do with the Mandarin in that) & The Nice Guys is currently the best film in theaters right but of course no one is seeing it because it's not a fucking comic book movie like that X-Men movie by the pedophile.

The Predator series is pretty much a joke with only one great movie but I feel Shane Black could do something fun & original with it especially since he's coerced Fox into giving him a budget & treating it as an event.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:41 pm

I knew SOMEONE else had to like IM3.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Film and Video”